Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

Losi Mini-T Platform - metal diff gears

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 02:35 PM
Gex_61

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Losi Mini-T Platform - metal diff gears

I happened to be on the Losi site this last weekend. While I was there, I saw their new mini short course truck. The front and rear ends both look to be mostly based off the Mini-T. One of the features grabbed my attention. http://www.losi.com/Products/Default...rodID=LOSB0208

"All-Metal Gear Transmission
The Mini SCT is ready to take on grueling off-road
courses. Thanks to all-metal gear transmission,
handling the included brushless power system is a
breeze."

I'm hoping Losi did a good job with this part. This SCT is larger and 59% heavier than the original Mini-T. If the gear can hold together for a reasonable amount of time, then it should be gold in the Mini-T. It's about time!
Old 10-19-2010, 03:02 PM
crunchNmunch

Default RE: Losi Mini-T Platform - metal diff gears

Saw a discussion on another forum where they posted video of them running in Cinncinati, small dirt offroad track, and they were beating on them pretty good.

The original Mini-T was intended/designed to be run off a 4-cell AA pack, pretty slow, so we were our own worse enemy in tearing up the equipment.
But there always was the MIP diff option to those that wanted something better than the old stock plastic diff.
Old 10-19-2010, 08:17 PM
Gex_61

wow, you just joined today?

ORIGINAL: crunchNmunch

The original Mini-T was intended/designed to be run off a 4-cell AA pack, pretty slow, so we were our own worse enemy in tearing up the equipment.
But there always was the MIP diff option to those that wanted something better than the old stock plastic diff.
The MIP diff doesn't give the Mini-T as good of a turning radius. If you loosen it to get it to turn sharper, it will slip when you get on the throttle. You have to settle for somewhere in the middle, but can't have the best of both. At that point, you might as well use the stock gears. I only use my MIP diff for dirt oval racing, where it's pretty much required.

I prefer the stock gears because you get maximum use of the diff, but of course, the plastic gears are fairly weak. With a slipper, this is a decent setup to use with most high powered brushless systems.

I don't think Losi meant for their mini's to be anything more than toys. They probably would have never bothered with this, but they now need them to run in their new truck. They really should redesign a new truck, but they keep reusing Mini-T's... As a fan of the Mini-T though, I'm happy with the occasional new parts.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:35 PM
crunchNmunch

ORIGINAL: Gex_61
The MIP diff doesn't give the Mini-T as good of a turning radius. If you loosen it to get it to turn sharper, it will slip when you get on the throttle. You have to settle for somewhere in the middle, but can't have the best of both. At that point, you might as well use the stock gears. I only use my MIP diff for dirt oval racing, where it's pretty much required.

I prefer the stock gears because you get maximum use of the diff, but of course, the plastic gears are fairly weak. With a slipper, this is a decent setup to use with most high powered brushless systems.

I don't think Losi meant for their mini's to be anything more than toys. They probably would have never bothered with this, but they now need them to run in their new truck. They really should redesign a new truck, but they keep reusing Mini-T's... As a fan of the Mini-T though, I'm happy with the occasional new parts.
Even running an extended chassis on my Mini-T's I never had turning radius issues, quit the opposite matter of fact. Mostly using the lowest traction options I could find for front tires, and tuning out a lot of the servo throw on the controller. But how tight or not tight they turned, it could always be adjusted with the suspension via shock oil and spring changes. Meanwhile the MIP diffs I've used performed flawlessly, never had one go out during a race.

I'm happy they finally got around to designing something in which its wheelbase wasmore correct relativeto its width, and it's good to see that everyone won't have to wonder where hop-up parts and bling and decent shocks are going to come from as they're already out there left over in Mini-T overstock bins in hobby shops all over the world. I may build one up just because of all the extra parts I've got stored away in the workshop.
Old 10-20-2010, 03:15 PM
Gex_61

There must be a differnece in our tracks (22'x35' dirt offroad). I've tried the MIP diff several times, but never could get faster lap times overall. If I added to the servo throw to force it to turn more, and tightened the diff to get more power to the wheels, it would just seem jumpy and hard to predict. I tried mostly everything in between, but no luck. Off-power steering with the geared diff just can't be matched. It's smooth and predictable once your setup for it.

I like the Mini-T's stock wheelbase. What the heck?
Old 10-20-2010, 03:25 PM
crunchNmunch

ORIGINAL: Gex_61

I like the Mini-T's stock wheelbase. What the heck?
Never heard of a viablemotorized vehicle in which it's width was larger than it's wheelbase.......................except those goofy little spin like a top toy cars the kids used to buy.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:47 AM
trx1
My Feedback: (2)

does this fit in the mini-t tranny?? has anyone tried?
Old 11-12-2010, 09:17 AM
Gex_61

For under $20, I'll definitely be buying it to try. I'm assuming it fits the Mini-T by this description.[sm=thumbs_up.gif]
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=LOSB1065

Stay tuned...
Old 11-15-2010, 03:14 PM
neiloid

Yup, it's official and rather exciting too Due early december.

[link=http://www.losi.com/Search/Default.aspx?IsNew=True&SortBy=LatestRelease]metal mini T gear bag[/link]

Any hope for metal gears for the MLST....
Old 11-15-2010, 10:34 PM
yotaman1991

i've put the gears for the mini-t in my mini ram so i'm thinking they fit will buy and tryasap.
Old 11-16-2010, 10:48 AM
Gex_61

ORIGINAL: neiloid

Any hope for metal gears for the MLST....
Yes. I looked, and the MLST's stock center diff shares a part number with the Mini-T's stock rear diff - LOSB1066 I believe.

I'm not familiar with the MLST since I haven't owned one. Since this is for the center diff, wouldn't it be better to use a spool? As I fan of the 1/8 LST, I think that's what I would like to do if I had one. Is the rear input/pinion gear able to take the stress?
Old 11-16-2010, 02:09 PM
yotaman1991

well as far as the mini lsts go just get the ones from the lst2 they are metal ,on the t i don't know. hey gex 61-sometimes i get so confused it bores me.....