Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

help needed engine heating and smoking

Old 02-05-2020, 03:20 PM
ecx guy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question help needed engine heating and smoking

i have a ecx ruckus and i changed the motor pinion gear and the first time i turned it on and applied power the motor wouldn't turn so i loosened the screws and applied power and the motor turned all right but it was a lot quieter than it used to be but the motor lets a bit of smoke out not much just a little i remember it did this when i first got it maybe just running the new pinion in

any advice would be much appreciated
Old 02-08-2020, 01:34 PM
Big Alice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A smoking electric motor is not a good thing. Just guessing, check the gear lash isn't too tight or maybe too tall of a pinion. You running it in grass? If the motor is smoking, don't run it till you find the problem or you'll be buying a new motor.
Old 05-24-2020, 01:48 PM
funcentric

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+1.
If you changed the pinion gear, I'm guessing you geared up with a higher tooth and the overall diameter is larger. The motor therefore needs to be pushed further away from the spur gear than your original setup. If you didn't adjust the motor mount location, yes, the gear mesh will be much too tight. That would cause just too much friction and work the motor too hard.