Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

New HBX Rampage 18859E - Engine Issues?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2020, 01:06 PM
TraceyWheeler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question New HBX Rampage 18859E - Engine Issues?

Hi everyone, I am back into the RC world after 20+ years or so. My last RC was a Tamiya Grasshopper!

Anyway, I purchased a HBX Rampage 18859E from Banggood and for the first 20 minutes or so it went great.

However, now when I press the trigger it will move forward like 2 cm then stop. I release and repress the trigger and it does the same thing, forward 2cm and stop... Repeats infinitely.

Here's a video I made of it: streamable.com/hoqep

Someone said it could be the ESC so I replaced that and it made no difference. Also tried different batteries and also took apart the remote control that it comes with... nothing has worked.

By process of elimination it must be the engine?

Cheers
Old 05-03-2020, 08:54 PM
funcentric

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I watched your video, but I'm curious if the wheels continue to spin with the RC upside down. It would confirm whether the gears are not turning or if it's not strong enough to move its own weight. I have the HBX Hailstorm, so very similar.

I'd recommend reaching out to Haiboxing through F@ceB00k or Instagram for assistance. They can actually be reached even though they're in China. I assume you're not local there. I can't imagine it would be the ESC. ESC's don't fade away. They either work or they don't work. So if it's moving, it works.

My first thought was the batteries too, but I'm sure you would've tried that and it sounds like you did. I mean no offense, but have you been charging them properly? Storing them at 50% charge if put away for more than a week, not storing it full and not ever running it until empty? I'm curious if all your batteries have gone bad if they haven't been managed properly. I'm guessing in the above scenario, the wheels continue to spin when the car is placed upside down and it doesn't stop like it does when on the floor. Just a hunch.

I wouldn't bother messing around with the transmitter/remote anymore. I don't think that's the culprit. My guess is that it's the spur gear. You may have to take apart the part that the motor feeds into, the pinion and spur to see if anything is broken. If you've been running it hard, it might be stripped out.

If it's not worth your trouble, pick up a HoSpeed 18302. It's $45-50 shipped and can take a beating.