Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

RC for backyard track

Old 04-21-2020, 07:42 PM
mrblh712
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RC for backyard track

Hello everyone, I was looking for some advice on a RC car, truck, buggy, or truggy I should get for my backyard RC track. The track is about 35X60. Its not a smooth professional track by any means there are some small roots, loose dirt leaves etc on the track but it is clear and pretty good for a DIY project. I have had a blast running my Traxxas Stampede on it and its handled it well but I think this vehicle might be just a little too big for the track and was thinking of going 1/14 scale or 1/16 scale for it. Would a 1/14 or 1/16 scale handle uneven off road backyard dirt terrain well? My fear is that a smaller scale vehicle will be bouncing around all over the place vs 1/10 scale but perhaps they would do fine? Thoughts? Appreciate the help!
Old 05-24-2020, 01:26 PM
funcentric

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You're right in being concerned about that. The smaller scale trucks due to the wheel size and ground clearance won't have as easy of a time going offroad. However, I think a 1/16 scale would be just fine. I'm building a track too and it's going to be slightly smaller than your track or roughly the same and I plan to use 4' wide lanes using a 1/16 scale by itself or two 1/18 scales riding side by side.

Just make sure you get something hobby grade to have enough torque.
Old 06-13-2020, 03:13 PM
mrblh712

That’s good to know I am going to explore some 1/14 and 1/16 hobby grade options.

if you have any pics of your track and cars that would be great to see. I will also post some of mine when I get the small scale going.

Originally Posted by funcentric View Post
You're right in being concerned about that. The smaller scale trucks due to the wheel size and ground clearance won't have as easy of a time going offroad. However, I think a 1/16 scale would be just fine. I'm building a track too and it's going to be slightly smaller than your track or roughly the same and I plan to use 4' wide lanes using a 1/16 scale by itself or two 1/18 scales riding side by side.

Just make sure you get something hobby grade to have enough torque.
Old 06-15-2020, 03:00 PM
funcentric

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm still working on the track but I post most of my pics on my Instagram account with the same Username as here on this forum. You're welcome to check those out. I typicaly have a pretty detailed caption to go with it in case people need help or want more info. My HBX 16889 has been my go-to RC that I use regularly (every other day or so ish). Loving it. Value is really good too. Brushless under $100 and sometimes as low as $72.
Old 06-15-2020, 05:26 PM
mrblh712

Just checked out the Instagram pics you seem to have some good luck with the HBX stuff I may give it ago and never turn to traxxas again!

Originally Posted by funcentric View Post
I'm still working on the track but I post most of my pics on my Instagram account with the same Username as here on this forum. You're welcome to check those out. I typicaly have a pretty detailed caption to go with it in case people need help or want more info. My HBX 16889 has been my go-to RC that I use regularly (every other day or so ish). Loving it. Value is really good too. Brushless under $100 and sometimes as low as $72.