Community
Search
Notices
ZDZ & RCS Support Direct support from Mike Dooley of RC Showcase for all your ZDZ and RCS Engine questions.

Question on ignition battery for RCS 180 RCS180

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2006, 11:17 PM
nonstoprc
My Feedback: (90)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Question on ignition battery for RCS 180 RCS180

Hi,

I test ran my RCS 180 today with two sets of Sanyo Nicad 1100mah 4-cell ignition batteries (one is with AAU cells and the other is with AEL cells), on ground. In first run, the engine started pretty easily and ran well for 2-3 minutes (most time idle and occasionally transition). So I shut it down and waited about 5 minutes to start it again.

This time, I can no start the engine without fully charging the iginition battery. The battery is good because the charger showed 90mah has been re-charged into the battery and the voltage discharging curve is normal (stay at 4.6-4.8 V for about 1 hour under 600ma load).

I repeated the same experiment with the 2nd ignition battery. Same deal.

The conclusion I drawn is that the ignition module can not work properly when the ignition voltage drops below 4.8 voltage. However, the manual says the ignition input valtake input range is 4.5 - 6.0.

Any RCS 140/180 experts there, just wonder if your RCS motor does the same. Do you use regulated 5-cell power source for the ignition?

Thanks --nsrc
Old 03-21-2008, 04:08 PM
ltdorn1
My Feedback: (39)

Default RE: Question on ignition battery for RCS 180 RCS180

I have this same problem... bought my engine about 2 years ago. but only got it to run once. so it sat. ( i was overseas in the military) now i am back and cant get this engine to run. i can get it going with a started for about 3-5 sec then dies.

anyne have any ideas?
Old 03-21-2008, 08:00 PM
ltdorn1
My Feedback: (39)

found my porblem:

1. MAKE SURE ALL CONNECTION ARE TIGHT AND MADE.

2. use a current meter to check that you get about a 3 mA pulse for each rotation... if not then rechech your connections. if all good. module failure.

3. Spark gap recommendation is .014inches... check you spark plug.
Old 10-04-2008, 11:46 AM
Duayne P
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive had my RCS 180 for 3-4 years now with no problam. I run a 1800ma Nicad battery on it. Ive also used a 2200 ma nicl bat with no prob. Try a battery with a higher Mil amp rating. Just a sugestion.
Old 10-08-2010, 07:04 PM
poorwboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this thread is old. But I just want to vent. I bought a rcs 180 nib in 2005 and it sat till now. This engine is A FLIPPIN PIECE OF CRAP. it will not start I have tried everything. I have chinese engines and all of them are better than this POS. It has spark, it has fuel, and all it does is spit, The one time it did start, it had no power.

I have tried to get help from TBM, Mackay models, and airworld to no avail. Its not there fault, but nobody knows anything about this engine. I am so fricken pissed off at this thing I am just going to throw it away. Thanks RCS. 500 bucks down the drain. Worst engine I have ever came across.[:@][:@]