Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

Xcelorin went poof.

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 02:56 PM
robwiljas

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Xcelorin went poof.

I just bought a new Xcelorin 6000Kv system for my Losi 1/18th Raminator and I already had the Losi 2s 1650mAh LiPo. Everything worked good but I wanted more speed so I ordered an Aero-nuts 3s Lipo. Well in the 2 weeks it took to get here I fell in love with the Slash and decided to sell my Raminators so I listed them. Yesterday the 3s pack finally arrived and it was killing me so I had to try it out at least once right? Well I did, and as soon as I hit the brakes the Xcelorin ESC let out the magic smoke. I had it geared 16/60 which is more than acceptable, so it's definately not something I did. I'm so freakin mad right now. [:@] The weird thing is forward still works, just don't hit the brakes lol. Now I have to call Horizon Tuesday and send it in for replacement, but I replaced the battery wire and connectors with a Losi EC3 connector with 14Ga wire so I don't know if they'll still take it (and yes I wired it correctly). I've only had it for 2 weeks and ran it twice, I can't believe it did this. I really don't even feel like dealing with it so I'm probably just going to take the loss and sell it as is. Sorry I just had to vent.
Old 01-18-2009, 04:50 PM
rob-s
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Xcelorin went poof.

with a 2S lipo I think you may have been borderline on the gearing, with a 3S definately overgeard
Old 01-18-2009, 09:12 PM
robwiljas

Losi's recommended gearing with a 3s on the mlst is 14/54, or up to 17/54 if you watch the temps, I was geared 16/60 so I was definately not overgeared. Also considering it popped when I hit the brakes the first time (after running forward about 20 feet) and the esc and motor were cold it definately wasn't gearing.
Old 01-18-2009, 09:29 PM
Mr. Mugen

Do they recommend that gearing for a brushed or brushless motor?
Old 01-18-2009, 11:13 PM
robwiljas

For the 6000Kv Xcelorin brushless, it's in the manual [link=http://losi.com/ProdInfo/Files/1-18SensorlessMotorManual.pdf]here[/link]. I know someone running a CC 8000Kv on 18/60 with no problems. I literally went 20 feet, then hit the brake and it smoked. It still works, but if you touch the brake it smokes.
Old 01-18-2009, 11:24 PM
Mr. Mugen

I say send it back to horizon. They will most likely replace it free of charge. If you got it at your lhs they will likely exchange it for you.

Kevin
Old 01-18-2009, 11:33 PM
robwiljas

I bought it at A-Main. The only thing I'm afraid of though is that Horizon wont exchange it because I replaced the power wires and plug on the ESC with a Losi EC3 connector prewired with 14Ga wire. Hopefully the will though, I'll have to call them on Tuesday. Either way I just ordered a Slash today so I'm selling this.
Old 01-19-2009, 12:17 AM
rob-s
Banned

clearly says 9T to 14T pinion, doesn't say anything about spur
too large a pinion means motor works too hard
Old 01-19-2009, 12:23 AM
robwiljas

It clearly says 9-14T in the green zone, up to 17t in yellow, meaning it's ok if you watch the temps. Also that's with the stock 54t spur, when you use a larger spur you can go larger on the pinion. My motor and ESC were both cold and only fried when I hit the brake, that's not gearing. It was a defect.
Old 01-19-2009, 12:36 AM
rob-s
Banned

maybe, if mesh was right.
if not right, no defect.
Old 01-19-2009, 12:57 AM
robwiljas

I don't mean to come off as a jerk, or like I think I know everything, but I've been in this hobby for 17 years. I know gearing, and I know how to set mesh, it was fine. There was a defect in the ESC, and I'm not the only one this has happened to with it.
Old 01-19-2009, 01:01 AM
Mr. Mugen

I had one do the same thing. I was running it in front of the lhs owner when it happened. He said it had to be defective so he swaped it out for a new one. This was in the micro....same thing though. It went forward about 20 feet and smoke was out. I too made sure mesh was not an issue as did he when he picked it up and check it first. We both thought maybe the motor moved when tightened but nada.

For what it's worth,
Kevin
Old 01-19-2009, 01:18 AM
rob-s
Banned

ORIGINAL: robwiljas

I don't mean to come off as a jerk, or like I think I know everything, but I've been in this hobby for 17 years. I know gearing, and I know how to set mesh, it was fine. There was a defect in the ESC, and I'm not the only one this has happened to with it.
u know unit had bad history and u still bought it?
Old 01-19-2009, 01:23 AM
robwiljas

I've read of a few people who've had it happen, doesn't mean they're all bad though. I know people who've had CC ESCs or Novak ESCs pop too.
Old 01-19-2009, 06:50 AM
sonicj
My Feedback: (2)

i've smoked 2 of the 1/18 xcelorin esc's so far... fist was on a 3s lipo, second made it through a 2s pack and then poofed on the 1st pass on a 7.2 nimh pack. i didn't have anythign set wrong (afaik). motor never got hot.

the LHS (almost local, 2 hours away) was nice enough to swap the first system for me. the second is at horizon and should be back any day. hopefully it was just a bad run of esc's and my next will be smooove (knock on wood)!!!
Old 01-19-2009, 10:00 AM
Beomagi

