Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Starting problem ZDZ 60..SOLVED...

Hi folks..

I just want to share my experience, I have a ZDZ 60 RV, that I have been bench run for quite a while.

It allways was pig to get running.. When first it was running, all was fine. But to start it, phew.. Talk about soar arms..

Finally found out what I was doing wrong.. I was flipping the propeller to hard, with to mutch force. The slower I flip the prov over the engition point, the easyer it starts :-) And it makes me kind of smil, thinking about all the houres I spent fliping the prop has hard as I could..

So if any of you are having trouble get your ZDZ running, try the gentle touch :-) Dont know if this relates to other ZDZ engines,
    but it shure is worth trying..

Another point.. My engine is still rough at transition.. If i Tune the Low needle, it gets better, but then to a point where its too lean..
    at the low end. Stalls the engine when abrut aplying power. The engine has run about 2 gal of fuel...
    Will this rough point be there, or will it fade as the engine get some more running houres..?

Regards...

SΓΈren

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Starting problem ZDZ 60..SOLVED...

It will go away as the engine breaks in. Depending on how bad it is you could be a bit rich on the high end needle

There is a trick to starting a ZDZ and seems to work on everyone I have ever helped with.

the 5-5-1 rule

5 flips at full throttle, choke on, ignition off (gets the carb nice and web)
    5 flips at idle, choke on, ignition off (gets the fuel into the engine)
    1 flip at idle, choke on, ignition on (VVRROOMMM)

Sometimes the 1 flip can be done with the choke off and it will just continue running after it starts. It seems to me that it depends on how broken in it is

All flips are as you describe, nice and easy. I found 3W engines are the same, flip it hard and you'll flip for a while, flip it nice and easy and it's starts pretty darn quickly. I would not even call it a flip. more of a flick of the prop
    Bill James

IMAC NorthEast Regional Director
    2009-2010
    2013-2014

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ill try the 5-5-1..

But I really have no problem styrting it now, I use full choke, high idle util it fires and dies. 2-3 more flips, the choke off.
    Fires right away.. :-)

I relly hope the rough spot, wil decrease. It is not bad, but as this engine is going in a GP Pitts I reallt would like to run without
    to mutch vibration. The Pitts will be slightly overpowered with this engine, so mutch of the flying will be in the rough range of the
    engine :-( Guess I have to benchrun it a couple houres more.. I think I have my needles right, it runs strong and the plug has a nice brown tan :-)

Tomorow I will bench run my Roto 50 V2... I might use this in the Pitts later on, if the ZDZ 60 feels "to mutch"..

Love gas engines :-)

Best regards

SΓΈren

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

i thought the 2nd set of flips was full throttle, choke off, ign off??

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

My ZDZ80 will only start one way, and that is I turn ignition on, choke on, full throttle, flip until it pops (about 5 times) open choke, lower throttle to high idle and flip about 4 more times and it's running. I have tried many other ways and it just wont work, it usually floods out.
    You found the one you want to spend the rest of your life with, when you cant wait to for the rest of your life to start...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

my 80 was the same also, and i tried the 5-5-1 with my 80 and it didnt work, so i stuck to that old fashion way, but my 60 will go either way, the pop method, or the 5-5-1, i tried it for the helluvit, and that last "1" flip, starts everytime, dont think its any different from flipping to pop, then choke off, either way your flipping around the same amount of times, it was just kinda neat after the 1st flips, to turn the ing on and start it with one flip