Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

Latrax Rally on 3S, it's kinda wild

Old 02-20-2020, 06:04 PM
dabigboy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Latrax Rally on 3S, it's kinda wild

No replies to my previous post on the hotrod Latrax, maybe no one is messing with these anymore. For anyone interested, I got my custom build switched over to a better ESC and 3S lipo. With the other mods, it flies, and is still reasonably controllable. Definitely a far cry from the stock Rally that could barely go in a straight line even with just a 2S and brushed motor.

I have yet to clock it....was trying to hit 30mph with this build, pretty sure I've blown right past that.

Matt

Last edited by dabigboy; 02-20-2020 at 06:07 PM.
Old 02-21-2020, 11:13 AM
ryan_t888

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks great dabigboy! It seems to rip pretty good with your 3s setup. What motor / ESC / battery / gearing are you running?

I just converted a Latrax Teton over to Brushless and 2s 2200mAh. It's for indoor only. I am curious what kind of top speed its capable of on 2s.
Old 02-23-2020, 10:45 PM
dabigboy

Motor is a 4800kv 4 pole, 35A ESC, by GoolRC (cheap Asian brand sold through Amazon, but seems to be good stuff). I went with a 20t pinion, stock spur gear.

The motor came with a dinky 2S 25A ESC. I didn't realize the ESC was only 2S, so I ordered another motor/ESC combo from Amazon, this time a 35A ESC that supports 3S. It came with a 3930kv motor, but since I already had tons of torque and was going for top speed (RPM), I kept the 4800kv motor. This worked out great, because the 4800kv happens to fit the Latrax perfectly with no mods, the lower KV motor looks like it would require some hacking of the chassis. The dinky ESC and 3930kv motor will probably go in my Prerunner, or maybe a second-hand XRay M18 (I keep seeing used ones on ebay with brushed running gear).

I still haven't got a speed reading on the 3S, but with 2S I was getting an easy 25mph. I actually expected more with the 20t pinion, but it seems like just going brushless, without any other mods, does not necessarily give a big speed boost (although it definitely helps acceleration).

Matt
Old 03-03-2020, 12:43 AM
dabigboy

Just a quick folllow-up.....I finally GPS'd this thing, getting 37mph. Yeowza! And I keep breaking things....I'm impressed with how far these mods have taken this car, but I really feel I'm pushing the limits of the design. I probably won't make any more big changes to it, just bash it in the street and try not to break it too bad.

I might play with my spare Prerunner next. Its wider chassis and use of conventional 1/10th on-road wheels is interesting. Even in stock configuration, it is FAR more stable than a stock Rally.