Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

OFFICIAL MINI E-REVO THREAD!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 10:12 AM
z33guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: OFFICIAL MINI E-REVO THREAD!!!

everybody said they had to modify the battery door to get those 2s lipos to fit, but i didnt. i just kinda forced the door shut on them and they fit fine.
Old 01-13-2010, 10:21 AM
brianjskora
My Feedback: (3)

I agree, Iwas able to close my 2s without cutting, and maybe couldve squeezed in my 3s,but I was worried I would brake off the tab from the pressure so I trimmed. A little less water resistant but I try not to run in wetter than normal conditions. Good point though for those that dont like to modify the stock setup.

Im sure this has already been brought up, but whenever i run series or parellel, I use to have to fight the wires coming out of the back and getting in the way. I fixed this by making a slot on the front of the left battery slot (receiver side) and I run this battery plug forwards, and the one on the right i put in normally. This spreads the wire over the radio box and it doesnt get in the way for me anymore.
Old 01-13-2010, 06:20 PM
J0EC00L

Hey if there are any MERV experts out there... Please rake a look at my earlier posts on this page (60). I make reference to a few dillemnas with photos and illustrations.

Would like some expert advice / help.

Thans

Joe.
Old 01-13-2010, 06:31 PM
brianjskora

Joecool, the only thing you can do is drill some off your wheel. I wouldnt recommend it, because it could fail, or really mess with the structural integrity, but its the only option except different wheels.
Old 01-13-2010, 06:53 PM
J0EC00L

Brian thanks for the help. I was thinking that may be my only choice. I shouldn't have to drill down too much as I have a small tip of the shaft actually protruding from the inner part of the rim.

My only other option is willing to trade with someone who has paddles for the merv an wants paddles for the full size revo or a 1/10th traxxas rc. I would be willing to do a full swap paddles for paddles but they have to be brand new such as mine.
Old 01-13-2010, 08:58 PM
brianjskora

Trading would be great if you can find someone!

I was thinking longer axle studs, but I dont think they make anything like that for these cars, but I could be wrong.

I ordered some HPI SS wheels for mine, and just put them on. Pretty good fit, not as much stud as the stock wheels have, but they do work. My error was I ordered the stock tire, and although it fits, its just a little too narrow. You can see in the pics that the rim is a little wider than the tire. No big deal for now.

I also got the center dif, installing tonight. Can't wait to see how it handles now.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	If10423.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	1355586   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt61639.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	1355587   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd82844.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	1355588  
Old 01-14-2010, 10:06 AM
z33guru

I'd like a little more clearance out of my mini revo. Can somebody recommend a good tire and wheel upgrade for me, just maybe one size larger than stock?I don't want to run something so heavy as to cause alot more breakage, but a little more clearance on some tires more suited to my driving would be nice.Mostly do short grass like fields and tree &leaf areas, also sometimes some pavement.
Old 01-14-2010, 10:17 AM
J0EC00L

Brian,

i was wishing for the same too - longer axle studs! I haven't come across anything of the sort, and i am almost certain that the 1/10 scale axles/shafts will be too big.

I like those SS rims. It appears that it widens the wheel base for these MERVS. I was wondering if that truly increases our handling characteristics? Also, i'd like to know which center diff you installed. I know they already come with a center diff, but do the after market ones really make any difference at all.

My biggest complaint, and probably my only complaint about the MERVS - they tend to flip over too easily when turning. There has to be some way to decrease this regular occurring issue. It really sucks when you're showing it off and doing jumps, wheelies, bashing etc... then you drive it up to someone's foot or near them, do a quick turn and "flump"!

Maybe widening the wheelbase will solve a majority of the easy flips!

i have to replace that rear diff carrier before i can even get my MERV back in business

Now, if i could just find someone who wants 1/10 Paddles...

