Community
Search
Notices
ZDZ & RCS Support Direct support from Mike Dooley of RC Showcase for all your ZDZ and RCS Engine questions.

ZDZ 80 is it too rich?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2003, 11:29 PM
3wExtra

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ZDZ 80 is it too rich?

I keep getting black residue on the exhaust. what do I need to do? my Low is 1.25-1.5 turns my High is 1.25 open. what is the deal? it does hesitate when you go from idle to WOT, as if it was too rich but starts as a dream. I am hoping I can get some feedback.
thank you!
Old 05-26-2003, 07:08 PM
My Feedback: (9)

if the motor is new and your useung the recomended penzoil then all is good yes you could lein it abit on the top end but your not going to get rid of the resedue until you change oil
I ran 2 gallons of the penzoil then amzoil 100:1 mixed @ 80:1
5gallons then started to lein it out a little at a time
Old 05-27-2003, 02:38 AM
3wExtra

Default Thank you

thank you, I will keep it rich... rather safe than sorry. it is a beautiful engine... and the H9cap 232 is a childs dream, wild and tame at the same time...
Old 05-27-2003, 08:14 PM
rcgreg

Black Residue in the exhaust is an indication that the engine is wearing, if this is a brand new engine then that would be what is expected as the ring seats - its normal for a new engine !
Every engine is different, depending on the tolerances of the particular pieces, Some of the ZDZ engines in my area have taken 3 hours of running to fully break in, some take more, some take less, at the end of it all, expect this engine to give upwards of a thousand hours before you have to replace anything you didn't fry by running lean, wear by using dirty fuel or allowing dust or dirt in, or bend by running an unbalanced prop or crunching the dirt with it ! Enjoy your engine, its among the top in its class.
Old 05-30-2003, 03:50 AM
3wExtra

Default temps

I have not run my engine full throttle, but at idel I am reading 160-140 F, what are good temp readings for these engines?
Thank you
Old 06-05-2003, 01:38 AM
rcer2000

you said you think your still rich!
Do Not Run This Motor On The RICH Side.
set the low and high needles with it running so you get the best idle and best high end rpm.
if you run it rich it will varnish the piston and cylinder and make the engine even tighter than it is when new.
just try to get the best performance you can by agusting the high and low settings and you will be more than happy after about a gallon of fuel.
p/s
make sure you have the proper oil and oil mix.