Community
Search
Notices
ZDZ & RCS Support Direct support from Mike Dooley of RC Showcase for all your ZDZ and RCS Engine questions.

Electronic Ignition Interference issues (worries)... Help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2003, 06:36 AM
TOMAPOWA
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electronic Ignition Interference issues (worries)... Help!

Hi Guys,
I just purchased a ZDZ 40 engine. Real Nice looking! Now if it only runs as good as it looks! (from what I heard, it does!).

My issue (or worry), I've been told (and read) that you should keep ignition parts far away as possible from R/C radio gear for fear or interference issues (minimal supposedly with full shielded elec. ign. system, like the Falkon system that came with the ZDZ). Nevertheless, I'll keep them separated as far as possible for safety sakes. Now my main question,... should I also worry about the placement/proximity of the ignition battery and cable? Does any one know if shielded systems assure that no EMI junk gets onto the power leads of the ignition battery? I currently plan to have both battery packs (ignition and radio gear) side by side towards the tail of the plane (for adjusting C.G. properly). Additionally, I plan to extend the ignition battery cable a bit (from 12" to 24"). Is there potential issues with this installation ???? Help! This is my first "gasser" and want it to be a GREAT experience!

Thanks in advance!

p.s. Has any one used ferrite beads to supress interference ? (and if so, where do you place them... these good on servo leads too?)
Old 01-23-2003, 08:25 AM
SAL98
My Feedback: (6)

I am no expert being that i also just purchased my fist zdz 40, but from all the threads that i have read , your NOT suppose to have any type of electrical wiring from the engine within 12 inches minimal of your receiver. but i have seen planes with batts, throttle servos etc mounted right on the firewall next to the engine without a problem. I would suggest just keeping them separate, but if you must have them together, make sure you do an engine off and engine on range check.
I also read on horizons site that while doing your power on range test you should circle the aircraft. This will let you know if there are any dead spots at different angles of transmission.
Old 01-29-2003, 02:51 AM
sparky925

Going to PCM is a MUST............

Tony
Old 01-29-2003, 04:54 AM
TOMAPOWA

Originally posted by sparky925
Going to PCM is a MUST............

Tony
PCM is nice but I like to first correct interference issues rather than mask them. Granted, after eliminating all possible interference issues, minimizing it as best as I can,... I could see using PCM to "mask" those not-so-often glitch problems.
Old 01-29-2003, 09:05 PM
Smokey
My Feedback: (16)

Default ferrite beads

I was wondering the same thing. I use the ferrite on my high end home stereo to eliminate radio interference. I figured it would work the same on servo leads. Has anybody done this before?

Smokey
Old 09-13-2007, 01:07 PM
robteecoker

Default RE: Electronic Ignition Interference issues (worries)... Help!

I am having this problem with zdz-80. I am using a JR fm reciever and get all kind of rf problems. Does anyone know how to fix this?
I am going to replace the plug to see if the resistor is bad but after that I don't know what to do, can you help? thanks Robert