Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

So you want a mini....

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 09:15 PM
RC Sid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: So you want a mini....

http://www.teamtrinity.com/shop/kits/next16/next.html There you go. I think it looks pretty good.
Old 10-08-2006, 09:46 PM
Seek and Destroy

It looks like a vulcan se.
Old 10-11-2006, 08:50 AM
pro

Well it looks good but nothing new. It maybe fast but it is not competitive to brushless in this scale size. I HEARD [:@] the Nt18 from xray. It developes a loud screamie noise. Not possible to drive anywhere you want. I prefere brushless! Insane loudless speed.[sm=spinnyeyes.gif]
Old 10-15-2006, 07:42 AM
drcain

Inverted, This was the best comparison of models I have ever read. SWEET JOB!!! I have just started looking for a good starter RC for my 8 yr old son. He likes trucks, but I thought the best route would be the buggy since they are fast, agile, and seem to land on the wheels more often than not when flipping. I know basically nothing about electric RC's. I have had several gas one's and even though I had issues breaking them in and tuning at times I just couldnt get over the sheer power and speed. I did sell all of my stuff several years back and stopped since the hobby stores are so far away now for getting nitro fuel. Anyway, I have been a fan of the Inferno 7.5 and when I seen these mini's I figured perfect for starters. We have a huge open basement for racing in the winter and their size is great for a really universal car. I have had lots of Q's about batteries, ESC, motors. I am not one who likes to get stuff just to get it, that = wasted money. I need to get high quality upgrades, doesnt have to be the most expensive but the best bang for the buck so to speak. So if there are any suggestions on batteries, motor, ESC, transmitter or helpful info for the mini inferno I would like to hear it. Thanks again for the extensive mini info list, Inverted. GREAT HELP!!!!
Old 10-15-2006, 10:11 AM
-Inverted-

The mini inferno comes RTR, however the stock electronics aren't that great. You can make them really fast, but it depends on how much space you have. For the mini inferno you will want aluminum shocks and a ball bearing kit right out of the box as the performance is pretty unimpressive without it. You will also want an improved battery. I highly suggest you take a look at the Duratrax Vendetta, it comes with a decent amount of hop-ups out of the box, and has the one year warranty. It's a great performer and upgrades are cheap. Once again it all depends on where you run it, there are super fast brushless systems, but that might be too much for a basement. Let me know which car you decide on then I can help you, although I do reccomend a browse at the Vendetta. Team Associated also makes a nice buggy, the RC18B. I appreciate the thread comments, although it needs an update I keep neglecting.
Old 10-15-2006, 06:11 PM
msinno

Inverted,

I have been commenting back and forth with you on another forum - same subject. This thread is AWESOME - a total MUST-READ for newbies to 1/18 scale. My only suggestion would be to add a link to page 1 to your signature. Very informative and useful - you must've either read my mind on the info I was looking for or you have seen tooooo many questions get reasked. Once again - Great JOB.

[8D]

msinno
ORIGINAL: -Inverted-

The mini inferno comes RTR, however the stock electronics aren't that great. You can make them really fast, but it depends on how much space you have. For the mini inferno you will want aluminum shocks and a ball bearing kit right out of the box as the performance is pretty unimpressive without it. You will also want an improved battery. I highly suggest you take a look at the Duratrax Vendetta, it comes with a decent amount of hop-ups out of the box, and has the one year warranty. It's a great performer and upgrades are cheap. Once again it all depends on where you run it, there are super fast brushless systems, but that might be too much for a basement. Let me know which car you decide on then I can help you, although I do reccomend a browse at the Vendetta. Team Associated also makes a nice buggy, the RC18B. I appreciate the thread comments, although it needs an update I keep neglecting.
Old 10-15-2006, 06:25 PM
-Inverted-

Thanks, with all these good comments I feel like updating it, so....my next week I will have all the new models in here, maybe some mini-z!
Old 10-15-2006, 06:43 PM
Seek and Destroy

Thanks, with all these good comments I feel like updating it, so....my next week I will have all the new models in here, maybe some mini-z!
Don't forget the xmod. I have an xmod truck that's a crawler, I have upgraded it and it is actually pretty impressive. I post on mini-zracer more. They are more people there with the smaller cars.
Old 10-15-2006, 06:47 PM
-Inverted-

What I meant by mini-z was the smaller scale cars, but probably not, I dont really have experience with those.
Old 10-15-2006, 06:52 PM
Seek and Destroy

