Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

Issues with differentials. Need help!!

Old 09-19-2008, 03:14 PM
clk_cpa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Issues with differentials. Need help!!

I had MIP's on my RC18t and everything was perfect until the rear diff. broke. Yes, even though they are steel, they still can break. I replaced it with GPM Derlin diff to try it out and see how it'll work out. Now I can't get it right. Either the diffs are too loose, the rpm of the motor goes up and the car goes half as fast as before, or the diffs are too tight and the car has really hard time moving and makes weird noises. How tight/loose are the diffs supposed to be? Am I having problems because i'm using GPM in the rear and MIP in front? I'm running Sidewinder with 6.9K, 6 cells and 55t spur and 18t pinion but had the same issues with stock 60t/14t.
Old 09-19-2008, 10:21 PM
calvino

Default RE: Issues with differentials. Need help!!

about 1/4 turn out, check your car for binding, so the whole outdrive assembly broke or what, if that did, then thats nuts, if the gear (plastic) broke i wouldn't be so shocked [&:]
Old 09-22-2008, 02:52 PM
Suprachrgd82

Part of your problem may be your selection of manufacturers. GPM is not known for making quality parts. Sure, they look nice, but the grades of material they use are not very good.

First, chech the instructions to see that you built everything correctly and used all of the correct parts in their respective locations. Clean off the lube you used, and use some grease intended for ball-diffs.

Adjust the slipper clutch if applicable.

If this all fails, either swap F/R, or get yourself another MIP. MIP makes quality products with quality materials.
Old 09-22-2008, 04:46 PM
clk_cpa

Yup, the outdrive assembly broke. Must've happen because of a bad jump or something. But I think the problem is with the GPM part like Supra said. I replaced the GPM with the stock diff and it's working fine. Ordered another MIP and hope that this one will last.