RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   ZDZ & RCS Support (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/zdz-rcs-support-204/)
-   -   ZDZ 50NG problems (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/zdz-rcs-support-204/5495386-zdz-50ng-problems.html)

aerofundan 03-01-2007 06:30 PM

ZDZ 50NG problems

Hello I curently have a ZDZ 50NG, it has the Walbro 76A 321 carb, the problem is as follow:

Its really hard to start, most of the time the only way to start it is with a starter, and even sometimes with a starter its close to impossible to start, the only way was to add fuel to the carburator with a fuel pump outside, that way the engine would start and using the fuel from the tank, the problem right now is that the engine even if you choke it, it doesnt sucks the fuel, i cleaned the carburator already a couple of times, and it never got better, also the engine is unreliable sometimes because the carb adjustment changes a lot, sometimes its lean, then sometimes its rich, very few times the engine has performed well. Some people say its my carburator, that there was a batch of ZDZ 50 with carb problems.

Please help me fix this engine, I'm curently flying it in a PA Edge 540, here is a video of it with that engine BTW, its of the few flights the engine performed well.

http://aerofun3d.com/videos/PAEdge540.wmv

aerofundan 03-01-2007 06:43 PM

RE: ZDZ 50NG problems

by the way the engine was purchased through you RCShowcase a few years ago..... we only started running it this year....

aerofundan 03-02-2007 01:22 PM

anyone????

JoeAirPort 03-02-2007 02:23 PM

Dan,

I did a lot of reading on this engine before I bought two of them (not flown yet, hope they work good this spring, we have snow now). Mine were purchased with the 201WT carb on them. The majority of the starting problems are fixed by replacing the 76 carb with a 201WT. With no exception, all the posts I have read state a major improvement or total problem solved by going with this carb. Most were starting problems.

Are you using the preferred method to start the engine the first start of the day? I think it's as follows:

1) Ignition off, choke on, WOT, flip 5 times.
2) Ignition off, choke off, WOT, flip 5 more times.
3) Ignition on, choke off, high idle, flip once and it should start.

There are tons of posts on RCU about this engine if you like using the search engine.

bobzilla 03-02-2007 02:33 PM

My 50ng is tempermental....first, I must have a very good charge on my 4cell 1600 nicad.
Second, I turn plane on..ignition off, throttle wide open, crank by hand 15 to 20 times, throttle back to a couple clicks up, hand on choke switch on radio, ignition on...flip 5 to 8 times..and when it fires..throw choke off.and let her warm up.. call it strange but this is the only way I can get to start. If I miss that 1st fire
and try again..it won't work..and just floods the engine..I have done this the same way for over a year now....BUT...once it fires..it runs great
and have never EVER quit on me in the air.

My 3w and DA's start so much easier..but then again my DA in 2 years has quit on me in air 2 times and crashed thousands of $$$ worth of planes.

just my nickel worth...
Bobzilla

aerofundan 03-02-2007 03:07 PM

Will rcshowcase replace my carb for the new one?, the engine has just passed break in, but now its getting to the point, its almost impossible to start, it has always been hard to start, but now its almost impossible, it just wont start drawing fuel from the tank. Everything seems to be fine, nothing has been changed, its making me mad that i have to ground my plane because of engine problems!!

bobzilla 03-02-2007 05:26 PM

I get great service from ZDZ...and best you send Mike a email from their website..as it does seem they are visiting this forum area too frequently.
I rebuilt my carb (its too easy) and the rebuild kit includes a new diaphram.

Something to look at closely, is if the carb insulator block is cracked, you will not get the pulse needed to work the carb....I over torqued the mounting
carb screws and cracked it..not realizing how easy it cracks. Once I put a new one on...the engine worked.
Also if you had dirty fuel or a old tank that is deteriating inside..it can plug up the very small filter that is inside the carb..and you DO get a new
replacement screen with a rebuild kit.
Hope this helps....and hope you get some answers from RCShowcase rep here also.

Bobzilla

Mike Dooley/RCS 03-05-2007 10:31 AM

Daniel, Please send me your address at [email protected]
and we will send a WT 201 carb right out for you.
Regards,

aerofundan 03-05-2007 02:30 PM

Thanks Mike, that really shows RCShowcase is an awesome company that really supports their product in a very nice way! thanks again! :D

Prapan 04-24-2007 10:15 AM

I also have a problem with "Hard to Start" on ZDZ50NG. I purchased this ZDZ from local presentative in Bangkok. I asked the owner where he ordered. It was came from Chezh Republic.
I choke the fuel and saw that there is fuel in the line and almost up to the carb. But I am not sure whether fuel got into the carb or not.

I fliped prop about 50 times and won't start. What I did to make engine start so far is as follows:-

1) Remove the plug.
2) Use hi-torque starter to turn the spinner several times.
3) Re-install the plug and then turn on Inigtion.
4) Flip prop about 3-4 times and engine starts.

So far I have to do this so many times and still cannot start engine by just turning the prop a few times like 3W or DA50.

I didn't take a look yet what carb number people mentioned in here since engine was already installed in the EDGE 540 Composite airplane./

Any comments throughly appreciated.

Prapan 04-24-2007 10:30 AM

This is engine ZDZ 50NG installed on my EXTREME COMPOSTE EDGE 540T Wing span 2 meters.