Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

List any problems the RC18t has.

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2005, 02:32 PM
AJ DRAGON

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default List any problems the RC18t has.

Hi

I am looking into getting a A.E. RC18T. What I would like to know is what weak points does the RC18T have, and what is needed to eliminate these weak points. So if you could list any problems you have had with the RC18T, and what you did to solve those problems I would be very grateful.
Old 11-28-2005, 03:11 PM
capone12
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: List any problems the RC18t has.

Okay I have a rc18mt but they are basically the same thing just with different bodies and wheels.
Problems that I had/have:
exposed spur gear makes it extremely easy for dirt to get into the spur gear which means that if you can, get a spur gear asap
the outdrive sleeves fall off all the time
stock motor and esc get extremly hot during hard and moderate runs
steering has slop in it that can be fixed by getting an aftermarket steering link
the diffs loosened quickly and caused me to have to retighten them
stock screws are garbage time repalce them with titanium ones because the stock ones strip rather quickly
m stock motor fried after a few weeks, when this happens decide then to go brushless or stay brushed, if you stay with brushed motors then get a new esc and motor and they will run much cooler than the stock units

Thats about all that I can think of right now. I hate to say this but if I had the choice back then I would have bought a mini-t pro instead of the 18mt.
Old 11-30-2005, 01:00 AM
Derrick B

Another thing is the front bumper. Any kind of lick in the front and the pin is pulling out. Mine is down for the moment because of this. I've got a rpm on the way tho.
Old 11-30-2005, 10:51 PM
IBrakeForNobody
My Feedback: (16)

Factory Team RC18T + Mamba 8000kv = Stripped diffs...lots of stripped diffs...about $100 worth of stripped diffs
Then, I got a Novak SPY esc and a Mini-T Speed motor, and its all good

Other than that, I haven't had any problems.
Old 12-01-2005, 01:19 AM
yuckymucky

I don't think that is really a fair comparison. I have a RC18T with a Mamba 6800 all set up correctly for that kind of power and I have had no problems and I have based that thing around. You will need to get a set CVDs if you go with the RC18T and the Mamba.

I think that it is all about what you are looking for. Do you want 2wd or 4wd? Do you like Associated or Losi?
Old 12-01-2005, 06:28 AM
pro

RC18T Factory + 8000kv Mamba + 7 cells GP + 1/10 wheel conversion

One of the main problem is changing the main gear. To do that you have to disassemble the hole upper deck. [:'(]That sucks[:'(].
But beside that it is the meanest little driving machine you can buy!![>:]
Old 12-02-2005, 09:33 PM
capone12
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: pro

RC18T Factory + 8000kv Mamba + 7 cells GP + 1/10 wheel conversion

One of the main problem is changing the main gear. To do that you have to disassemble the hole upper deck. [:'(]That sucks[:'(].
But beside that it is the meanest little driving machine you can buy!![>:]
Until you take it outside and drive it. Then the problems just fly in like crazy. Please dont get the 18mt. Go for a mlst instead if you want a mini mt. Anything but the 18mt is a good decision. I have one and I seriously hate it. I cant do anything with it. The only good thing about it is that now Im using the radio and reciever in my rustler because the reciever is small. Other than that its just complete garbage time. I tihnk I need to get a whole new transmission for it because something is just wrong with mine and I dont know what it is. Maybe I should just throw this one into a box and then buy another one and when the new one breaks I can just use the parts off the old one. Thats about all the use I have for mine right about now. Everything is wrong with it. Now when I went to drive it today after waiting like 5 weeks from tower to get me a new motor for it I take it outside and when I give it throttle it makes extremely nasty sounds and it barely goes anywhere. Its like the pinion isnt meshing up with the spur gear but it really is and the diffs are as tight as I can get them. Im probably going to have to end up just buying a whole new drivetrain and I think (keyword think)that maybe the diffs balls have gone flat even though I dont see how this could have happened from only a week or so of use. Just go with anything but the 18mt and youll be set. I've had sooooo many problems with it.
Old 12-02-2005, 10:35 PM
MBX5T Maniac
My Feedback: (-1)

The fact that it's too freakin' tiny for my taste
Old 12-03-2005, 12:38 AM
yuckymucky

Then again I have had an 18mt from a week after they came out and a Mamba in it a week after that I have had no problems. I put a gear cover on it and bash it outside all the time. It really just depends what you are looking for.

The MLST is a pretty cool looking little truck, I am going to get one as soon as they get some aftermarket parts out. Just look at what you are looking for in a truck, read reviews, and get the one that you like the most. You can always sell it if don't like it.
Old 12-03-2005, 08:39 AM
mayhem272

where do u get gear covers?
Old 12-03-2005, 11:56 AM
yuckymucky

http://www.drivenpro.net/index.php?s=store
Old 12-08-2005, 08:04 AM
grantm344

Hi all,

Every rc model I've ever owned has some defects....we just work with it.....thats half the fun. If $$$$ permit we usually upgrade....sometimes for function, sometimes for looks...... It's all good!

I purchased one of the first RC18T RTR's available in my area, took it home, had a careful look and promptly returned it....poor quality.....not the same quality I remember from AE years ago. Oh well..... time passes, I buy the Factory Team Kit with every upgrade I can find....much better!

Back to paragraph one....found a fix.... www.maxximumrc.com . I found this website had some very helpful and inexpensive suggestions.

Don't just plunk your money down, experiment and try some homegrown fixes when you can. You might learn something, save some money and have some fun in the process!

Cheers,

Grant
Old 12-08-2005, 03:09 PM
Firefreak373

ya its half the fun making it work vs paying to fix it with somone elses stuff. homemade suff is normamly better anyway