Notices
ZDZ & RCS Support Direct support from Mike Dooley of RC Showcase for all your ZDZ and RCS Engine questions.

spark plug falling out of zdz 80???????????

Old 02-16-2008, 10:32 AM
robteecoker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default spark plug falling out of zdz 80???????????

MY spark plug has fallen out of my zdz 80 twice now and the last time I had to dead stick in 35mph winds and I craped in my pants but landed it. My question is, the motor calls for a ngk with a tappered end and NO washer. The ingnition cover over the plug I think needs a plug washer but they don't come with it and can't find one. CAN ANY ONE HELP?????? CAN I USE A DIFFERENT PLUG WITH A FLAT END AND A WASHER?????
Old 02-16-2008, 12:28 PM
k_caller
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: spark plug falling out of zdz 80???????????

Hello!
Huh? What about the set screw or the new ones that use two set screws on the holder? Use some blue loctite to be sure they don't back out while the engine is running. I talk from experience! Push the plug firmly down on the sparkplug and then tighten the set screws. No need for anything else. Of course, if you're missing the holder, then that's a different story. You need that part!
Good luck!
Old 02-16-2008, 12:31 PM
k_caller

Oh, just noticed you said Spark Plug falling out. If that's the case, then it is not tight enough. You can find out the torque needed by referring to the ZDZ website.
Old 02-16-2008, 12:32 PM
robteecoker

The spark plug stays in the holder that is held in place with a alen screw. The plug turns in the holder and falls out of the cylinder and hangs on the end of the wire in the holder. Do you use a washer?
Old 02-16-2008, 12:39 PM
k_caller

Yeah, that's what I thought had happened after I reread your message. The first time I used my engine, that happened and it was because it was not tight enough. Got the bigger monkey out and it's never happened again. Just to be on the safe side, after a day's flight then check again. If it keeps loosening up, then there must be some other problem- maybe with threading? I've never needed an additional washer.
Old 02-16-2008, 01:23 PM
robteecoker

Well I have flown the plane a lot and now all of a sudden the plug falls out after ten minutes of flyings. It has happened twice and I tighten it with the plug wrench from RCS.
Old 02-18-2008, 10:30 AM
Mike Dooley/RCS

Once the threads get damaged from vibration when the plug gets loose, typically it will need an insert installed or a new cylinder and ring installed.
The spark plug should be checked periodically for tightness. We recommend 15-17ft.lbs with clean and dry threads.
Thanks,
Old 02-18-2008, 11:25 AM
robteecoker

When I tighten the plug, it gets tight like the threads are good. Can I lock tight the plug in place?