Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

mini-t help with battery/esc/motor combo

Old 11-04-2015, 07:30 AM
karl210

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mini-t help with battery/esc/motor combo

Hi,
I used to be really into rc cars when i was younger. I was sorting out the garage yesterday when I came across my old Losi mini-t and have decided to get it going again.

Its been in there for around 10 years but i think it had the following mods
Krystal 3 motor
6 cell gp 1300 batterys
standard size servo

If I remember right it ran like a bat out of hell for a little while untill the standard esc/receiver fried. But i had a spare mtronics sonik 3 tempo esc which i put on and again ran well for a little while but this one also fried.

So i need a new esc that will run my battery and motor combo, just something cheap as possible. Im in the uk so we may have different products available so if you could give me some advice on what i would be looking for that would be great.

Thanks
Old 11-05-2015, 09:13 AM
karl210

Ok, so ive re-soldered up my battery pack and i think they are dead. Tried to charge them up but the charger wont recognise them, but its recognising another battery pack, but thats a full size one off a 1:10 car so cant use them anyway.
Do we have any reccomendations for batteries too? I want to run 6 cell, and the question still remains about the esc, im trying to do some reading up and understand it all but its been a while so its still early days. Most people are suggesting it goes off what turns and how many amps the motor is? Unfortunately i cant find this info on this motor anywhere. May just end up going for a brushless set but dont want to resort to that just yet.

Any help as i would love to get this thing going asap, thanks
Old 11-05-2015, 01:08 PM
jimjeep

Before you delve too deep into reviving your old Mini-T you might want to add up the pricing of an ESC, motor, and a couple of battery packs (that pretty much only fit Mini-T) and weight that against the pricing of some of the current offerings out there for a mini. As for an ESC both HPI and Duratrax made some nice small ones suitable for 1/18th scales that could be had at a lower price. Since you're in UK you might want to see about an ESC from a Carisma mini scale as well. Good luck and happy hunting... Cheers!
Old 11-06-2015, 12:47 PM
karl210

Thanks, well ive been searching for an esc but i dont want to choose the wrong one and burn it out for the third time. So ive found a brushless setup for the price of a cheap esc: http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...204715&alt=web
If it lasts me 4 months i will be happy, worries i might start stripping the gears and diff so i will set the trim back so its not running 100%
So my question now ia what sort of battery would i be looking at? Been advised lipo but no idea where to start
Old 11-12-2015, 12:55 PM
jimjeep

You might want to just stick with a NiMH battery and see how the rest of the truck holds up before going with a LiPo. If you're set on the LiPo then measure an old NiMH or the maximum dimensions that the battery compartment will accommodate and search for a suitable 2-cell LiPo that will fit into there (probably somewhere in the 800-2200 mah range) and don't forget a lipo balancing charger. Maybe something from a small copter or plane might fit the bill. Like an E-flite EFLB12502S I didn't see specs on its dimensions on the distributors site, but I will see if there is one at the store this week and if so I will measure it up for you.
Old 11-14-2015, 04:43 AM
karl210

Thanks,
I did a bit of research and ended up ordering everything. Just wanted it up and running cheap as possible really so ordered the brusless set, a new radio, lipo battery and charger etc.
The car ran really really well, cleared out my work unit and made a track up and it took a couple of days of hard abuse, the 1500mah battery as the biggest capacity i could fit and it lasted forever. A friend with a 1300mah (i think) nimh had to charge his 2-3 times before mine ran out.
As advised everywere though the diff has given up so in the market for one of them at the moment.

I wouldnt mind getting into racing so i need to decide which route to take 1:18 electric or 1;10 electric buggys. Really like the look of the losi mini8 but we will see what the local tracks run.