Community
Search
Notices
ZDZ & RCS Support Direct support from Mike Dooley of RC Showcase for all your ZDZ and RCS Engine questions.

RCS 180 Problam

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2005, 10:39 AM
Duayne P
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RCS 180 Problam

I have a problem with my RCS 180. I bought it from a Friend in Florida. The prob is when the plane is in the Air it sound like it wants to die.It sputters like something is turning the ignition on and off really fast. It only does it in strait level flight. If the plane is in a hard bank or in maneuvers, nothing. As soon as it goes strait and level. Again put put put . Cant figure this out. Tried richening it out nothing. tried leaning nothing. I am running an APC 18-8 at about 8000 rpm. The engine will not hold an idle setting and the engine has started to intermittantly break up at full throttle. I tried resetting the needles but they are set where they should be. I am wondering if possibly the ignition is getting too warm. I have it mounted on the back side of the firewall inside the fuse wrapped in foam, I don't want to lower the throttle too much and go dead stick too far out from the runway. Please help.
Duayne
Old 02-14-2005, 10:52 AM
Mike Dooley/RCS

Default RE: RCS 180 Problam

see email directly from RC Showcase.
Old 06-26-2007, 04:55 AM
mrsad1

Hi Mike and Duayne,

i have just the same problem with my RCS180. I have tried a new ignition module, a new plug, but the problem is the same. On the ground seems all to be OK, but not in the air. It is like the ignition switches on and off in a half second rhytm... I have to throttle back about 30% to fire it up again. If it reaches a higher rev, it begins again... Please, any advice... Thanks.

mrsad1
[email protected]
Old 06-26-2007, 05:36 PM
Duayne P
My Feedback: (15)

I foung out that the problam was I was hitting the rev limiter. I went from a 18-8 to a 18-10 and the problam went away. Over two years now and the engine runs great. I am using a master airscrew classick 18-10. Seems to be the best prop for it. Hope this helps. If there is anything else let me know. I am still using the engine and it has the most power of any engine in its class.
Duayne
Old 06-26-2007, 06:34 PM
mrsad1

Hi Duayne,

thanks for your reply.
I have changed the 18x8 Menz to a 19x8 Metts, cleared the carb, diaphragm vented into the fuselage and see.... The problem has gone!
Thanks for your help :-)

mrsad1