- Joe
Old 01-14-2010, 11:37 AM
draven

OK so I have had my MERV for about a week now and I having a blast. The only thing is...I cant keep the tires glued! I broke the beads the first night that I ran it and again several times since then. So my question is... does anyone have and suggestions for keeping the tire glued to the rims? I was thinking about getting new wheels w/ bead lockers but they are a little pricey. Has anyone tried using urethane?
Old 01-14-2010, 12:00 PM
brianjskora

Joe- I find in the dirt it handles pretty well, but if there is any grass or anything, it just wants to tip instead of slide. If you think its bad though, just be glad you dont have a slash! I will let you know how the wider stance works, Im sure it will have some positives and negatives. I've heard the wheels are too light too, and that a heavier wheel will give you better handling, but of course there are drawbacks. I plan to get proline beadlocks eventually beacuse they have a little more weight, offset, and beadlock.

Draven-  I just use alot of glue, but I run into the same problem. I am going to get beadlocks eventually.
Old 01-14-2010, 12:02 PM
z33guru

Are these beadlocks true beadlocks as in, no need for glue any longer?
Old 01-14-2010, 12:07 PM
brianjskora

Im pretty sure the pro lines are real bead locks, since they are 3 pieces and advertised as that, but I do not know from experience. Maybe someone has them and will chime in.
Old 01-14-2010, 03:14 PM
gforce2148

Yes, the Pro-line Titus Wheels are true beadlocks. I have a set on my MERV with Road Rages Tires and just ordered a set of Dirt Hawg tires. I was having the same problem with the stock tires and wheels with the glued beads coming loose. Especially running with dual batteries in series...the glued wheels just can't handle the speed. With the Pro-lines Ihaven't had a problem at all. Plus it gives it a wider stance and far better traction. I highly recommened them.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35638.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	1356016  
Old 01-14-2010, 04:47 PM
hamburgrd
My Feedback: (1)

This is what I can gather by reading on forums about rims and tires for the merv. I should have my pro-line beadlocks an dirt hawgs tomarrow. I am going to do some expirementing with reduced gearing to compensate for the larger tire. Since I will be driving in a lot of snow for a couple more months I will have to change my gearing when I start getting better traction this spring. I will post my findings hear since I have not found a good source for this info yet.
Old 01-14-2010, 04:54 PM
Ttam Says Blarg

Hey just wanted to stop by and say..... BUY RPM A-ARMS!!!!! I recieved this email today.

"Dear Matt,
Unfortunately, there aren't any plans for 1/16th scale Slash a-arms just yet (they aren't the same as those found on the Mini E-Revo). We're using the Mini E-Revo a-arms as a feeler to see if the 1/16th scale market is strong enough to support a line of RPM products. Please give us some time to see how the market holds up and if it does well, I'm sure you'll see quite a number of new parts in 1/16th scale from RPM in the not too distant future.
Take care and thank you for your interest and support of RPM products. If you have any other questions or comments, please feel free to send us another e-mail."
Old 01-14-2010, 08:19 PM
J0EC00L

Anyone care for some paddles mounted and everything? They are proline rims, but not bead locks. The rims are proline narrow wheel base rock crawler wheels with paddles mounted. I have wheel techs/specs.

Backspacing: 0.69" (17.5mm)
wheel hex: 0.47" (12mm)
min axle length: 0.42" (10.5mm) from the hex face to the end of the axle
max axle diameter: 0.196" (5mm)

Height: 2.2" (55.9mm)
Width: 1.6" (40.5mm)
Old 01-16-2010, 02:09 PM
jeppe317

im in the mini revo club now... 3s lipo, steel CVDs, proline beadlocks/roadrages.. have aluminum front skidplate and wing mount on the way.. will be lots more to come.
Old 01-16-2010, 02:11 PM
jeppe317

now time for the questions.. with the beadlocks and 3s should i switch to the speed pinion?
Old 01-16-2010, 03:50 PM
J0EC00L

By the way, are steel cvd's worth the price of upgrading? Or, should we just invest in a bunch of extra half shafts? Also, is upgrading the rocker arms necessary? I upgraded the shocks, though, they don't fit perfectly for the rear... the rods are already a little bent and the fronts can't be adjusted any stiffer or it seriously raises the ride height.

