Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

Mini Inferno 540 motor question....

Old 08-16-2005, 12:09 PM
rdarsa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mini Inferno 540 motor question....

Please can someone tell me if I can fit a 540 series motor in my mini inferno.

It has the standard ESC and reciever and uses the 9.6v 1200mah GMAXX Cells.

I'm new to electric cars and really don't know what I need to do.

If you can recommend a decent motor too that would be great.

Many thanks,

Richard.
Old 08-16-2005, 12:21 PM
Tigger N. Bennie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Mini Inferno 540 motor question....

Currently, I am running the brushless AON T2415-4900kv with the Mamba-25 brushless speed control. It's not a 540 motor but it has plenty of speed, especially with a 3-cell lipo. It's the smaller red brushless motor in the photo below. However, if you go brushless, you will also need to change out the stock servo since you will end up removing and replacing the integrated ESC/Rx with a separate receiver too.

By the way, if you are running the 8-cell 9.6v set up, are you using the optional thermal cut off or whatever it's called in the manual? Are you still using the stock motor or the Kyosho option motor? Does your motor get hot? Just wondering, since I didn't go that route. I also don't use the fake engine head/heat sink since I removed all the stock electronics.

Old 08-16-2005, 05:45 PM
rdarsa

Thanks for the reply.

I do have the kyosho hop up motor and it makes quite a difference - and It does get hot - but not dangerously hot.

I was after a simple solution to make it even quicker without changing any of the electronics already there (including the batteries). I have no idea where to put the replacement ESC or the Rx.

What advantages do I get with a better ESC? I've been a 1/8 nitro Inferno user for years - but love the new found useability/simplicity of the mini which is why I went for one.

I haven't used electric since my Tamiya Bigwig (a long time ago) so have no idea about ESC's. Throwing the stick into reverse used to just break the car by instant reverse - now it seems there is a brake and a second delay and then reverse - so can you shed any light?

All the best,

R.
Old 08-16-2005, 08:44 PM
Tigger N. Bennie

One downside to the Kyosho Mini-Inferno is the integrated electronics and 4-wire servo. Basically, that means the electronics either stay together or must be replaced all at once just like the standard Losi Mini-T. You could probably use a larger motor, but I have no idea how much the stock electronics can handle and haven't compared very many small scale motors since going brushless--someone else will have to provide more information in that regard. You may also want to visit United RC for some motor information.

http://www.unitedrc.com/store/subCat...=27&brandID=10

If the electronics are replaced, some of the smaller micro-electronics will fit where the stock components were originally placed--the stock electronics are simple held in place with double-sided tape. And if an FM receiver is used, that should mean less glitching and more available "legal" frequencies here in the US anyway--however, there are also more AM crystals available from other places such as Hong Kong and that may not even be an issue if very few people are running RCs around you. Another option would be a 2.4GHz set up.

The type of speed control also regulates the type of motor that can be used and the number of volts that can be pushed to the motor--more volts usually means more power which can mean more speed. As you know already, the stock electronics get hot which is probably partially due to the heavier weight of the 1/16th scale Mini-Inferno. The Mamba-25 is supposed to handle 25 amps continuous.

Myself, I flipped the stock placement of the electronics with the stock placement of the batteries. However, I did that prior to the release of the optional saddle packs and I'm using a 3-cell lipo anyway. Below is an older photo when it still had the CM2080 brushless motor in it.

Old 08-17-2005, 10:04 AM
rdarsa

Wow - what a great forum - thanks for the info and the pics - any more would always be appreciated!

What is your run time on that lipo setup - and how fast is it?

I saw someone had a 11.1v lipo (starting to sound expensive) - plus I need a charger - plus a new RX - plus a new ESC? plus an motor - $250 (min) is a lot considering the thing was only $135 to start with!!!! - I

The engine on mine gets hot - but not the sink on the ESC/RX - if that helps.

Cheers,

R.
Old 08-17-2005, 06:29 PM
Tigger N. Bennie

I'm using 11.1v 3-cell lipos. One word: Expensive. However, the higher voltage lipos help generate lots of speed.

The CM2080 8000kv motor with a 3-cell lipo was rated at 60+mph in a Losi Mini-T. Based on that I would guess that the Kyosho Mini-Inferno with the same set up is slower since it is much heavier. However, I ran that set up and the Kyosho Mini-Inferno was still to fast for the local off-road tracks. The CM2080 motor would also get hotter than I preferred. Later, I dropped in the AON motor shown in the post above and although it slowed it down some, it will hang with the 1/8th scales and the motor seems to run cooler. The only thing is that some of the guys running the larger scales try to run you over so I have to try and stay out in front, but sometimes they get me in the turns. I probably need some suspension option parts besides just the shocks.

