Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

OFFICIAL RC18MT/B/T THREAD

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 07:26 PM
rcdriv3r

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: OFFICIAL RC18MT/B/T THREAD

Hey everyone, i was wondering what gearing is good for some good speed. i dropped in a brushless system, but still have the stock gearing on it. i can't remember if i go lower tooth count on the gear mounted to the engine and higher tooth count on the "spur gear" or other way around to get the most speed out of it i can. thanks for any help.
Old 03-25-2010, 03:25 AM
Nesal

I recently did the same, I think it depends on the kv of your motor. I am using a 6100kv Reedy BL combo and temps with stock gearing are ok, it is also the gearing recommended on Reedy's site. Anything under that KV you should be fine, anything higher I think you should drop teeth on the pinion
Old 03-25-2010, 01:41 PM
rcdriv3r

sweet, thanks for the help. went to the site found the document and found out i need a 11t pinion gear and 60t spur gear. i dropped the 9500 kv engine in hopefully this will gimme some more speed, haha.
Old 03-29-2010, 01:37 PM
rcdriv3r

so i was running my buggy now turned mini truggy...and heard a clicking sound whenever it ran. i read some of these posts and tightened the diffs and it cleared it up. my question this time is that the diffs seemed to have some sort of lube on them, but not a whole lot...seeing how these are so small, do they require any sort of diff lube or such? thanks for the help.
Old 03-29-2010, 03:02 PM
fastandloud

check for pebbles or sand in your spur/pinion gear. Ive had mine clicking after a bash and its turned out to be either a speck of sand or a stripped spur gear. could be the diff tho
Old 03-29-2010, 07:17 PM
rcdriv3r

oh ya i always clean out the spur gear and it wasn't that. think it just needed some tightening bc it stopped.
Old 05-08-2010, 01:18 AM
rymansl2

Thought I'd dig this thread up from the dead since I just picked up a used MT off the 'bay recently. Lots of good info in here, I read up to about page 120 and then felt I got the jist of things . Right now mine has the stock MT gearing (10t pinion, 60t spur) and tires. I bought it as a roller so it was missing all the electronics, except the servo, and the body. I picked up a Jconcepts Illusion body, 1600mah DTX 6-cell battery, and a Trinity Mini Machine motor for it. I had a spare 1/10 scale ESC and micro RX laying around so I threw those in there to complete the package. I love this little thing! It really flies with the upgraded motor. Only issue I have is the steering (which I somewhat fixed by putting a zip-tie over the servo saver C clip), the motor heats up really quickly, and its pretty noisy. It almost sounds like a nitro when it goes by. I have ruled out the entire drivetrain as the source of the noise, and figured it must be either the motor or pinion/spur mesh. Without a motor attached the drivetrain runs smooth as silk without any noise (and I tore it down and made sure everything was lubed and seated properly right after I recieved it). I don't see why it would be the mesh since I used the paper trick to get them aligned, but who knows. So far I haven't stripped the spur so I guess I can live with the noise. It does sorta sound pretty cool though haha. Anyways...heres a couple pics of the finished product after I got it running again.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh14559.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	1432799   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs58493.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	1432800  
Old 05-11-2010, 06:26 AM
chaserogesr14

does anybody think this esc will work, mine just went out
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=VNR1381
Old 05-12-2010, 01:53 PM
calvino

