Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

Got my son Mini T... it needs mods

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 09:00 PM
FlooredCOBRA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got my son Mini T... it needs mods

Okay just got home from hobby shop. We picked up a ready to run Mini T and are pretty excited about it. We put in the AA batteries and took it for spin. I think I seen a SEARS special RC car go faster than this one. I was supprised it used only 4AA in the car for power. I would have figured a 7.2 recharge pack at least.
A couple of years ago I got him a Duratrax Vendetta for Christmas. That was very impressive right from the box bone stock. So in way we was expecting about the same speed. But now seeing the different voltage on batteries I can see why and they don't compare yet. So for hell of it we stuck the 7.2 in the Mini T even though it does not fit ( just laid it under the speed controller not secured ) but the speed was very noticeable. We can be happy with that speed. We ran up and down the street twice and pulled the pack out. No sure if the stock speed controller can run at 7.2 or if it will be harming it.
So my question is it okay to run a 7.2 pack in the Mini T and not harm it? Also we have an Baja Micro Modified Motor Made by ORION. We got this a while back for the Vendetta. Hobby shop put it in. Later i pulled it out and noticed the motor shaft was smaller than the stock Vendetta motor and the gear was rigged on.
In the Vendetta the motor did not have as much bottom end as the stock motor. But it had more rpm's on top end it seemed. I read somewhere that when you use that motor you are supposed to go down in gear size on the motor. I think its been a while.
So has anyone used this motor in the Mini T and liked it? If so should I gear it down? Also will it be okay to run this motor and a 7.2 pack on stock speed controller? The truck is only 3 hours old so trying to use what I have. I will order a new battery pack but not looking to redo entire truck. That will be up to my son to change stuff later.
Any pointers would be great. Also I had to start a new thread on this. I tried searching but quickly backed out of the threads after reading the feuding. Just trying get some pointers thanks!
Old 01-31-2009, 09:10 PM
mrbonez

Default RE: Got my son Mini T... it needs mods

first welcome
you should be fine running a 7.2 battery pack thats what alot of guys run in there mini t's and the baja motor will be fine as well i personally used that motor for a week or 2 in my mini and no problems the only trouble you will have with the baja is gettings pinion gears that work because it has a rather short shaft
Old 01-31-2009, 09:39 PM
Straick

The stock ESC is perfectly fine with 7.2 volts going into it. I used to run a Trinity Mini Monster motor in my first MiniT(sold it to a guy who was going to Iraq). I could drift that car like it was nothing when the cement was wet. As far as the other upgrades go, get a [link=http://www.thetoyz.com/cart/thetoyz_details.lasso?id=9188&cat_name=]Chassis Brace[/link]. That is the one I am using on my Pro that's running a brushless setup. The brace will keep from having to replace the main chassis as often from headon impacts into things. Also, as your son gets better, you might want to look at the CVD driveshafts for it, they don't wear out like the stock dogbones. Finally, invest in a set of pinions that use a setscrew instead of the plastic press on the shaft style. The plastic one's tend to slip too easy when you up the power of the motor.
The best place for aftermarket parts I've found is [link=http://www.thetoyz.com]TheToyz[/link]. They have a good assortment of parts, both stock and aftermarket, and they are all in one place.
Old 01-31-2009, 09:44 PM
jas0n1

yeah ive seen people use 3s lipo with the stock electronics. 11.1 volts
Old 01-31-2009, 10:42 PM
FlooredCOBRA

Hey thanks for the fast reply's.
I am going to go ahead and order some 7.2 packs for the Mini T and Vendetta. It looks like the going price for those are around $24.99 As for putting a 3 lipo in it I will have to skip that step. We did that to his Vendetta and it really ran fast, made a big difference but it burnt out the speed controller eventually. Was fun while it lasted though.

We just put the motor in it but it wont run on those 4AA cells. It barely moves the car now I guess the motor drained them pretty fast. Gear mesh is fine so has to be the batteries I think. Oh one more thing noticed they are using black plastic bushings. From what it looks like it uses 8 bearings for the wheels. Is that all or are there more inside of the transmission?