Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

***Wraith 7k Review***

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 12:45 AM
Mr Bubbles

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ***Wraith 7k Review***

Hello fellow Mini Inferno'ers,(does that work? )

Well I got my Wraith 7k motor today and ran it. But before I get to the review I would like to give a big thanks to Troy over at www.b-p-p.com. I've talked to him on the phone and he is a super cool and knowledgable guy. I was going over soldering the gold plugs on the esc with him, and I didn't even ask and he went ahead and soldered them for me for free. He also installed the deans plug I ordered on the ESC too. Now that's what I call customer service, and he still got it to me within 3 days of ordering it.

I installed the motor and the ESC and went ahead and read the manuals. The motor dropped right in and the ESC was placed conveniently on my top brace. I went ahead and programmed the ESC to my personal settings. VERY EASY! Look for a thread in the electronics forum for a Quark 33A Pro-Car review. I had my Thunder Power 3-cell Lipo charged up and ready to go.

I put it on the ground and gently put about 20% of the throttle and off it went. While getting used to the amount of power it has on my driveway, I was astonished how fast I was going when only doing about 40% throttle. I LOVED it. The Quark 33A is truly the best ESC out there. Acceleration felt buttery smooth and very precise. No cogging in tall grass either. It performed beautifully.

As I head out on the street I start doing 75% throttle. Holy #!$%! This thing was a good 2 times faster than my CRT with a Modded Novarossi P5. As I started doing full throttle passes I just couldn't believe how fast this was. It would just keep going and going. If I had more room I could have gone much faster. Although it was a handful, the precise throttle input made it very controllable to drive. I put the setting under normal proportional braking. Braking power also felt just right and very precise. It didn't come on harshly at all.

After getting bored of speed passes, I went to the local park. The sidewalks is configured in a way where I can make a track. Throughout the turns this brushless system performs beautifully. I can actually use the insane amount of power efficiently thanks to the super smooth throttle. I loved it, I can blast the throttle out of the turn, brake, turn, and then fly by again, all under complete control. This was also one of the first times driving my Mini Inferno and I was VERY impressed with it's handling using completely bald stock tires.

Throughout the test runs, the ESC ran at a consistent 130-135 degrees. The motor was running around 140-155 degrees. I would recommend a heat sink with this motor. I was running a 12t pinion but I am going to drop down to an 11t. I also had no drivetrain problems. I am running a stock, locked center diff, ST diffs front/rear, CVD's in front, metal dogbones in the rear and center, and the Atomic outdrives showed very little signs of wear after about 25 minutes of run time.

I will be racing at my local track tomorow in the 10th scale Mod class. I have a very good feeling that I will be able to beat at least half the crowd. I was astonished at how good this buggy handles. I will have my brother take videos of my buggy on the track. I'll have an edited movie in a couple days that shows the pure power of this motor/esc.

In conclusion, if you are looking for a brushless system, you will not be dissapointed with the Wraith/Quark combo. In my opinion it is one of the best combo's out there right now. What more can you ask for, amazing amount of torque, an endless amount of rpm's, and all extremely smooth and controllable.
Old 06-20-2006, 12:52 AM
-Inverted-

Default RE: ***Wraith 7k Review***

This is a great combo, my buddy has been running this in his Mini Inferno ST for a few months, very nice.
Old 06-20-2006, 08:35 AM
KForceOH

man i am running the quark33a with warp4 2turn and it gets pretty hot like around 170. how are you keeping temps so low? will NiMH make things run hotter than lipo will? i am also running a 12 tooth. my friend also has a wraith 7 and was running 12tooth. he just ordered the roadster65a from quark because the 33a was severely overheating and his motor was hot. so we'll see what the 65a from quark will do now. btw we are running 9.6v NiMH 1400's.

we are gas offroad racers so this brushless is kinda foregin to me. i used to race touring cars but no brushless. thanks for any help.

kyle
Old 06-20-2006, 09:04 AM
-Inverted-

man i am running the quark33a with warp4 2turn
Are you running the Universal or Pro-Car for your Quark ESC?
Old 06-20-2006, 09:34 AM
KForceOH

procar 33a.

kyle
Old 06-20-2006, 09:40 AM
-Inverted-

The Wraith is a very hot motor, why didn't you just install a heatsink, the Quark is perfectly capable of handling it.
Old 06-20-2006, 11:55 AM
Mitchell91

i think a 65amp esc is going to be overkill on a wraith i doubt it draws over 30amps
Old 06-20-2006, 11:58 AM
-Inverted-

