Notices
ZDZ & RCS Support Direct support from Mike Dooley of RC Showcase for all your ZDZ and RCS Engine questions.

ZDZ 160 champ

Old 11-02-2008, 04:46 AM
perche

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ZDZ 160 champ

Hi!
I have a zdz 160 well hidden in a yak , and was wondering if anybody know/remember what needle is where (is high closest to the engine?) I cant see my carb, and dont want the work pulling it out to see

I have a HUGE drop in rpm from 50% throtle to 100%- it is a used engine, both needels have been adjustet by "accident"- so now their both 1,5 turns out. I guess the engine needs to be re-tuned.

Thomas
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18059.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	1063864  
Old 11-02-2008, 09:40 AM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: ZDZ 160 champ

The HIGH needle is the one FURTHEST from the engine.
Old 11-02-2008, 10:44 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts
Default RE: ZDZ 160 champ

ORIGINAL: perche

Hi!
I have a zdz 160 well hidden in a yak , and was wondering if anybody know/remember what needle is where (is high closest to the engine?) I cant see my carb, and dont want the work pulling it out to see

I have a HUGE drop in rpm from 50% throtle to 100%- it is a used engine, both needels have been adjustet by "accident"- so now their both 1,5 turns out. I guess the engine needs to be re-tuned.

Thomas
Great pic, have you condsidered going into full scale maintenance????

But seriously mrbigg is correct on the needles, but may I suggest you aquire a couple of tools us full scale maintenance guys use all the time?

Get yourself a mirror on a telescoping handle and a good flashlight. We use 'em all the time on the full scales and I've found that while I don't use them nearly as much in my home "hangar" they are a valuable asset there as well. You can usually find some of them at your local auto parts store, but the tool trucks usually have a much better selection. They'll also come in handy when you forget which needle is which the next time you go to adjust the mixture screws...

Last, the majority of the RPM/power changes you'll see on a gasser are in the first 50% of the carb opening, so what you've seeing isn't unusual and some guys use a throttle curve programmed into the tx to compensate for that, but your throttle servo/linkage/geometry can also have a huge effect on that throttle response/travel issue.

1 1/2 turns out on each needle should be close to what you'll wind up running, but you may want to open up the low needle to about two turns initially if you'r having any difficulty getting it started it may be just a tad lean on the bottom.