Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

Losi Mini Rockstar SCT Setup?

Old 06-08-2011, 06:03 PM
mydartswinger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Losi Mini Rockstar SCT Setup?

Good evening all,
I recently picked up one of these trucks and have been thoroughly enjoying it thus far. I've upgraded to a 3S 35C LiPo and ES3 connectors, which has made the truck ballistic (IMHO. This is also my first mini with BL, as my last mini was a brushed Mini T.). I did try going to an 18T pinion, but found it to be a bit too fast. I've also changed out the shocks for Integy threaded body shocks for ease of adjustment. I filled the shocks with 30 wt. in the rear and 80 wt. in the front. I know 80 sounds a bit overkill, but for a baseline I wanted to keep the shocks somewhat close to the OEM shocks, and the 30 wt. made the Integy shocks MUCH softer in front than the stock ones were. CVDs will likely be my next upgrade to keep from losing the dogbones when the ball cups pop loose and let the wheels flap.

There are some things, however, that are bugging me a bit about the truck. Some of which are issues that the original Mini T had, and I fear there's no fix for but a light touch at the controls. I haven't had it on a track yet, but would like to get some of these things worked out in the grass before attempting the track.

The most prominent of these issues is that the truck seems very rollover prone. This happens both in turns and under hard acceleration (back to throttle control), as well as when hitting any kind of jump. In turns, unless I'm going <10 mph, she'll lift both wheels on the inside of the turn and roll over. If I'm going <10 mph (rough estimate, maybe even less), she'll just lift the wheels. If I'm going just over 10, I can sometimes catch it in time and counter steer to set the wheels back on the ground. If going much more than that, she rolls completely over. On acceleration, she wheelies easily, and if I don't back off, she flips over on her lid. With the 18T pinion, I could have it going at half throttle, then punch it, and she'd promptly flip over. When hitting a sudden bump of about 1/4"-1/2" (like going from concrete to grass) at any kind of speed, she instantly starts to tumble.

Really, the only other issue is that I can't use the brakes on this truck without spinning around and sometimes flipping if the truck is going fast enough. This is an issue I had on the Mini T as well, and was never able to resolve it.

Does anyone have any ideas on where I can find a setup sheet or have any tips on setting up this truck to prevent some of this (ride height, caster, camber, shock oil wt., springs, shock position, etc...)? Also, has anyone come out with better tires for this truck yet? I've ran 3 pack through it and the rear tires are already nearly bald.

Please don't use this thread to start a debate over Traxxas vs. Associated vs. Losi or 2wd vs 4wd. I chose this truck, I am mostly happy with this truck, I don't wish to get one of the others at this time, and I'm just looking to get some advice on setting up THIS truck. (I've seen this happen on the other threads I've found where the Mini SCT was mentioned, and was unable to find what I was looking for).

Thanks in advance,
Shannon
Old 06-09-2011, 07:47 AM
robwiljas

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Losi Mini Rockstar SCT Setup?

I've got the same truck and I also really enjoy it. I know what you mean about it flipping though. I run mine on 2s LiPo with a 16t pinion, I can imagine how fast it is on 3s. I'm going to try adding some lead weights to mine as I think the problem is it's just way too light. I've read on other forums where people have done that and it helped a lot.
Old 06-10-2011, 01:26 PM
truckzilla

hey guys.
I got one of these a fem months back. I changed the pinion spur, I think to a 20/50 or so, as it way way too slow stock. Even with the stock batt I had major handling issues on low traction surfaces like fine gravel.
The thing would just spin round in circles I added about 30g of weight at the back under the diff, it helped a lot.
Also as I pulled mine apart without checking to fit rear arms which way does the pivot block go in stock, is it narrower at the front or rear? If they just grabbed a mini-t rear and stuck it in, the block might be backwards wider at the front and this could cause bad handling.
Old 06-10-2011, 02:34 PM
robwiljas

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine came with the block set narrower in the front like it should be.
Old 06-10-2011, 03:54 PM
truckzilla

Yeh I didn't think they would overlook this when they designed it.
Cheers

mydartswinger maybe try some neg camber and thicker front oil to stop your traction rollover you could try pro-squat if your going to mainly run on smoother flat high traction surfaces.
This may help with your wheely problems or just bang on a wheely bar and go nutz.