My friend is running the Wraith/Quark 33a Pro-Car in his mini inferno ST and has had no problems. He has that heavy Pitbull chassis, as well as 2.2's; so you should have no problem.
Old 06-20-2006, 12:25 PM
KForceOH

the guy from bpp said it should barley get warm. also the quark procar33a was about to melt. even with the warp 4 and procar 33a it still gets 150 esc and 180 motor course thats after 10-12 minutes. is that normal temps?.

kyle
Old 06-20-2006, 12:27 PM
KForceOH

at least if its overkill then it should run cooler....it just arrived in the mail.....woo its cool looking at least,

kyle
Old 06-20-2006, 12:28 PM
Seek and Destroy

that sounds way overheated.
Old 06-20-2006, 12:29 PM
KForceOH

thats what i am saying lol. i don't know what the issue is. its 12 tooth pinon seems to be what everyone is running. with the wraith7 is would mkae the quark33 shutdown and start to cog.

kyle
Old 06-20-2006, 12:32 PM
-Inverted-

[&:]....Instead of buying an ESC that costs twice as much, why didn't you just contact Frank @ Quark Brushless, he could have troubleshooted it with you.
Old 06-20-2006, 12:44 PM
KForceOH

its not a big deal tis only money. the q33a is on the mini inferno with the warp4

the new 65a is on the wraith7 mini inferno. had to have 2 anyways.

but inverted please answer this for me....
does lipo make things run cooler than nimh due to less resistence?
what are normal temps for procar 33a with warp4 (esc temps)?
would going to 7.2v instead of 9.6v make things run cooler?

thanks

kyle
Old 06-20-2006, 01:04 PM
-Inverted-

would going to 7.2v instead of 9.6v make things run cooler?
Yes.

what are normal temps for procar 33a with warp4 (esc temps)?
Not sure, I havn't had any experience with the Warp.
Old 08-20-2006, 05:31 AM
Schmernst
My Feedback: (2)

What a great hobby! we fry a top end motor and we are still only out maybe $60.. beats the heck out of the 1:1 scale =o) anyways Has anyone tried the wraith 7000 with the mamba 25 esc and 11.1 lipo? I know B-P-P sells it as a combo but i only ever hear about people using the quark with it. The mamba has never failed me yet so i will try it unless any of you have some really strong negative feedback.

thanks,
scott
Old 08-21-2006, 10:18 AM
psmurf16

call troy he is very help ful and will explain every thing about it you will ever want to know. He help me out with my questions!
Old 08-21-2006, 06:52 PM
hikiyaku

hey, can answer your question about the wraith and the mamba ESC. I am running the two together in my rc18b, it works very nice. The esc is nice and luke-warm and the motor is really cool (maybe 100-120 degrees F). even with the 3-cell lipo it does great. However, the speeds that this thing will crank out was enough to ruin my rear diffs. So now i am running a 2-cell lipo with the timing on low. this did the trick. I mean, i like having a fast car, but 62 MPH was just not practical for offroad racing or jumping. Well, the jumpiong was a little crazy.....i mean INSANE!!!! this thing went off a 45 degree jump i made out of wood, and it got like 20-30 feet of vertical height, and about 50-60 feet of distance......and lots of broken stuff..... However, the wraith 7k and Mamba 25 ESC is a great combo! I tried the Warp 4 and the mamba, but the motor was extremely hot, and the ESC went up in flames.......literally!
Old 08-21-2006, 07:26 PM
-Inverted-

I tried the Warp 4 and the mamba, but the motor was extremely hot, and the ESC went up in flames.......literally!
Your gearing may have been off and caused the motor and ESC to overheat. ALso, the Warp uses a 2.3mm shaft which means you need to use a .6 pitch pinion, thats why the warp was designed for cars like the mini quake and the vendetta, as they use the .6 pitch.
Old 08-21-2006, 08:00 PM
Seek and Destroy

Whats a .6 pitch pinion.[&:]
Old 02-22-2008, 01:44 PM
blizzzarddemon

i am looking at trading a stock stampede x5 for a mini inferno with the Wraith 7K brushless motor with Quark 33 ESC and all of this

Carbon fiber chassis with motor swap and support brace

Hitec HS85MG servo

Aluminum front and rear shock towers

oil filled shocks

Atomic Front and Rear ball diffs

MIP center ball diff

Aluminum slipper gear setup

aluminum front steering knuckles

aluminum steering assembly

and probably some other stuff I am missing

stockbody and unpainted truggy body
and 2 3s lipo 1100mah packs

i am wondeering if it is worth it i want something that is fast and good offraod the stampede gets bogged a lil and i dont want a mini like my mini t that is not good offroad
Old 02-22-2008, 02:17 PM
KRO

I would do it in a heart beat !