Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Engine Manufacturers Direct Support Forum > ZDZ & RCS Support
Reload this Page >

eed help, I've got a ZDZ 40 that is causing me some problems. First it was surging ZDZ 40

Notices
ZDZ & RCS Support Direct support from Mike Dooley of RC Showcase for all your ZDZ and RCS Engine questions.

eed help, I've got a ZDZ 40 that is causing me some problems. First it was surging ZDZ 40

Old 04-19-2009, 03:47 PM
voodoodb
My Feedback: (98)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default eed help, I've got a ZDZ 40 that is causing me some problems. First it was surging ZDZ 40

Need help! Got a ZDZ 40 giving me problems. 1st it was surging really bad at full throttle. Ran fine at idle up to mid, but any higher and it started surging. I called RCS they said the surging was from a lean mixture, so I fiddled with the needles, but never could get it to stop. So I changed engines and now, need the 40 for another plane. I took it out and put it on the bench. Started fine but had a clicking sound when running and threw the prop braking the prop bolts. There doesn't seem to bee any slop in it at TDC, and has good compression but I can't help but think it is the rod making the sound. This engine has been problems since I bought it new. The ring broke during the 1st month I had it. Then the surging, and now the clicking sound. It is out of warranty and I really hate to send it back to RCS and have to pay more to fix it. ANyone got any ideas?

Thanks
Doug
Old 08-02-2010, 05:56 PM
DennisD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: eed help, I've got a ZDZ 40 that is causing me some problems. First it was surging ZDZ 40

ORIGINAL: voodoodb

Need help! Got a ZDZ 40 giving me problems. 1st it was surging really bad at full throttle. Ran fine at idle up to mid, but any higher and it started surging. I called RCS they said the surging was from a lean mixture, so I fiddled with the needles, but never could get it to stop. So I changed engines and now, need the 40 for another plane. I took it out and put it on the bench. Started fine but had a clicking sound when running and threw the prop braking the prop bolts. There doesn't seem to bee any slop in it at TDC, and has good compression but I can't help but think it is the rod making the sound. This engine has been problems since I bought it new. The ring broke during the 1st month I had it. Then the surging, and now the clicking sound. It is out of warranty and I really hate to send it back to RCS and have to pay more to fix it. ANyone got any ideas?

Thanks
Doug
Hi Doug:

I realize that this thread is quite old, but if you still have this engine, I might have a cure for you.

I have a 40 RV that had the same problem with clicking noise.

I gave it to a friend of mine who dismantled it and found the combustion chamber full of carbon.

He cleaned it up, put it back together and it runs great. He mentioned that I should run the engine at a 50-1 gas-oil mix, as 40-1 is too much oil.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Old 08-02-2010, 06:52 PM
voodoodb
My Feedback: (98)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: eed help, I've got a ZDZ 40 that is causing me some problems. First it was surging ZDZ 40

Thanks Dennis. I have fixed it already. IT was the thing that spins just in front of the carb. Not sure what it is called, but it had some slack in it. Tightened up the screw and the clicking is gone.

Doug