Community
Search
Notices
ZDZ & RCS Support Direct support from Mike Dooley of RC Showcase for all your ZDZ and RCS Engine questions.

Broken Prop bolts

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2003, 09:07 AM
Mrt1750
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken Prop bolts

Mike
I need your help Started new ZDZ80 yesterday did not tighten prop bolts properly all snapped off at hub. Give me a procedure to remove from hub! Can hub be removed if so how?
Thanks
Mike
Old 05-21-2003, 01:18 PM
rcgreg

You need a two or three jaw puller, remove the center bolt, attach the puller and tighten the puller bolt, heat the hub with a heat gun (Air only - use a paint stripper gun), the hub will expand and pop off - it takes time - be patient !
Old 05-21-2003, 03:31 PM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Default prop bolts

I got this tip from the german site.
After the hub is removed, drill the bolts out from the backside. The drill will catch and unscrew the bolts.
Old 05-21-2003, 11:19 PM
Mrt1750

Thanks for the replys I talked to RC Showcase (Mike) and he suggested I send it back it's on the way hope to have it back next week. I'll sure be more careful next time.

Mike
Old 05-27-2003, 08:23 PM
rcgreg

I tired to get some torque seeting from the factory and RC Showcase and so far only have heard from ZDZ,as I have done the samething as you did ZDZ reccommends the following procedure,
tighten the center bolt , then the propr bolts, then the center bolt again. If using a wooden prop (Zinger, Menz, Bambula) expect the wood to compress as the grain runs tip to tip. If using a Mejlik and the like, the center of the prop is hardwood with the grain running front to back, so these props will compress much less. Drill out a FLAT backpiece from a spinner that covers the entire area of the prop hub and put it behind the front hub plate. this, along with the regular spinner back plate will help spread the compression forces over the entire hub and lessen the rate of compressioh of a wooden prop. Check frequently, especially with a new prop, its a pain I know, and the manufacturer should really supply a front, rear plate combo that is the same size as the hub face IMHO, but they don't, so we have to do it for them.
Old 05-28-2003, 03:16 AM
Big_Bird

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds to me that a larger heavy duty washer for the front side of the prop would be a good accessory that RCS could add to it's line.

Ken
Old 05-28-2003, 11:51 PM
Diablo-RCU

All wood props are not created equal.
The Airwild NX props are much softer than the Menz props, so they compress a lot more over time. However, you can't have your cake and eat it too. A harder wood is denser and weighs more, so the acceleration for 3D flying isn't quite as good.