Ohh, might want to add the micro-t.
Old 10-15-2006, 07:13 PM
CadillacDTS2001

if he isnt posting about the x mod becausehe doesnt have one, or know any thing about it , i dont think he will post about the micro t considering no one knows any thing about it !!!
Old 10-15-2006, 08:56 PM
Seek and Destroy

I just ordered mine! I hope I get it before everybody else so I can do a reveiw on it.
Old 10-29-2006, 07:30 PM
msinno

Inverted,

I am eagerly awaiting your updated edits to the original artlicle. Please make sure to include some additional info like motor selection (i.e. 7T vs. 13T or single/double/triple/quad windings, etc.) also, some extras on some common hop-ups (i.e. ESCs & motors)
To be honest, I am having a difficult time tryuing to find a good charger. I have read a lot about user recommendations, but at $50-$200 each, I don't want to go through a new charger then find out it only has the wrong features. On the battery front, it would be interesting to know when a battery needs to be discharged (and why) and when it needs to be cycled (and why). I can't find any good information that describes this.

msinno

Old 10-29-2006, 07:39 PM
-Inverted-

Thanks for the tip, I apologize I have been busy lately and havn't had time to update.
Old 10-29-2006, 07:54 PM
msinno

We all understand - not like updating this forum is your full-time job. Completely understand. Just wanted to see if I could get any info from someone who obviously knows what he is talking about.

Thanks for the tip, I apologize I have been busy lately and havn't had time to update.
Old 10-30-2006, 08:25 PM
Seek and Destroy

msinno, a good charger is the duratrax pihranna.
Old 10-30-2006, 10:46 PM
msinno

ok, here is my problem, when you say Pihranna, do you mean:

1) [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXSG85&P=ML]DuraTrax Piranha CX-10 AC/DC Fast Charger[/link] for $25.99
or
2) [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXSF53&P=7]DuraTrax Piranha CX-15 AC/DC Fast Charger w/Meter[/link] for $31.99
or
3) [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXD548&P=7]DuraTrax Piranha AC/DC Peak Power Charger[/link] for $34.99 Note: NOT FOR NiMH [&:]
or
4) [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXCLD5&P=7]DuraTrax Piranha AC/DC Digital Peak Charger NiCd/NiMH[/link] for $49.99
or could I go with the
5) [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXAVN1]MRC Super Brain 959 Charger[/link] for $44.99

Now do you see why I am confused? I want to choose a good charger that will handle the stock battery & maybe the Duratrax 1400 battery for the RC18T, and maybe another battery for something a little more when my skills get better (possible 2000 or 3400 size) When and if I ever go the LiPo route, I can worry about a charger/temp sensor for it, but until that time, I don't want to get a new charger for every battery upgrade.

I am looking for AC/DC, but that is all I know. Now as far as care for the battery, can someone also answer when I need to discharge a battery, do I completely discharge a battery, can I just charge over and over (even if not fully used)? If so, do I have to discharge every 5-10 uses? What are the rules on Batteries and Chargers - There are too many options.

Sorry for venting, when I use Nitro, I only have to match the fuel nitro content (usually ok mixture of lube in fuel) and fill tank and go. I thought Electric was more straight forward. I have experience with Electric, but that was 10-15 years ago (Think when the "Grasshopper" and the "Big Wig" were the cool cars to get)

anyway, there are a LOT of questions above - can you please see if you can sort through them for me and anyone else reading this thread...

Thanks ahead of time.

ORIGINAL: rc18t145

Old 10-30-2006, 10:53 PM
Seek and Destroy

ORIGINAL: msinno

ok, here is my problem, when you say Pihranna, do you mean:

1) [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXSG85&P=ML]DuraTrax Piranha CX-10 AC/DC Fast Charger[/link] for $25.99
or
2) [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXSF53&P=7]DuraTrax Piranha CX-15 AC/DC Fast Charger w/Meter[/link] for $31.99
or
3) [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXD548&P=7]DuraTrax Piranha AC/DC Peak Power Charger[/link] for $34.99 Note: NOT FOR NiMH [&:]
or
4) [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXCLD5&P=7]DuraTrax Piranha AC/DC Digital Peak Charger NiCd/NiMH[/link] for $49.99
or could I go with the
5) [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXAVN1]MRC Super Brain 959 Charger[/link] for $44.99

Now do you see why I am confused? I want to choose a good charger that will handle the stock battery & maybe the Duratrax 1400 battery for the RC18T, and maybe another battery for something a little more when my skills get better (possible 2000 or 3400 size) When and if I ever go the LiPo route, I can worry about a charger/temp sensor for it, but until that time, I don't want to get a new charger for every battery upgrade.

