Notices
ZDZ & RCS Support Direct support from Mike Dooley of RC Showcase for all your ZDZ and RCS Engine questions.

80RV advice

Old 06-05-2007, 11:24 AM
juanes1969

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 80RV advice

Mike:
I have an 80RV that is 6 years old. It has the Falcon ignition. The engine was used for about eleven months and after a crash I chequed it and put it away for another 3 years. I installed it in a 33%YAK and yesterday I tried to power it up.
Since I had cleaned the carb with gasoline, I don`t remember how the needles werre set before, so I went to the manual and set the needles at 1.5 turns from the closed position to start it. The engine did start and I cheked the rpms at 6400 with a bambula 24X10. So I shut down the engine in order to adjust the needles and after that the engine did not want to fire.
I cheked the ignition and it seemed to give spark, I took the spark plug out and it was OK, brand new... But it was flooded. I dried it and installed it again. Battery is a Duralite 2000mAh with a 5.1 regulator and it was OK too. All connections, tank plumbing, ect. All looked fine.
I think it might have gotten flooded, but after cleaning the spark plug it didn`t want to fire, so I took the plug out again and it was flooded again.
It has the Bing carb, and the needles are still at 1.5 turns each.
I am using penzoil 2 stroke at 40:1 and fresh fuel. The ignition is set at 6mm as the manual states. And I`m using the 5/5/1 starting sequence.
I re-checked the throttle and choke servos and their function and everything seems fine.

How can I avoid getting the engine flooded? Three years ago the engine was a bit difficult to start, but afted a while it did start and worked great. Now it gets flooded easilly and does not fire.
Do you think it may be my starting procedure? is there another way of starting it? or could it be something else?

Any advice is welcome,thanks in advance,

John Canahuati
Old 06-05-2007, 11:39 AM
Mike Dooley/RCS

Default RE: 80RV advice

I would suggest removing and dismantling the carb again to check that the metering valve is not sticking open.
Let me know.
Thanks,
Old 06-07-2007, 09:03 AM
juanes1969

Mike:
I cleaned the carb as you sugested and there was no dirt in it and the metering valve was ok. I took the plane and engine out for another try, with the needles at 1.5 out each. It started right away. This time I tried a Menz S 26X8. I started turning the needles for a clean low end and then the high. The rpms for this prop were 6600 at most and I tuned them back to 6500.
The only thing that is worrying me now is that the engine seems to be overheating. It was working for about 5 minutes and I know it is not good to keep them working on the ground, so I shut it down and waited for a while. I powered it up again and it came alive right away (first flip)
Now... the high needle seems to not be able to richen the engine, I opened it almost 1/4 turn and the rpms just went down from 6600 to 6550. The low needle was set to give a smooth idle and very good transition to full power, but the high needle didn`t change much from 6550 to 6600.
My plane will have a baffle on it, but I`m concerned about the overheating, Do you think it was only because of the engine being run on the ground for more than 5 minutes?
Any advice Mike?

thanks
John
Old 06-21-2007, 02:25 PM
gooseF22

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe open the low just a smidge. richer wont heat as bad
Check your spark plug gap with the manual. I think its .22, not sure on the older 80?
Old 06-22-2007, 08:54 AM
juanes1969

Hi Goose, thanks for the advice, I will give it a try today and see wht happens.
The gap for the spark plug is actually 0.022". I did gap the plug that way but have not tried it yet.
Mike, from RCShowcase sent a new walbro carb for it because the old one has the inside ruber sort of brittle. I was stored for more than 3 years, so it needed a new carb, I will try everything today and see how it goes.

Thanks,
John