Community
Search
Notices
ZDZ & RCS Support Direct support from Mike Dooley of RC Showcase for all your ZDZ and RCS Engine questions.

ZDZ 80 Problem???

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 03:07 PM
gapple12

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ZDZ 80 Problem???

Ok, I have an older version of the 80rv and have flown it only 10 times running Mobil 2T synthetic. Now the guy that had it prevoius to me said he only ran it about 30 flights, which is probably true considering the engine looks brand new. Anyways, I was out flying this morning and noticed my prop had fuel on it. After looking over the engine I realized the fuel was coming out of the front shaft where it meets the block. Is this normal? It was just a little fuel, not much. Could the front bearing be going out? Little scared to continue flying this plane. Any thoughts?? thanks
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80760.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	754466  
Old 09-02-2007, 02:06 PM
k_caller
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: ZDZ 80 Problem???

Here's what Amelung says about this (Euro Distributor):
loosely translated it says-
Leaking of the front bearing:
erlier all of the bearings were lubricated by the gas)oil mix. A so called labyrinth system should return the excess oil.
If the labyrinth is clogged with dirt/rust it cannot do this job. The result is that the oiol runs out of the front bearing.
He recommends that someone with this minor flaw should send the motor in at the end of the season to replace the bearing and clean the system. New motors are greased for a lifetime ánd feature a sealed bearing.
Since you say it is only leaking a little, then it will be ok to run it for the remainer of the flying season and then do as ZDZ recommends- send it in for a front bearing replacement and general cleaning.
BTW- I have the same problem on a 80RV now for 2 years. I'm bringing it over to him at the end of the season because I love this motor. It's still just a few drops but why not? ZDZ gives a 48 month guarantee.

Hope this helps,
k_caller

obtained from http://www.zdz-motor.de/index1.html

Undichtigkeit vorderes Kugellager
Früher wurden alle Lager über das Gemisch geschmiert. Ein so genanntes Labyrinth
sollte das überschüssige Öl zurückführen. Falls das Labyrinth durch
Verschmutzung/Ruß verstopft ist kann es diese Aufgabe nicht mehr ausführen. Die
Folge davon ist das Öl aus dem vorderen Lager austritt. Wir würden Ihnen empfehlen
Ihren Motor mit diesem „Schönheitsfehler“ nach der Flugsession einzusenden, damit
wir ihn beseitigen können. Neuere Motoren haben „lebenslang“ -geschmierte und
dichte Lager.
Old 09-02-2007, 04:26 PM
gapple12

Thanks, I will just keep flying it and check it so often. Do you have any idea what ZDZ charges to do the work? Thanks again....
Old 09-03-2007, 02:10 AM
k_caller
My Feedback: (1)

Sorry, no idea on actual costs. I'm sure you could contact RC Showcase and see what they say about the costs.
Old 09-03-2007, 11:17 AM
gapple12

Thanks for your help..............