I am looking for AC/DC, but that is all I know. Now as far as care for the battery, can someone also answer when I need to discharge a battery, do I completely discharge a battery, can I just charge over and over (even if not fully used)? If so, do I have to discharge every 5-10 uses? What are the rules on Batteries and Chargers - There are too many options.

Sorry for venting, when I use Nitro, I only have to match the fuel nitro content (usually ok mixture of lube in fuel) and fill tank and go. I thought Electric was more straight forward. I have experience with Electric, but that was 10-15 years ago (Think when the "Grasshopper" and the "Big Wig" were the cool cars to get)

anyway, there are a LOT of questions above - can you please see if you can sort through them for me and anyone else reading this thread...

Thanks ahead of time.

ORIGINAL: rc18t145

I see. It''s #5. That one will do any charge rate from I think 1 or so to 5 amps. It does nicd and nimh. I don't really know about all of this discharging stuff, mainly because my charger won't do that. But, if you drive it till the bat is almost dead, (you see a definate speed decrease) then stop driving and charge it again. By driving it, you are using the batterys power, which is discharging the the bat.

I am not positive, but the race guys, they charge them, then drive them, then totally discharge them ( I think ) to get all of the power out of it. Then once it's totally discharged, they charge them back up. ~ I think, I am not positive on this~

EDIT: it is #4, I just looked at the price and thought that was it. After actually clicking on the links, I found out it was #4.
Old 10-30-2006, 11:15 PM
msinno

ok, cool - thanks. I thought that was the one, but I didn't want to guess. Sorry for the 1 Million questions, but this battery and charger thing throws me around - and don't even get me started on motor terms (# of turns and # of wires) and different ESCs (ratings and features) I never thought this hobby had so many variables. Boy, was I wrong. Because there are so many variables, I want to make a good decision - That's where these boards come in -I get to ask questions first and let the experienced people answer them for me.

Thanks. [8D]
Old 11-05-2006, 01:03 PM
abjones413

If you want to get a charger for ALL types of batts, and can discharge and cycle, this is what you want - http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHDJ1&P=7
I personally have this one - http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXCLD5&P=ML and I love it. It offers many charging rates in .1 increments (so you can charge a 1400mAh at the recommended 1.4amps), AC/DC, 10 pre-sets for different batts (for instance, I have a stock 1100mAh NiMH, two IB1400mAh NiMH and two 2000mAh NiCds for a POS Radio Shack truck). You really can't go wrong with this one. But like I said, if you're planning on going LiPo down the road, get the ICE. I know it's a big price difference, but well worth it. Why spend $50 now and another $125 later?

PS- If you didn't already get the DTX1400 battery, don't. Get this one instead - http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXMGW7&P=7 The IB cells are the hottest new NiMH cells, better than GP cells. The DTX1400 is neither IB or GP. I ran my brand new RC18MT the other day for over 30 min., close to 45 on a full charge - no *****. I have the stock 1100, two IB1400s and my AC/DC Piranha charger for all day fun! This is also available for more power (but possibly less runtime) and supposedly fits most minis - http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXMGW8&P=7 I'm totally satisfied with my 6 cell 7.2v. As long as you charge properly, amps to mAh, your cells won't let you down. You could always quick charge at a higher amp and sacrifice runtime for more punch, but I like both punch and runtime, so I charge strictly by mAh.
Old 11-05-2006, 01:40 PM
-Inverted-

The IB cells are the hottest new NiMH cells, better than GP cells.
Pssh...Both are still ni-mh though! [sm=lol.gif] I guess im just addicted to li-po. [8D]
Old 11-05-2006, 02:17 PM
Seek and Destroy

Hey inverted, why do you think www.cheapbatterypacks.com doesn't do lipos?
Old 11-05-2006, 02:23 PM
-Inverted-

You can purchase them from them and probably get them customized, but sonce there isnt many configurations or they dont have their own brand they dont have a custom option.
Old 11-05-2006, 02:31 PM
Seek and Destroy

ohh.
Old 11-20-2006, 12:48 AM
-Inverted-

Wrong thread*

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.