Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

help picking a mini for my daughter

Old 11-19-2017, 04:50 PM
dieseltech320

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help picking a mini for my daughter

Hey everyone I'm kinda new around here mainly just read and view don't usually post much, definitely not new to the rc scene though. Anyway I'm looking for some helping picking out a rc for my daughter. She is ready for her first hobby grade rc. She is almost 6 but has been driving her toy grade one for a while now and has gotten very good at it and just isn't happy with it when driving at the same time as me due to well ya'll know they just aren't fun! She does very well driving my losi mini 8 as long as I have the throttle backed down to where it doesn't go too fast, so I'm confident she will do fine with one. I want around a 1/24 scale for indoor use. I don't need to have anything super heavy duty since it will not be bashed around like most of my rc's get. But I certainly am not saying that I want the cheapest thing is not what I'm implying. So what I found I think I want is the ECX 1/24 roost. It is around the size I want, the radio looks to be on the smaller side for her small hands. It is 4x4 which I like for helping run on carpet and not spinning all the time on the kitchen and garage floors, and for light outdoor use on smooth dirt surfaces. speed is acceptable for her skill level. I looked at several others and this was what seemed the best. I know losi sells one the same scale and I love their products. My losi mini 8 is one of my favorite rc's. But from seeing it and watching a couple of videos it seems that the 1/24 losi will have problems on hard surfaces wanting to just sit there and do donuts due to being 2wd unless you are good with throttle control and being able to feather the throttle which is something she still needs a little learning with. Any help you guys and galls can provide I would certainly appreciate. Thanks!

Cody
Old 11-26-2017, 06:45 PM
phmaximus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

here man, the losi range has been discontinued for some time and the 1/24 ones are all 4x4 its the 1/32 micro T and DT thats only 2wd.
but the good news is ECX (horizon hobbies low end brand) has started makeing a simular replacement. Also WLtoys makes a awesome version as well that uses a metal chassis and bellcrank steering.

IMO kits tend to trash micro rc cars....I strongly reccomend thinking is something a bit bigger going to last longer??? I dont want to put you off the idea, but my kids destroy my micro cars... all it takes is them to acedintently step on it and its all over... (my kids have broken about 6 micro losi suspension arms, 4 tie rods and 3 pluss shock towers and on my micro crawlers they have broken off, mirrors, windscreen wiper, propshaft, wheel, shocks and a link or 2 but they have never broken anything on a 1/16-1/5 rc car)(yes... i let my 3yo at the time drive a losi 5ive)

The biggest issue I find.... I can get my kids any rc car in the world and all they want to do is drive daddys car... so I just reccomend to people buy a decent car for yourself and share it with the kids... say something like another mini 8ight, sure it cost more, but should last for years and years to come
Old 11-26-2017, 06:49 PM
phmaximus

here bud, this is the WL toys one i referenced..... it awesome... check it out
SCT
https://www.banggood.com/Wltoys-A232...l?rmmds=search
RALLY
https://www.banggood.com/WLtoys-A242-124-4WD-Electrical-Rally-Car-RC-Car-p-999869.html?rmmds=search&cur_warehouse=CN
Old 11-26-2017, 06:53 PM
phmaximus

and IDK much about these,,, but to a kids eye it looks more like daddys losi 8ight and are cheap

https://www.banggood.com/Wltoys-A959...r_warehouse=CN
Old 11-26-2017, 07:00 PM
phmaximus

oh wow,,, its heaps faster than i thought.... I think u would need to slow it down with the EPA settings and gear it down to get the torque lower in the rpm range

Old 11-26-2017, 07:01 PM
phmaximus

Old 11-26-2017, 11:35 PM
dieseltech320

Cool thanks for the reply, Iíve never heard of those before. I do like the size and style of those. But Iím still leaning towards something like what I was already looking at only because of the size. Right now Iím looking for an indoor rc since itís dark when I go to work and dark when I get home from work so weekends would be the only play time she got if it was bigger and needed to be outside. Even my mini8 is a lil too big to enjoy playing with indoors, especially the speed of it as well as the one in that video. That one is definitely worth considering for the next step up. Which sheís already ready for lol. Loaded up this weekend and took family out and all the rcís couple of cars, drone, boat. She ended up driving my yeti xl with no problems! I loved watching her do it. But you were right I brought small stuff for her and ended up her asking to drive the biggest one lol
Old 11-29-2017, 03:12 AM
MongoPete

This is not fast, but I think it will be fun for inside play. I have been waiting impatiently for the 1/24 ECX Barrage scaler to come out. I found this copy of it and ordered it today. I'll still get the ECX Barrage though, so my 7y/o and I can crawl together indoors. Have a look:

https://www.asiatees.com/article?RGT...rawler&id=3087
Old 11-29-2017, 10:27 AM
dieseltech320

Thanks for sharing that. I really like the looks and specs of that, might consider getting that one. I went ahead and ordered the roost for her but I know she’ll want me to drive around the house with her so this would be perfect for me cuz I’d enjoy this more anyway. And most of all she would be able to say hers was faster now! Lol. I didn’t know they had crawlers of this scale that actually had full transmissions and sliding driveshafts, really cool. This is why I post the questions cuz even with as much as I searched for small scale rc’s I didn’t come across either of these. I’ll be on the lookout for that other ECX you mentioned. Wife is gonna go crazy when she knows I’m getting another for myself lol.
Old 12-01-2017, 08:21 AM
MongoPete

Get her some flowers and let her drive sometimes For me, it's all about fun with the boy.