There are more photos in MyModels, My Gallery and in [link=http://www2.mini-zracer.com/gallery/TNB]Gallery TNB[/link]
Old 08-17-2005, 10:09 PM
MBX5T Maniac
My Feedback: (-1)

then you come with ur off road 1/5 scale, and smush the 1/8 people!
Old 08-18-2005, 11:38 AM
Tigger N. Bennie

Both my 1/4 and 1/5 scales are on-road--though I kind of like the new FG Stadium Truck that is supposed to be released soon. At first I liked the FG MT-5, but I kind of like the looks of the ST. Now either FG could bash with the 1/8th scales if the 1/8th scales didn't out run them on a tight track. Of course, the FG could simply wait until the nitros ran out of fuel. It would be sort of like roll reversal but instead of the Mini-Inferno, it would be "them".
Old 08-22-2005, 06:10 AM
minimad

did you use stock motor mount with your mamba? any modding required?
Old 08-22-2005, 11:29 AM
Tigger N. Bennie

When I "was" using the CM2080 in my Kyosho Mini-Inferno, I used the stock mount with different motor bolts.
Old 08-22-2005, 08:21 PM
StOcKerRaCer

so.. can a 540 motor fit in a mini inferno? I will get one if it will
Old 08-22-2005, 08:45 PM
Tigger N. Bennie

The 540 is probably too long for a drop in. If you look at the photo above, the red AON is slightly shorter than the stock motor and there is not much room for anything longer than a stock motor.
Old 08-22-2005, 08:50 PM
StOcKerRaCer

oh, ok []
Old 08-24-2005, 06:43 PM
Mike Ledbetter

Greetings,

Tig, is the motor a 400 size running clockwise? I ask becuase I wonder if a reverse-timed Zagi motor would be a simple drop-in improvement.
Old 08-24-2005, 08:46 PM
Tigger N. Bennie

The current motor turns counter clockwise as the RC goes forward.
Old 08-29-2005, 05:28 PM
Mike Ledbetter

Thanks!
Old 12-04-2005, 10:57 PM
fmoniet

Hi, were can I found the AON T2415-4900kv motor..?

F moniet
Old 12-04-2005, 11:22 PM
Vertical3-D
My Feedback: (20)

You can find them here with or without the mamba 25 controller [link]http://www.b-p-p.com[/link] with the controller they are 125 dollars and Im not sure without but the site will tell you. they offer free shipping and my mamba package got here quickly and well packed.
Old 12-04-2005, 11:27 PM
Tigger N. Bennie

ORIGINAL: edemsa
Hi, were can I found the AON T2415-4900kv motor..?
Also,
[link=http://www.aonelectric.com]http://www.aonelectric.com[/link]
Old 12-05-2005, 09:11 PM
fmoniet

Thanks Tigger, I have two pro buggys X-Ray XB8, Mayhem and one SAVAGE .28 Peak, sorry but I'm new in the electric cars.

You know if I need the USB Programer to, ( for combo AON T2415-4900 and mamba 25 controller) ?

And if the TP 1320 Pro-Lite 11.1v Li-poly Pack is fine?
Old 12-06-2005, 12:37 AM
Tigger N. Bennie

You don't really need the USB cable since you can change the settings without a computer during set up using the transmitter and with certain radios. Myself, I've been doing it the old fashion way but I did just receive the USB Cable today which is supposed to make it much easier.

Below is the link to Thunder Power which has the battery dimensions. I believe the three-cell I used is larger (45mm x 69mm x 20mm) than the one that you plan to use (34mm x 65mm x 13mm/19mm); however, I also did not mount in the standard battery compartment.

http://www.thunderpower-batteries.co...batteries.html
Old 12-06-2005, 10:47 PM
BassMan257

holy crap.. those lipos are expensive

how much slower would it go with say... a 8 cell 1200Mah NiMH pack? do you know?

i really dont have much of a clue about lipo batterys... but why are 3 cells better than 8?

i know there going to have differnt chemical compounds...

one reason im kinda weary of lipo is because ill need to buy not only the pack, but a charger that can charge them...

just want to know what you know

btw, tigger, your a real help... im glad your a mod
Old 12-06-2005, 11:07 PM
Tigger N. Bennie

The 3-cell lipo I use is 11.1v. Each standard rechargeable cell is 1.2v, so 8 cells x 1.2v = 9.6v. 9 cells would still be 10.8v while the 3-cell lipo is 11.1v. More voltage basically means more power. The 3-cell lipo is also lighter than 9 cells. Hence, more power and less weight. A lipo charger is a necessity, but the prices have dropped and more lipo chargers are on the market. And thanks.