ORIGINAL: rymansl2

Thought I'd dig this thread up from the dead since I just picked up a used MT off the 'bay recently. Lots of good info in here, I read up to about page 120 and then felt I got the jist of things . Right now mine has the stock MT gearing (10t pinion, 60t spur) and tires. I bought it as a roller so it was missing all the electronics, except the servo, and the body. I picked up a Jconcepts Illusion body, 1600mah DTX 6-cell battery, and a Trinity Mini Machine motor for it. I had a spare 1/10 scale ESC and micro RX laying around so I threw those in there to complete the package. I love this little thing! It really flies with the upgraded motor. Only issue I have is the steering (which I somewhat fixed by putting a zip-tie over the servo saver C clip), the motor heats up really quickly, and its pretty noisy. It almost sounds like a nitro when it goes by. I have ruled out the entire drivetrain as the source of the noise, and figured it must be either the motor or pinion/spur mesh. Without a motor attached the drivetrain runs smooth as silk without any noise (and I tore it down and made sure everything was lubed and seated properly right after I recieved it). I don't see why it would be the mesh since I used the paper trick to get them aligned, but who knows. So far I haven't stripped the spur so I guess I can live with the noise. It does sorta sound pretty cool though haha. Anyways...heres a couple pics of the finished product after I got it running again.
Woo more 18T's I just puled out one of the ones I have had kicking around for a while since I "plan" to take it on a small trip and maybe bash on the beach since my crawler is down ([&:]) Did you try popping in a new spur gear. Sometimes the noise can be ruled as the bearings, let me say this, the sound difference between a new car and one with old bearings is night and day [X(] They are cheap enough on "Avid RC" that trying to clean them is sortof a null deal [8D] I should get some pics of mine up later, nothing special though [8D]
Old 05-29-2010, 06:51 AM
turok007

Q im using a tekin mini rage setup in my RC18 but the last 2 times i have used it. it starts to stutter after a few minutes. if you try to go full speed it seems to lose power then goes then cuts out then goes again . this happened with a 2 cell lipo and a ni-mh. anyone have a answer. i will try resetting the esc but if that don't work i will try a different motor. i just hope the ESC isn't faulty.
Old 05-29-2010, 11:03 AM
Lovespicyfood
My Feedback: (1)

Question, does the diff rebuild kit come with the plastic nut that fits in the out drives to retain the dogbone shaft (not sure if I used the right lingo)?

I noticed that one of my front dog bones makes a horrible noise and almost comes out at full steer deflection. Turns out that the "dog ears" on this spring retainer broke and got pushed in towards the center of the diff allowing the dogbone to come out...

The reason I ask this question is that some pics show it with this piece and others do not...

Thanks!
Pete
Old 05-29-2010, 05:44 PM
turok007

ORIGINAL: Lovespicyfood

Question, does the diff rebuild kit come with the plastic nut that fits in the out drives to retain the dogbone shaft (not sure if I used the right lingo)?

I noticed that one of my front dog bones makes a horrible noise and almost comes out at full steer deflection. Turns out that the ''dog ears'' on this spring retainer broke and got pushed in towards the center of the diff allowing the dogbone to come out...

The reason I ask this question is that some pics show it with this piece and others do not...

Thanks!
Pete

sometimes if the standard diff has been done up to tight it gets shorter so the shafts will start to fall out
Old 05-30-2010, 01:52 PM
turok007

RE tekin rage.. i have just tried another motor and all seems fine.
Old 06-02-2010, 11:34 AM
Ttam Says Blarg

Hey guys! Im finally getting all the stuff to complete the rc18b. Any thoughts.. Its completely stock so im really not knowing what to expect.. Building a small track to. Pics when im done.
Old 06-08-2010, 05:09 AM
turok007

ORIGINAL: Ttam Says Blarg

Hey guys! Im finally getting all the stuff to complete the rc18b. Any thoughts.. Its completely stock so im really not knowing what to expect.. Building a small track to. Pics when im done.

even stock it will be quick. also the standard diffs wont last long. if your doing alot of stopping and starting.
Old 06-10-2010, 12:16 PM
fastandloud

Well I was running my Rc18mt with a newly installed 8000kv reedy today at the skatepark and during a high speed pass i slid out and watched my truck fall 20 ft to the river bank below. Rollerblader kid helped me find it upside down and twitching at the waters edge......Lets hope it dries out and works and if not.....a moment of silence for a fallen Rc18. (since i run the LHS it will rise again mwahahahah)
Old 06-10-2010, 02:17 PM
Mousesi2k

Dang sorry to hear man

But on a happy note, theres a brand new 18B in my line-up now! She's only 4 days old and already been givin the brushless and lipo treatment aswell as a few other mods i had lying around!

