Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > 1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars
Reload this Page >

Bringing 1/64 hobby grade racing to reality!!!

Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

Bringing 1/64 hobby grade racing to reality!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 06:04 AM
nitro _ burner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Bringing 1/64 hobby grade racing to reality!!!

DUDE if you made one of these offroad ones i will personally come over to america and buy one from you **cough not realy cough** lol seriously though if you build a off road one with full electronics and engine nd battery etc, i will buy one......... hmm mabye i could play chicken with my micro t i wonder which one would win..........neither it would go under the micro t!! lol.

Very nice work keep us posted with the off road version
ORIGINAL: customminatures

Thanks guys, I will give you information as I get to it. I still have to fab the body, but it will be vacuum formed from thin lexan. I also have to install bearings in the front and rear wheels, threaded body posts and new wheels. Im not trying to compete with the micro t. I dont think this car can, it is only 1/4 the size of a micro t, but VERY FAST! This is more a niche hobby grade car. Im looking at around 60.00-70.00USD for a rolling chassis and unpainted body. Car will come as a kit, meaning assembly required. I am also working on a 1/64 scale off road buggy and ST. These will be quality pieces! Here is a shot of one of the shocks for the buggies and ST's............................

and here is a blurry pic of the chassis at 60% mock up.

Matt
Old 04-17-2007, 02:37 PM
Racing T

very cool, where do you get the tires or you make them?
Old 04-17-2007, 03:04 PM
Kokopelli06

Very nice! Can't wait to see the ST version. When do you think you'll be able to get these on the market, im interested.
Old 04-17-2007, 04:52 PM
customminatures

Thanks guys! Bigtime! I love the interest you guys show. Im working hard to get these out to you guys. It takes time when you have a regular day job with a wife and kids at home. It will not be to long. I will let you know as it happens. I am also looking at making something 4wd, but doubt ability at this scale. BUT I WILL TRY!

Matt
Old 04-17-2007, 04:58 PM
crazy for rc

queston will you have a web site??
Old 04-17-2007, 04:59 PM
hands without shadows

If you figure out how to make driveshafts at this size PM me, even if its just an idea, link or prototype.
Old 04-17-2007, 05:21 PM
Mattdg67

I designed a 1/64 4WD once on SolidWorks, but I got a new computer and forgot to transfer it . You should use a ZZMT motor on the ST one. Also, please PM me back about what I sent you .
Old 04-17-2007, 05:52 PM
customminatures

Thanks again guys. A ZZMT motor will still be to big in size. I have the motor to be used installed in the chassis now. Its a 7mm coreless motor.

I will have a web site in the future. Im trying to get the cars ready first, unless there is someone out there that can do it for me?

Matt
Old 04-17-2007, 08:10 PM
nitro _ burner

i wouldnt worry about 4WD it would be too hard for the manufactor and driver to maintain at that size i would imagine wou wouldnt realy need 4WD unless you where to take it outside onto dirt tracks, even then that would ruin the car, being so small and all.
ORIGINAL: customminatures

Thanks guys! Bigtime! I love the interest you guys show. Im working hard to get these out to you guys. It takes time when you have a regular day job with a wife and kids at home. It will not be to long. I will let you know as it happens. I am also looking at making something 4wd, but doubt ability at this scale. BUT I WILL TRY!

Matt
Old 04-17-2007, 08:25 PM
maxxdout

it would be hell replacing diffs!!!, tweezers!!!
Old 04-17-2007, 08:45 PM
customminatures

Thanks for the input guys. My piont with the 4wd is control. Same idea as the larger rc cars. My cars actually go very fast and tend to push a little in corners, added 4wd will help that alot.

As for customer friendlyness, I will design it to the best of my abilities to make it as easy to work on as possible. Even I dont like to work on things that are frustrating. So I can understand the concern. I was thinking more toward the on road cars, but it would be pretty sweet to have a 4wd buggy that sits in your palm.

I will design and fab something simple up and see how it goes from there. Baby steps! If all goes well I will do further designing and fabrication.

