Community
Search
Notices
ZDZ & RCS Support Direct support from Mike Dooley of RC Showcase for all your ZDZ and RCS Engine questions.

ZDZ Build Up

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 03:27 PM
gapple12

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ZDZ Build Up

Ok, as I stated in my other post's, I have an older ZDZ 80RV that has about 50 runs on it so far. Now the guy I bought it from said it was only ran about 30 times, so I rounded up. I have flown it about 10 times since I bought it. Now, the engine looks like it is brand new until I opened it up. It started to leak oil out of my muffler gasket, so I pulled it all apart to see what was going on. Well, when I did this I saw a lot of build up in this engine. Is this typical to see after break in and will the engine push this out? I have ran about three tanks of Amsoil at 50:1 ratio since I bought it. I just recently switched to the Mobil 2T synthetic at 40:1 when I started noticing the build up coming out. Did I do something wrong????? Please help.......
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63993.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	761767  
Old 09-12-2007, 03:45 PM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

Default RE: ZDZ Build Up

are you saying your build up from the break in oil?
Old 09-12-2007, 03:52 PM
k_caller
My Feedback: (1)

I'm certainly no expert on this but I think this is normal except for the leak at the manifold gasket. That should not leak. Anyway, our guys over here say that it is always best to break in with a normal oil mix, then later, you can change to synthetic and it will burn cleaner. I think what you are seeing is this natural cleaning action of the Synthetic oil.
Again, that's just my opinion.
Old 09-12-2007, 05:24 PM
gapple12

Ok, I was thinking that, but wanted to make sure. I will fix the leak tonight. I picked up some Permatex thread locker (RED) and some high-temp ATV gasket maker. I used this on my 40 size gasser and seemed to work. Any one else use this? Thanks for the help....
Old 09-12-2007, 05:44 PM
gapple12

Or should I make a gasket?
Old 09-23-2007, 11:06 AM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would just clean up the surfaces with a solvent, then use Permatex Ultra Copper as a gasket. Just a thin layer. This works perfectly on all my gassers. I also like to safety wire my muffler bolts.