Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

crt .5 or stampede 4x4

Old 09-26-2012, 01:12 PM
echthelion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default crt .5 or stampede 4x4

so ive given up on the savage XS and plan to sell it and trying to pick a replacement RC.

im looking at the traxxas stampede 4x4 roller or a crt .5 and converting it

wondering what would be the bestbasher
Old 09-26-2012, 01:40 PM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

Default RE: crt .5 or stampede 4x4

Why are you giving up on it?
Old 09-26-2012, 01:45 PM
echthelion

just been unlucky with it something seems to go wrong about every 4 packs
Old 09-26-2012, 01:52 PM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

That's to bad... PM me what you are selling it for...
Old 09-29-2012, 07:14 PM
echthelion

anyone?
Old 09-29-2012, 08:19 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

umm 2 completely different things, and 2 different scales...

As a owner of both the pede 4X4 will obviously drive over more obstacles seeing it is bigger, but will need a more expensive esc/motor setup(I spent $90 on an ESC, and $20 on a motor well over a year ago, but I got a extremely cheap and poor motor though). And if you fling in a center diff it actually handles pretty damn well.

The CRT.5 is way cheaper seeing you can have the full kit with the bits to make it electric for $120ish with tires and a body. Electronics will set you back another $120-130ish (estimated don't feel like looking up cost). Due to it being 1/12th it won't be able to drive over as much

The diff itself for the pede costs close to half the cost of the CRT.5 if you want to think about it. A setof tires fr the pede will cost close to the cost of the crt kit too

So in essence it depends what you want to drive on. Dirt, concrete, and very low cut grass the crt.5 will do well. The pede will do well on those too, as well on a more rough off-road setting but will set you back way more money.
Old 09-29-2012, 08:36 PM
iexion

Not saying you cant race a stampede with some suspension tweaks, but the crt is designed more as a true truggy so it more for racing. The traxxas will have a better resale value tho.
Old 09-29-2012, 10:59 PM
echthelion

well i have all the electronics just need a roller and theres not many 4x4 for 1/10 electronics and i dont want a SCT atleast not yet
Old 10-01-2012, 09:01 AM
Eman77

I think you'd be more impressed with the quality of the parts on the CRT vs. the Stampede, but as mentioned, it is smaller.

I've upgraded wheels/tires on my CRT so it's more capable with ground clearance, but it won't match a Pede there.

But backing up a step - what kind of stuff broke on your XS? If we first see how you used the XS (and how it broke), that might help.
Old 10-02-2012, 03:42 PM
echthelion

i know the crt is smaller then the stampede but its not like the XS is huge, i only picked the stampede because i can get a roller rather cheap and theres not many 4x4 trucks for 1/10 electronics thats not a SCT. now ive not realy broken anything other then the idler gear when my pinion blew up ive just had back luck with it 4 months 20packs and about half tho packs are just breaking in my lipos going up and down the street half throttle. seems about every 4 packs somthing stops me from drivin it. from my pinion to my center cups(know problem) to my RX antenna getting choped in half of my 5 rc's this one is cursed
Old 10-03-2012, 05:33 AM
Eman77

Well, the CRT's drive train is supposed to be quite stout. The entire vehicle is. I haven't abused mine enough to back that up yet, but I was impressed with the quality of it as I built it. I did an electric conversion on it and put more capable wheels/tires, and would suggest the same if you went that route.

They are supposed to be very durable, which it seems is what you're after.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:34 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: echthelion

i know the crt is smaller then the stampede but its not like the XS is huge, i only picked the stampede because i can get a roller rather cheap and theres not many 4x4 trucks for 1/10 electronics thats not a SCT. now ive not realy broken anything other then the idler gear when my pinion blew up ive just had back luck with it 4 months 20packs and about half tho packs are just breaking in my lipos going up and down the street half throttle. seems about every 4 packs somthing stops me from drivin it. from my pinion to my center cups(know problem) to my RX antenna getting choped in half of my 5 rc's this one is cursed
honestly I wouldn't use 1/10th electronics in a pede 4X4 it put a LOT of stress on them, and if you look from what I seen a majority of the people replace the setups with 1/8th scale buggy electronics(pedes harder on the electronics due to the ginormous tires). I use 1/8th scale buggy electronics in mine(120A ESC, 100A motor), and they still get damn hot. I tried 1/10th 60A ESC in mine before and after 1/16th of a mile the sucker was at 145 degrees on pavement. As I've lost my thermometer so I can' say what it runs at now, it runs hot, but after 30 mins of mostly in the grass bashing it didn't thermal though.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:34 AM
echthelion

yeah im thinking the crt more then the pede just because of the price

the system i have is the castle 3800kv sidewinder combo
Old 10-03-2012, 07:58 AM
wyumez

I have a Savage XS and a CRT.5. I like both of them. It's a shame that your Savage didn't meet your expectations.

I was in the same boat as you but got the CRT to be about the same size as the Savage. The handling is unrivaled! I've only had problems with a leaking shock and my electronics.

The CRT.5 is more customizable to suit your driving style. Parts are a little difficult to find, but you will get more creative over time.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:14 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: wyumez

I have a Savage XS and a CRT.5. I like both of them. It's a shame that your Savage didn't meet your expectations.

I was in the same boat as you but got the CRT to be about the same size as the Savage. The handling is unrivaled! I've only had problems with a leaking shock and my electronics.

The CRT.5 is more customizable to suit your driving style. Parts are a little difficult to find, but you will get more creative over time.
do you mean LHS difficult? or internet difficult?

only issues I really ever had was the C-hubs crappin out but STRC makes aluminum ones for $25, and alum knuckles for $25 way better quality than ofnas C-hubs, and knuckles (as they want $75 for C-hubs, and $75 for knuckles [:@]) even with those added its still relatively cheap compared to most RC kits
Old 10-03-2012, 07:31 PM
echthelion

not to worried about parts with ofna. im rebuilding a ofna cd3 and its been discontinued for like 6 years and i can still find realy anything i need. and i dont think any of there models now share any major parts with the cd3 and they still have stock.

think imma go with the crt you realy cant beat the deal... hell i may buy a 2nd down the road if i like it to just have a parts car and id still be under most other cars cost
Old 10-04-2012, 07:06 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

well parts should be no issue the nexx10sc shares majority of parts, and the few it don't will fit anyways if you can't find the CRT one
as well as the SCRT10 shared the majority.
Old 10-05-2012, 04:52 PM
echthelion

well my crt shiped today
Old 10-08-2012, 05:27 AM
Eman77

Sweet! I see that the CRT.5 is no longer available from ofnawarehouse!
Old 10-08-2012, 08:49 AM
wyumez

::sighs:: my brother broke the bellcrank on his crt.5. I'm trying to find a cheap replacement. It looks like the scrt10 is also compatible with it.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:51 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: wyumez

::sighs:: my brother broke the bellcrank on his crt.5. I'm trying to find a cheap replacement. It looks like the scrt10 is also compatible with it.
actually its the same exact part.
I broke my ones bell crank, and got the CNC aluminum one... But that isn't really recommended as the servo saver part of the bellcrank doesn't seem to work with the aluminum version. So I ended up putting some spacers under the servo, and slapping a servo saver on the servo itself (one of the higher quality ones that don't have play)

But my stock bell crank lasted like 2 years till I slapped 1/8th buggy rims on it with a SCRT10 chassis, and jumped it into a brick(well more like hit a bump, and went airborne)... Can't blame the bell crank though as the hit was enough to sheer the arm off too(think 40+ mph [:@]).