Community
Search
Notices
ZDZ & RCS Support Direct support from Mike Dooley of RC Showcase for all your ZDZ and RCS Engine questions.

5+5+1 Starting technique awesome!

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 09:45 PM
Bass1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 5+5+1 Starting technique awesome!

I've had a ZDZ 40 rvl for several years now and it always been a little finicky during the initial start of the day. I've always used the choke on, ignition on , flip till it pops then choke off, ignition on and flip untill my arm is sore Well today I tried the 5+5+1 technique thinking to myself..Yeah right.. "It's really going to start on the first flip" after the two fives of this procedure. Well to my astonishment it ACTUALLY started up and was purring like a kitten on that first flip[X(]. Then for the rest of the day maybe 2 flips with no choke and it was up and running. No more sore arm for me!! I'm thoroughly impressed!
Old 09-08-2008, 10:06 PM
kenhiraihnl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 5+5+1 Starting technique awesome!

...deleted...
Old 09-12-2008, 12:18 PM
GeraldRosebery
My Feedback: (14)

I have tried that on my ZDZ 40 each time I take it out and it has never worked for me. It is always back to the close choke, flip til it fires, open choke and flip til it starts. The restarts are the big issue with me. It is really hard to restart mine warm.

Gerry Rosebery
Old 09-12-2008, 02:58 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It may have worked today but next time who knows? Maybe it's 7 flips, 10 flips. The carb gets old and gunked up and it's 20 flips. I just keep flipping until I can hear fuel squishing around in the cyliner. Then I know fuel is there. But hey if this works for you every time that's awesome. It hasn't for me on my ZDZ 50 NG's.
Old 09-12-2008, 07:31 PM
Bass1

I just installed a brand new carb on the engine and found I could lean the low end quite bit more than what I normally had for the old carb. This really cleaned up the midrange but made it as difficult to start(initial) as it was before . So the next day at the field for the flight tests with the new carb I figured what the heck, I'll give the 5+5+1 a shot and at the very worst, I would have to remove the plug to dry it out. I was dumb founded when it started on that 1st flip and was just idling as pretty as you please. I then tried throttling up after a minute or so and I got a slight hestitation. So I opened up the low (ended up about 3/16 a turn more) and it was running perfectly and I also gained about 140 rpm with the new carb, I flew the airplane 4 or 5 more times that day and it started on the 2nd or 3rd flip each time without choking! My engine never started and ran this good since I bought it (used) several years ago. I think making sure the throttle is wide open on both of the "5"s is the ticket. Just have to (MAKESURE) you return the throttle to idle with the final "1" of the sequence with the ignition on or you could get yourself in serious trouble[X(]!
Old 09-22-2008, 06:39 AM
DMichael
My Feedback: (5)

In my experience, the key to starting the ZDZs with their rotary valves is the what happens in the second 5 of the 5-5-1 technique. However you choke the engine- ignition on til it pops or ignition off for five flips- after that you must open the choke, crack open the throttle (I don't open it all the way, just a 1/4 throttle or so) and flip it through 5 times or so. This seems to flush out any excess fuel and leaves just the right amount to start the engine. I refer to this as "clearing the cylinder"

The engine will tell you if it has too much fuel and needs to be cleared some more. If, when you flip the switch and flip over the prop, the engine gives you a single pop, don't keep flipping. Instead, turn off the ignition, keep choke off, open throttle a bit and flip it a few more times to clear the cylinder. It should be ready to start now- turn on the ignition and flip the prop.

After this, mine always start right up.

Dave Michael
Old 09-22-2008, 06:40 AM
DMichael

Double Post
Old 03-15-2009, 03:00 PM
ingenierum

Hi Guys:

Can anyboddy provide me with some information regarding the ZDZ 50 NG?? Is it reliable?

Thanks
Oscar
Old 06-17-2010, 11:21 AM
basimpsn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just have to (MAKESURE) you return the throttle to idle with the final "1" of the sequence with the ignition on or you could get yourself in serious trouble
After trying to start my zdz80 for hours. I got careless, after the 5-5 Just before putting the throttle to idle someone come up "Nice plane,, I said thanks and forget to pull the throttle to idle [X(] after 3hr of trying to start this engine, Whaaaaa the engine start at full power and broke the rope that's holding the plane [X(] and the chase is was on thank god for ZDZ bad ignition the engine died before it got to me.
Old 06-17-2010, 12:26 PM
Bass1

Yeah, Sometimes distractions can turn disasterous. Several years ago I was assembling my Aeroworks Edge at the field for the demo flight to the new owner(buyer). He was asking so many questions that my normal routine was being compromised. Anyway after I took off I handed the transmitter to the buyer and after his second roll the right wing rotated 90 degrees and the plane started to auto rotate downwards I quickly grabbed the transmitter and chopped the throttle and all we could do is watch it slowly rotate towards the turf. BOOM! Turns out during his 100 question interrogation while I was assembling the plane I missed tightening down one side of the the wing on the tube. All I could do at that point was hand the guy his check back! So the moral of this story is just "Shut up and Fly"!!
Old 06-17-2010, 01:02 PM
basimpsn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Bass1

Yeah, Sometimes distractions can turn disasterous. Several years ago I was assembling my Aeroworks Edge at the field for the demo flight to the new owner(buyer). He was asking so many questions that my normal routine was being compromised. Anyway after I took off I handed the transmitter to the buyer and after his second roll the right wing rotated 90 degrees and the plane started to auto rotate downwards I quickly grabbed the transmitter and chopped the throttle and all we could do is watch it slowly rotate towards the turf. BOOM! Turns out during his 100 question interrogation while I was assembling the plane I missed tightening down one side of the the wing on the tube. All I could do at that point was hand the guy his check back! So the moral of this story is just ''Shut up and Fly''!!
Yep saw that personally when this happen to my buddy turbo prop Porter. I just got to the field while he was flying and saw is wing bolt on is JR Radio box, I look back at the plane just in time to see the wing folded [&o]. I show him the wing bolts and he admit he forgot is wing bolts due to conversation distraction.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	zx72186.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	1454401