Notices
ZDZ & RCS Support Direct support from Mike Dooley of RC Showcase for all your ZDZ and RCS Engine questions.

ZDZ Super 80

Old 04-28-2008, 11:36 AM
DKMILLETTE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ZDZ Super 80

My son's ZDZ Super 80 is a pain to start too, I asked him to check and see what carb is on it the 38 or the 71. He has only had it since january and during a flight the spark plug blew out and stripped the threads in the cylinder. Has anyone ever heard of that happening before? Other than these problems it runs great, tons of power once it is running, I think the spark plug needs to engage more threads. ZDZ People need to look at this problem.
Old 04-28-2008, 12:24 PM
Mike Dooley/RCS

Default RE: ZDZ Super 80

We have no issues with plug threads stripping out on the Super 80's and if you look carefully the threads are fully engaged.
We recommend the 5-5-1 starting procedure.
It works EVERY SINGLE TIME.
I am hearing second hand from someone that you are sending the engine in for us to look at.
Old 04-28-2008, 02:27 PM
DKMILLETTE

Default RE: ZDZ Super 80

Mike your right when I checked it myself the threads were almost fully engaged, but I don't understand how the threads could have been over stressed. I just found out today about the recomended torque 15 - 17 ft.lbs. and I don't think it was over torqued. I guess the best fix would be a locking insert at this point.
When it comes to starting the engine we have tried the recpmended start procedure many times with no luck. I have never seen anything like it, and I have been doing this for many years. I will admit I am not experienced with the ZDZ super 80 but the starting proceedure should be pretty straight forward, fuel and spark. Is there anything factual about the WJ-38 vs. WJ-71.
Thanks, any help would be great