Community
Search
Notices
ZDZ & RCS Support Direct support from Mike Dooley of RC Showcase for all your ZDZ and RCS Engine questions.

ZDZ50NG starting

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2005, 08:39 AM
juanes1969

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ZDZ50NG starting

Mike, I´ve been having a problem with my 50NG:
When I try to start it the first time on the field it starts easily, but when it´s time to start it the second time, and after many flips, I´ve had to take the spark plug out, dry it and reasemble again. After drying it, it starts on the first or second flip. My shut off procedure might be at fault, but I´ve tried two procedures:
1.- after flying, bring down the engine to a very slow idle and then shut off the ignition
2.- just bringing the idle trim to 0 and cut all gas to the engine, after it is off, shut off the ignition.

But the two ways I´ve been using seem to flood the spark for the next flight.
I´ve been getting 6780 rpms with the bambula 20x10, I don´t know if I can colse the high needle a bit more to get a few hundred rpms more, can I? I´m flying at 3000 feet above sea level so I do not know if that is a good rpm for the engine.

Well, on the flooding problem, what can i do?
Thanks in advance
John
Old 12-05-2005, 10:39 AM
Mike Dooley/RCS

Default RE: ZDZ50NG starting

recommend you do not choke for subsequent starts, depends on the muffler you are using, with the Supersonic brand we see at least 7200epm, with the BCM brand it is about 400rpm less. At 3000ft you will be approx 10% power loss, so keep this in mind as well.
Keep me posted.
Thanks,
Old 12-05-2005, 10:52 AM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

just to add-
when you shut down any gasser with the low idle -- you effectively "choke" the engine.
So restarts are sometimes a problem-
but with idle needle properly adjusted and if the restart is say - 15 minutes later - the engine is usually ready on first flip.
Also the setting of the idle speed (throttle stick) can screw this up - the engines prefer a low idle speed for restart.
The idle needle typically wants to be as lean as possible -without having the engine gasp when throtted up - WARM-
we have 40/50/80 ZDZ and they all like this same setup
For that matter the other brands of engines we have setup for friends - are the same way.
Old 12-06-2005, 08:33 AM
juanes1969

Mike, on that power loss, when the altitude is higher, does it mean that i will loose 720 rpms or i can always get the 7200 but less air moving from the prop?
As I said, I´m getting 6780 rpms and would like to tune the needles to at least 7000, will the engine give me 7000 and the power loss is the thinner air, or am I getting too many rpms already for my altitude?

Now aon the other hand, will it impove if I change the prop for a 22x8 bambula, or should I stay with the 20x10?
If I change to the 22x8, how many rpms can I expect?
I´m using a supersonic muffler that I ordered with the engine, I feel it is better than the bisson and less restrictive.
I´m not choking the engine but only on the first start.
Thanks