Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum
View Poll Results: A poll
Mamba 4700
0%
Mamba 5400
0%
Mamba 6800
0%
Mamba 8000
0%
Stay Brushed
0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Brushless: Yes or No?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 03:31 AM
RCKID17

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brushless: Yes or No?

I am wondering if I should go brushless or not in my RC18T/R. I don't plan on running it with Lipos only 6-8 cell NiMh packs. So should I go brushless and if I should which one should I get keeping my battery choice in mind.
Old 12-27-2007, 04:49 AM
Dokioto

Default RE: Brushless: Yes or No?

I don't se why any one would say no.. Brushless is far batter than brushed motors (sorry brush fans).

I don't know how tough the drive train is in the Truck but you can't go wrong with the 6800 for an all around motor (searching could give you the answers you need).
Old 12-27-2007, 04:57 AM
Mini_Me

It rains up here, and the Mamba does have a protective water resistant paint covering the circuit board. Not that you will run in the rain, but there are always those unseen puddles. 5400 is what I would get for bashing.
Old 12-27-2007, 11:37 AM
-Inverted-

Brushless is really nice; but from my experience it is definitely not needed to have fun. If you have the money, go for it. To me, a nice Reedy or Orion can often suit well.
Old 12-30-2007, 06:09 PM
Metallover

your poll expired - go brushless. jaejw has great mini brushelss knowledge. he says the permax 400/4d is the best and that is what I am getting. get a quark 33a pro car esc with it because the mamba 25 esc is at risk for burning up (with the permax). ammo motors are second...
Old 12-30-2007, 06:55 PM
Dokioto

^ It might be the best for the Vendetta but the RC18?
Old 12-30-2007, 07:17 PM
The Hedgehog

Yeah Dime this is for a RC18 series not vendetta...
Old 12-30-2007, 11:27 PM
-Inverted-

To the original poster - I personally would invest in lithium polymer batteries before a brushless system. I LOVE them. 2000 mAh is great in cars this size.
Unfortunately many of the best brushed motors are no longer made so there isn't many options other then brushless. However, if you can get a URC Krystal, or a T-rex you would have a TOP brushed motor. Not saying there are no good brushed motors left, but those are ones to look for.

The main problem with brushless isn't really a problem per say. The issue is most have no idea what they are getting into when choosing a system. Many can't handle a Mamba 8000; let alone one pushing a lot of volts. A 5400 or 6800 on a 2 cell high capacity lipo is a great setup if budget allows.
Old 12-31-2007, 01:30 PM
ajb1205

Definitely go brushless if it's in your budget...if not...wait until it is! I am running the Mamba 6800 and with the stock battery it goes WAY faster than stock. I will be soon ordering a lipo for it and I can't wait for the fun to start.
Old 12-31-2007, 02:08 PM
KRO

I dont run any brushed motors in my minis , the gains from going brushless are just too great IMO not to go that way .

The main problem with brushless isn't really a problem per say. The issue is most have no idea what they are getting into when choosing a system. Many can't handle a Mamba 8000; let alone one pushing a lot of volts. A 5400 or 6800 on a 2 cell high capacity lipo is a great setup if budget allows.
Agreed , I will also say that alot of people that go to a brushless system do not realize the stress the extra power puts too the drivetrain and dont take into account the modifications/upgrades that should be done either .

BTW , I run a Mamba 8000Kv system in my RC18 and I love it ! Just have to practice a little throttle control is all .

And it will be plenty quick with the stock battery , but a LiPo will be better (lighter than NiMh , lighter=faster) .
Old 12-31-2007, 03:18 PM
-Inverted-

ORIGINAL: KRO

I dont run any brushed motors in my minis , the gains from going brushless are just too great IMO not to go that way .

Agreed , I will also say that alot of people that go to a brushless system do not realize the stress the extra power puts too the drivetrain and dont take into account the modifications/upgrades that should be done either .

BTW , I run a Mamba 8000Kv system in my RC18 and I love it ! Just have to practice a little throttle control is all .

And it will be plenty quick with the stock battery , but a LiPo will be better (lighter than NiMh , lighter=faster) .
Exactly. Too many people purchase a 6800 or 8000 system with a 3 cell lipo, then go on and on about how their truck isn't running, parts are breaking, etc. By then people now don't want to spend the money to beef up their truck due to what they just spent on their brushless.

However, if all this fits into the budget, it is a great way to advance yourself in the hobby.