Old 06-10-2010, 03:11 PM
fastandloud

Nice man! What kind of LIPO is that? I cant find many 3s that fit.
Old 06-10-2010, 04:13 PM
turok007

i have used the TP 2100 packs
Old 06-10-2010, 04:19 PM
Mousesi2k

ORIGINAL: fastandloud

Nice man! What kind of LIPO is that? I cant find many 3s that fit.
Its a Thunder Power Pro Lite V2 2100mah. I had to do some chassis modification to make it fit but its so snug now!
Old 06-11-2010, 11:12 PM
FloridaDude

Dam Mouse!!!! that buggy is freaking awesome!
Old 06-12-2010, 12:38 AM
Mousesi2k

Thanks FloridaDude!!

So far the mod list in the few days ive owned it are:

9400kv Losi Xcelorin Motor
Mamba Micro Pro ESC
Spektrum Radio Gear
Thunder Power Prolite V2 2100mah 3s Lipo
Associated FT Dogbones
Associated Foam Wheels
Aluminum Steering thingy (lol, think its called the bellcrank?)
Stock 18R Shocks in the rear
3Racing Motor Heatsink
3Racing Carbon Fiber Battery Strap
Gearing is stock 14/55!!
Associated Stock RC18 Chassis customized minorly (for the battery to fit)

All of the electornics stuff, motor, esc, radio where takin out of my Mini-T and all of the other parts were left over from when my 18R was an 18T! So really, i've only spent $$$ on the lipo. Very very happy with the way its running. Just need to clean up the steering like i did on the 18R. I have plans for more upgrades but my wallet isnt liking me at the moment. So for now, she stays like this!
Old 06-12-2010, 07:11 PM
calvino

MAAN! Mouse, you got one nasty car I am guessing the foamies are a must, never ran them but when the stock tires get slightly ballooned its a mess [X(] Still have to get one going but the last time I took one out, it wasn't pretty [&o]

Tip for the wet mamba, stick it in the fridge for a day or two, should take the moisture out just fine. I have soaked electronics before and made sure to unplug it ASAP and dried it out with next to no damage
Old 06-13-2010, 03:37 PM
Mousesi2k

ORIGINAL: calvino

MAAN! Mouse, you got one nasty car I am guessing the foamies are a must, never ran them but when the stock tires get slightly ballooned its a mess [X(] Still have to get one going but the last time I took one out, it wasn't pretty [&o]

Yeah man, ballooned tires suck!! Ill save the stockers for this local dirt track im gonna try and go to soon. Just gotta find them time to make it out there and give some 1/8th scales a run for there money!
Its weird though, the 18B seems so much faster then the 18R. Theres a few factors that play in that i think would way each other out but so far im not seeing it.

#1 The 18R has smaller overall diamter wheels which would make it run slower, but at the same time, has a 25C lipo. Feels light there the 18B while running a 3Racing chassis.

#2 The 18B has larger overall diamter wheels making it faster, but has a 20C lipo in it. Oddly, this car actually feels heavier then the 18R and its still in the stock chassis.

So im guessing the 20/25c differance really isnt noticable? Or the R/B wheels size differance makes a noticable differance. Both cars run the exact same motor / esc / gearing.

Either way, im thrilled with both of them and enjoy both equally!

Calvino, Get back in the game!!!
Old 06-13-2010, 06:46 PM
calvino

Aaah I should get back into the game I need to dig up the parts and do another "tear down and re-build" on them and get started. They are fun if they are set up right, I can't deny that for a second It is just getting them set up right that can be a little pain at times ([:'(]) I am sticking with shafty drive for now, I have done the "2" cars (the Sc18 which is similar) but who knows, it would need to be on a track. I am still thinking either truck or buggy.

You did get me inspired, with an event coming up soon at the beach... *HMM* I could maybe pull it out on break at shop also, have a little fun at lunch time

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.