There needs to be a short list we can create - One that identifies MUST HAVE hop ups/upgrades and then a separate list identifying Cosmetic hop ups. Basically something that says, you "NEED" these for your MERV's performance; and, you really "DON'T NEED" these unless you just want the looks!
This way, when Newbs such as myself have questions, we can just point to the "manual"! We can address the topics/questions everyone asks: Batteries/Lipos, Shocks/Springs, Oil/Grease, Rims/Tires, Handling, Speed, etc...

Someone has to be a pro on these and can just make a short list of must have upgrades to ensure better performance and longevity, as well, as a list of nice add-ons to boost fun and performance.

I wish i could... i just don't have enough experience!
Old 01-16-2010, 10:37 PM
jeppe317

i dunno, i broke one of the plastic shafts and figured id save my self future troubles.. im glad i did cause its a pain to tear down and get back together. i can tell you the new wheels and tires made a major difference in handling/stability. it will slide now instead of flipping when you make a hard turn.

the skidplate and wing mount came today the toyz is FAAST i ordered it 2 days ago and it made it all the way from washington to indiana in that time.
Old 01-16-2010, 11:58 PM
J0EC00L

which tires are you referencing? I think i need to order a set now! I definitely like the bead lock idea... especially since it will elliminate the need for constant glueing!

I also spoke with a traxxas rep who told me that the best way to elliminate the flipping and non existent sliding, is to put heavy wt oil in the front and rear diff casings. i say heavy = thicker.

By the way... The Toyz have awesome customer service. I had the trouble with the easily beinding and breaking alluminum tierods/turnbuckles. He said to send them in and he will swap them out for another set or exchange for a similar at same cost. I am going with the steel shafts this time! i don't think they would do this anytime, since there really isn't a warranty. But he told me for some reason, the blue alluminum ones have dones this a couple times, so he understands. Plus it was less than 15 days after i purchased them.

Traxxas is good too with customer service, though, i think they were more interested in selling me replacement parts, rather than offering a deal or swap out, since my car is less than 2 months old. apparently only the electronics are warrantied - unless there is supect of manufacturer's defect.

Has anyone had trouble with their electronics? How did they handle it? Did they send a replacement or did you have to mail it back in and wait for the replacement? or did they sell you another one?

- Joe
Old 01-17-2010, 07:55 AM
brianjskora

JOE-

Thats great about the toyz, and my buddy got a revo when i did, and we were racing around im my yard for 10 minutes and his ESC fried. He is getting a free replacement, but he has been waiting since the 30th for it, so he's not loving his revo now since he got only 10 minutes on it haha.

As far as the wider wheels, I found the same thing as jeppe, when on pavement or level dirt, i can slam the brake and it will just slide or drift to a stop, spin around, and then i floor it the other way. I can race around parking lot islands and not flip at all, it is GREAT. I would definately go with the beadlocks though! My tires need more glue already. My own fault though because I was running 4s for some speed runs and that will just tear your glue off!
Old 01-18-2010, 07:37 AM
giantzack

Parts:

performance:
alu shocks
alu push rods
alu toe links
alu hubs (gets rid of wheel play)
centre dif (racing)
tan / black springs
esc if you want lower temps
lipos 2 2c or 2 3c
rpm front and rear a arms
tires a must stock ones suck.
Alum wing mount and body towwers.

That's all I have really done and I have hit walls at full speed and only replace minimal parts. Waiting for aluminum bulk heads. And a rule I live by is parts that need to flex use plastic solid parts use aluminum (hubs body posts bulk heads stuf like that).
Old 01-18-2010, 12:05 PM
jeppe317

one drawback to the proline wheels/tires is a longer stopping distance.

i had to replace both hub carriers ^^^^... and now the front allignment is off, any tips on adjusting the pillow balls.
Old 01-18-2010, 12:13 PM
brianjskora

I think the pillow balls just adjust how flat the tire is on the road surface. I had to get adjustable tie rods to get my alignment straightened out, but I like them alot. I also straightened my rear camber on the road and it will go perfectly straight

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.