Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > 1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars
Reload this Page >

Newbie questions about my rc18MT (gearing, batteries, and brushless)

Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

Newbie questions about my rc18MT (gearing, batteries, and brushless)

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 11:54 PM
silkywoods

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie questions about my rc18MT (gearing, batteries, and brushless)

I can't seem to find the answers to a couple questions I have about my new MT. I've had it about a week. Looking for some help.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the MT out of the box with a standard 6 cell nimh goes about 17mph.
What kind of speeds would I get running a nice 7 cell nimh battery? (keeping it stock)

second...I am thinking about a Mamba Micro Pro 5400kv system. What gearing will work using a standard 6 cell nimh pack. Stock on the MT is 10t pinion with 60t spur (as I'm sure everyone knows)
Can I put a 12t or 13t or even 14t pinion. I'm not going to be running LiPo in the near future.

Third...How important is the Driven Pinion/Spur gear cover. It looks like a great mod. I have gotten some dirt in there and I'm sure over time will do some serious damage if I don't have that cover but I don't run in dirt and rocks very often.
Also I hear that once you install these Driven covers you CAN'T run 7 cells. Would you rather run 7 cells and not have a cover or buy the best 6 cells and have the cover?

I'm not a racer, just backyard and street bashing with an trip to the indoor track every once in a while. I'm just looking for a little more speed 25+ mph.

thanks
Old 11-06-2009, 12:40 PM
flipside7

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Newbie questions about my rc18MT (gearing, batteries, and brushless)

really the biggest change in performance would be the cells, i know you dont want lipo, but thats where youll get the speed youre looking for, if you have brushed OR brushless, you get another 30 percent actual performance by switching, even though its just .2 volts more than a 7.2 pack. they make a day and night difference in the cars power

they arent dangerous anymore(unless youre an ape), theyre cheap, 15 to 25 bucks, even for a 3 cell 11.1volt!

as far as the pinion, it depends on what battery you choose, if you run the 7 cell, theyre pretty heavy, so maybe add a tooth to your current configuration, as the battery's extra weight takes a good chunk of the extra power. adding a 7th cell does NOT make a day and night difference in the car's power, but gives it some extra poop, but not a lot.

if you go lithium, get the 12t 13t and 14t

the EZrun brushless setups are actually an improvement over the mamba set ups, they can be adjusted in the field, and most have fans. they perform great, and are inexpensive.
ive used mamba, but prefer the ezrun/turnigy escs, and the field tuner thingy.

get the gear cover, and clean those gears before you put the cover on.

but really, the first noteworthy improvement to your rc, is getting rid of those nickel cells, and getiing into lithiums.-can i get a witness?!?