RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   ZDZ & RCS Support (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/zdz-rcs-support-204/)
-   -   first gas engine zdz40 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/zdz-rcs-support-204/8026745-first-gas-engine-zdz40.html)

mc1982 10-07-2008 10:43 AM

first gas engine zdz40

hi guys,

I've bought a zdz40 engine since my plain recommended it and im new to all this. What prop is best for this engine, 20x10 or 22x8? Also what oil should i use and what ratio's for break in and for normal running. Also, it says super 95+ as fuel does that mean unleaded 95 octane fuel?

Do i need to break in the engine with a smaller prop first or can i start off with the 22x10 or 22x8?

Another thing that is troubling me is how long should i bench run it for and what are the initial needle settings i need to use? The manual isnt the most detailed.

RonParent 10-07-2008 03:44 PM

RE: first gas engine zdz40

Just start it don't mess with the setting. Unless it runs realy bad. Use penzoil for air cooles engines and all wil go fine

k_caller 10-07-2008 04:35 PM

Hello,
welcome to the ZDZ club! I'm sure that with the proper care you will be very satisfied with this engine.
Although I do not actually have a '40' I can tell you what I've used with my other ZDZs.
Use a good 2 strike oil with a mix of 40:1 for break-in and 50:1 for later use. I usually swith to a 50:1 mix after about 5-10 hours of running.
Yes, use an unleaded type gas or as quite a few of us here in Germany do. we use the oko type gas- much more expensive but you don't have the smell of gas in the basement or car! Very wife friendly! As for props, you could try the 20x10. My personal feeling is the 22x8 would be too much. If you have a tach you could check it so you don't over rev the engine. I run mine rather conservatively (50, 60, 80,100B2,120B2)- rich while breaking in for the first 5 -10 hours. AS the previous post said- try to start by not touching the needle settings. At least here, every new engine is run at the factory to make sure it starts. All you want is to make sure you have a reliable idle and good transition to full throttle and back to idle. Wish you luck and plenty of good flying!

mc1982 10-08-2008 11:57 PM

This engine was factory set, the only prop i could find is a 20x10 mejzlik, would that be ok? What should max rpm be on ground?

k_caller 10-10-2008 07:07 AM

yes, that prop should be ok- I would think about 6200- 6500 rpm is enough.
Here's an address for you with good info about each motor- www.biggerplanes.com. I think you'll be able to find factory settings and siggestions for any zdz motor.
If not, just send an email to Johan- at [email protected]. He's a great help and located in Holland. Yes, he is an authorized factory rep and does repairs himself.
A great guy!

keary 10-10-2008 04:19 PM

Been running a zdz40 for a while using it on a Extra 260 and 1/4 scale decathlon- and have had great luck with a pro-zinger 20x8
All depends on your style,plane ect. ect.LOL
22 " is a little big for any use I have ever had. Run 22x8 on my ZDZ 50

mc1982 12-29-2008 04:35 AM

Thanks for the info could you please link me to a page i can order and import my own penzoil. Its that or mobil 1 oil which others use around here with thier mvvs's. never seen a zdz around other than mine and i plan on starting it this week.

Zeeb 12-29-2008 11:05 AM

Well if you're planning on buying oil here and sending it overseas, I doubt you'll get in time to start your engine this week.

May I suggest that you just find yourself a good dino oil that is rated for two cycle AIR COOLED engines and go with that? The important part of this is that there are lots of two cycle engine oils out there, some are for marine engines which run cooler, some are listed for garden tools and there are a few which are listed for air cooled, that's what you need.

You can go to a synthetic oil after breakin when/if you change to the 40/1 oil ratio. There's a local guy here who's done a lot of work with ZDZ including running prototype engines for them and he runs the oil ratio at 32/1 all the time. I've played around with mine a bit on the oil types and ratios and I've gone to running dino oil at 32/1 on my ZDZ's as well. Works great and they even seem to run a bit better and cooler with the higher oil content in the fuel.

mc1982 12-29-2008 04:30 PM

I want to start with synthetic and stick with the same oil, i dont mind using 32:1 ratio all the time, what do you think of mobil 1 ?

Zeeb 12-30-2008 12:12 PM

Well Mobil makes some really good oils, the problem is that there are so many of them even in just the Mobil 1 line....:)

Just make sure it's for AIR COOLED two cycle engines. In case you've not seen it, here's a link to the manual and it lists this requirement under the "fuel" section.

http://www.zdz.cz/instructionsENG.pdf

As you can see, they don't mention a specific brand like RC Showcase does nor do they show the 32/1 ratio for breaking in the engine. The subject of which oil to use and in what concentration has been beat to death here on the forums and you may want to take a look at the gas engine forum for some of those threads regarding specific oils that guys like. Personally, I think if you follow the manufacturer's recommendations, it's pretty hard to go wrong.

mc1982 02-07-2009 07:16 AM

I started the engine run in procedure but i noticed that i get alot of vibration it might just be my stand but i see where the prop screws are vibrate up and down on the running its not as smooth as id imagine but its on an engine box which is mounted on a old cerwin vega speaker. Is there any test i can run to see if everything is ok?

I throttled it up a bit and it cut out at factory settings so i opened up the low en about 1/4 - 1/2 a turn more and its fine, i've worked it about 1.2 hours on the stand, should i just mount it and fly it for the rest of the way?

I used klotz modelube fully synthetic with a 35:1 ratio for break in.

RAMMJETT 02-14-2009 09:45 PM

been looking for some advice on a older zdz 80 .ignition makes a buzzing sound when the hall sensor is held in alignment with the trigger magnet.is this normal .have nothing to compare. sparks ok .dont want to fly unless this is normal .falcon 1.03.version.thanks roger