Thanks for viewing,
Matt
Old 04-17-2007, 08:48 PM
maxxdout

cant wait to see a st or buggy!!! keep up the good work!!!
Old 04-17-2007, 11:49 PM
fugadude

That's an amazing project. Maybe you should look into contracting your manufacturing out to a watchmaker in China. Again cool as hell! What kind of run time do you get out of that little thing?
Old 04-18-2007, 07:17 AM
nitro _ burner

still i think 4wd wouldnt be worth it, perhaps after selling heaps of the st's then it would be best to start building a 4wd version and when it comes to building time you would of had heaps of feedback on the st to work with and make the car better.
Just my thought to building better cars. Good luck.
Cheers.
Old 04-18-2007, 08:46 AM
Nasher

But if he made it 4wd he'd either have to get even smaller equipment or drill a hole through some stuff to make room for the driveshaft.

Nasher
Old 04-18-2007, 02:39 PM
customminatures

Well, for the time being, I am working on the 2 I have out now. There is a few things to change, but nothing major. Everyone seems to be worried about me saying I would try a 4wd version at this scale. Anything is possible, even at this scale. If you dont like working with very small pieces, I suggest to stay away from these cars. Just a warning. The car will NOT come assembled. You as the consumer will build the car. I do this for 1 reason, the parts are very small and someone owning this car needs to be familiar with the car. I dont buy RTR kits because of this reason.

Run times are very long. I havent measured it, but one charge lasted me 2 days of 20 minute sessions here and there. Id say safely atleast 1hr runtime on a single 50mah lipo. It takes the battery roughly 35 minutes to charge. Not bad if you ask me.

Matt
Old 04-18-2007, 02:50 PM
Mattdg67

[X(] 40 minutes of run time. Thats just awsome. I love how your making the customer build the car. I don't like RTR's either. I think you should have a Special Order system, like if the customer wants just the Car, Body, and Battery, then they should get just that. Also the 4WD has been done befor, the diffs are very small but easy to work with.
Old 04-18-2007, 03:12 PM
superdave420

Hello Nitro burner

The work that Matt and his secret CAD guy will be doing is to offer a higher quallity 1/64 scale RC then is currently available. We have all played with the cheesy injection molded ZZ cars etc.. they are kind of fun until the novelty wears off.

this line of cars coming from Custom Miniatures is intended to remain fun and challenging and not get boring. This requires tuneability, speed, precision, quality craftsmanship etc..

Matt and the secret CAD guy love to be challenged and that actually drives them to want to make these neat little cars.
4WD has it's benefit at any scale, the benefit scales linearly with the scale of the vehicle. obviously when you scale a vehicle down, the smart thing to do is to scale down the terrain it will be operating on.

soo 4wd is definatley possible and will be done one way or another. Custom minatures even has plans for the driveshafts etc. at this scale things require a lot more thought and engineering. I think we will all be darn happy with the products MM produces.

Keep it up Matt :-) you're doing just fine. you can do anything if your ambitious.

Dave
Old 04-18-2007, 03:19 PM
customminatures

Is there a link to these diffs Mattdg67?

Thanks Dave!
Old 04-18-2007, 05:01 PM
Mattdg67

Sure, I'll even show you a link to a 6-7mm diamiter brushless The diff's I saw had been custom made and very tiny. I'll try and find thenm today.
Old 04-18-2007, 06:04 PM
Mattdg67

[link=http://www.micromo.com/n126024/n.html]This is a 6mm diameter brushless motor.[/link] [link=http://www.ripper7racing.com/r7rforums/showpost.php?p=14058&postcount=16]This is the diff.[/link]
Old 04-18-2007, 06:16 PM
customminatures

thanks buddy. I cant view the pics of the diff!
Matt
Old 04-18-2007, 06:27 PM
Mattdg67

This is it. Sorry.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96664.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	667499  
Old 04-18-2007, 06:36 PM
Kokopelli06

Just think about it, 1/64 4WD Brushless rc car... makes me salivate lol
Old 04-18-2007, 07:47 PM
customminatures

Thanks for the photo! I dont understand how it works. I see 2 motors and what just looks like 90 degree geared outdrives. Having dual motors like this could "simulate" a diff with out the bearings. I just dont understand from the photo. It is a nice piece of work though! Id love to see about something like this. Looks like a low maintenance but a bit bulky for my liking. But hey, this scale you have to comp size for practicality. Do you have anymore pics of this beast? Maybe one with it taken apart?

Matt

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.