Also been reading of back luck on excelorin esc's. Motors seem decent though I'd probably stick to using one on a mamba/quark/dynamite.
Old 02-15-2009, 07:18 AM
sonicj

im so *&^%!n pissed! my third (yes, you read correctly! 3rd!) 1/18 xecelorin esc went up in smoke tonight! as with robwiljas' incident, this time i know it wasn't heat related or gearing related due to the fact that the esc wasn't even allowed the opportunity to heat up. using a fresh 3s lipo, i powered on the esc. when i uplugged the signal wire from the rx to change a few settings, POOF! unbelievable!

i've noticed other weird-isms with the programming and operation of the esc in addition to the smoke feature. one more than one occasion, after programming the esc it seems to think that its time to go, so it launches off the desk or out of your lap w/o any input from the tx. when programming with the aqpc, it almost always takes 5 or more tries for the new changes to take. a few days ago, it suddenly reversed the controls for forward and reverse and required it to be reset. even with very acceptable gearing, the esc gets extremely hot with the supplied 8200kv motor.

the 1/18th xcelorin esc is flawed! if its one or two bad apples here and there thats one thing... i've had 3 go bad myself! if they replace this one without making some changes, im sure it won't be long before i have a 4th. they need to quit producing this piece of garbage until they figure out why their product is consistantly failing under normal operating conditions and then compensate those who have had to suffer through misery of owning this product. im fairly certain i will get a new replacement, and thats great. but im sick of waiting 2 to 4 weeks for a replacement esc everytime it decides its ready to commit suicide.

they have to know their is a is major issue with these esc's by now and im really surprised they haven't done something to protect their good name. my fully functional jrx-pro at 20 something years old is why i personally held such a high regaurd for products bearing the losi name. they obviously have a good amount of time and resources invested in the xcelorin lineup. in this highly competitve market and with the rise in popularity of the cheap chinese brushless equipment, it would seem like a good idea to squash this issue and own up to it in the form of a recall before their reputation is any further tarnished. its going to take a lot to get rid of the taste left behind by these escs and i have a feeling im not the only one...
Old 02-15-2009, 09:22 AM
Irlsh
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: sonicj

im so *&^%!n pissed! my third (yes, you read correctly! 3rd!) 1/18 xecelorin esc went up in smoke tonight! as with robwiljas' incident, this time i know it wasn't heat related or gearing related due to the fact that the esc wasn't even allowed the opportunity to heat up. using a fresh 3s lipo, i powered on the esc. when i uplugged the signal wire from the rx to change a few settings, POOF! unbelievable!

i've noticed other weird-isms with the programming and operation of the esc in addition to the smoke feature. one more than one occasion, after programming the esc it seems to think that its time to go, so it launches off the desk or out of your lap w/o any input from the tx. when programming with the aqpc, it almost always takes 5 or more tries for the new changes to take. a few days ago, it suddenly reversed the controls for forward and reverse and required it to be reset. even with very acceptable gearing, the esc gets extremely hot with the supplied 8200kv motor.

the 1/18th xcelorin esc is flawed! if its one or two bad apples here and there thats one thing... i've had 3 go bad myself! if they replace this one without making some changes, im sure it won't be long before i have a 4th. they need to quit producing this piece of garbage until they figure out why their product is consistantly failing under normal operating conditions and then compensate those who have had to suffer through misery of owning this product. im fairly certain i will get a new replacement, and thats great. but im sick of waiting 2 to 4 weeks for a replacement esc everytime it decides its ready to commit suicide.

they have to know their is a is major issue with these esc's by now and im really surprised they haven't done something to protect their good name. my fully functional jrx-pro at 20 something years old is why i personally held such a high regaurd for products bearing the losi name. they obviously have a good amount of time and resources invested in the xcelorin lineup. in this highly competitve market and with the rise in popularity of the cheap chinese brushless equipment, it would seem like a good idea to squash this issue and own up to it in the form of a recall before their reputation is any further tarnished. its going to take a lot to get rid of the taste left behind by these escs and i have a feeling im not the only one...
-
I hear this happening to so many people. which is why i wont agrivate myself in getting it so i can sit around playing the waiting game etc.. i usually learn my lesson on the second time lol. goodluck. and to many claims with horizon will leave you empty.
Old 02-15-2009, 01:22 PM
deanR

Just get a tried and trusted mamba sidewinder speed control. they are like 60 bucks or around there.
Old 02-15-2009, 02:29 PM
Derigor

losi electronics... garbage.

I suggest a Novak.

Or get a CC system. I am biased though. Novak has been around for ever so I trust them. (Even though I'm a Tekin guy).
Old 02-15-2009, 04:06 PM
sonicj

trust me, this wouldn't have been my first choice! santa selected this fine system as per the advice of hobbytown. i doubt too many claims on this particular sku would net anyone empty handed. its well documented as being prone to self destruct if you so much as look at it funny!

the new reedy stuff looks purdy and i'd like to try it... but then again, my fuse is probably a little to short to be a guinea pig right now.

im looking at the cc stuff and what "does more than you can handle" mean specifically? why should i get the micro pro if the sidewinder is already more than i can handle? im ready to spend money and now i have to go do more research because they have some smart ass comment in their documentation vs publishing real specifications.