Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > 1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars
Reload this Page >

I have a vision for the future of scale-model vehicles.

Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

I have a vision for the future of scale-model vehicles.

Old 10-27-2017, 12:01 AM
davenport_95

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have a vision for the future of scale-model vehicles.

How about a fully-autonomous train layout in G scale? There could be autonomous road vehicles on the railroad layout as well. Trains could operate autonomously or manually and cars, trucks, buses, horse-drawn buggies, stagecoaches, SUV's and vans would be autonomous moving scenery. Rail vehicles as trolleys could also be put into autonomous operation. All the vehicles would be radio-controlled and need some type of navigation system on the model layout like GPS. The vehicles would use the best rechargeable battery technology for their size and scale. They would all feature lifelike lighting and sounds. There could be autonomous, boats, ships and aircraft as well on the layouts. Autonomous-flying helicopters would be ideal. Fixed-wing airplanes for a train layout would not work too well unless they are simply static models on the ground.

The powered rail vehicles as train locomotives or streetcars could recharge their batteries at refueling stations. Robotics would connect them for recharging at designated stopping points on the layout as in engine yards at scale fuel docks. Likewise, the road-going vehicles as trucks and automobiles could recharge at scale-model fuel-filling stations or gas stations using hidden robotics technology. A robotic arm could come up through a trap door in the pavement to connect with the plug in the vehicle's under body. Ships, helis and boats could "refuel" likewise with robotics too as all vehicles would be battery-electrics with radio-control.

The autonomous operation of trains would include following railroad signal logic, blowing the whistle as appropriate, coupling, uncoupling, following speed limits, stopping at passenger stations and switching operations.

Rail cars would have a mechanical parking braking system to prevent rolling when on grades and uncoupled from engines. Road-going vehicles could have a brake system for parking as well.

Boats could automatically pull in and out of slips and docks as part of an autonomous operation sequence. Cars and trucks could park occasionally in parking spaces and back up as well. Helicopters would fly a programmed trajectory including landings, hovering and taking off.

I also want high-quality scale vessels, vehicles and aircraft to boot. This would require the world's most advanced electronics engineering to shoe-horn fancy electronics into very tight confines. All the vehicles would have scale interiors and people/animal figures as well.

I want G-scale Kenworth and Peterbilt semi trucks that autonomously back up trailers, as if a skilled human driver were at the wheel, and hook up or drop them as well. The trailers would have to be precisely parked or backed up to a loading dock. The landing legs on trailers would be operational and automatic too. The doors at the back of the dry van would open and close by themselves.

The road going vehicles would follow strict speed and traffic rules stopping at stop signs and at grade crossings as necessary. The automobiles would not be slot cars for guidance but free-steering like full-size highway autos. There could be wireless electronics devices placed above the layout to function like orbiting GPS satellites. Even the train layout has elevation, bearing, heading, longitude and latitude.The scale 'GPS' system could be accurate within +/- 1/100th millimeter. The layout, track, waterways and road systems, would have to be precisely mapped.

In short, I want a scale-model world as real as it possibly could ever get. Something like a computer simulator game but with all content being 3-D and physical.

Last edited by davenport_95; 10-27-2017 at 03:33 AM. Reason: correct typos