Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

Sumo/Redcat 1/24 fun NOT

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 07:33 PM
No Moa
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sumo/Redcat 1/24 fun NOT

Anyone with the new SUMO/Redcat 1/24 truggys or MT had any issues? I bought 2, for my boys 8th bday, and i'm dissapointed to say the least. . I'm looking for anyone who has had issues, if yours run good your lucky, i have 2, for now.

The following is with 12 brand new in the package aa batts.

1 Reverse works intermitently, with NO power at all, on both.

2 Forward is ok, once u can get it moving on a solid floor, no carpet.

3 can't run 2 at the same time anywhere near each other. Running channel 3 and 9.

4 one hums like a son of a gun. No adjustment stops it.

I'm going to try 4 2500nah rechargables in them when i can, but just seeing if anyone has had the same problam.

Old 03-03-2010, 02:05 PM
armalite_ar50

Default RE: Sumo/Redcat 1/24 fun NOT

I'm glad I read this I was thinking of getting one.

Just looked @ them today. glad I didn't whip out the debit card and order one.The two main things that turned me off WHERE....

.Motor looks like toy grade and it takes AA bateries.
I studied the pic's long and hard on their site and just can't see putting my own motor in there (have to buy theirs)and no decent spot to put any type of nimh or lipo batteries unless it was mounted to the inside of the lexan body.
The way they have the AA packs on the side doesn't leave much to work with as far as battery mods.

I'm not bashing this thing I have a RS10 from redcat and it's great. this just looks to be a toy grade RC with spare parts so you can fix it UN LIKE a toy grade.
Later
Rich
Old 03-03-2010, 02:24 PM
No Moa

I would never put down redcat, and I need to get some 3000nah batts, try those. Maybe that will help
Old 03-04-2010, 10:59 AM
TCA999
My Feedback: (32)

There are upgrades to them for Lipo and PCB boards along with a 180 motor vs the stock 131. I own a Volcano EPX Pro and Traxxas Stampede XL-5 and out of the box the RedCat blows the Stampede away with performance especially in speed and torque.  Does seem that the RedCat could make the stock parts a little more durable but the pieces I've broke on it were only about $3 each. I ordered my Sumo Truggy lastnight and should be here by Saturday.  I'm going to be using Lithium for the first run and use my rechargables after that...

Anyone know how to install the upgrade motor for the Sumos?
Old 03-04-2010, 04:11 PM
tylerjackson

Of course the epx pro is going to be faster it has brushless. The sumos copies of another companys toy grade RC, i cant remeber the name for the live of me but if you look it up you will be able to find their name somewhere. I believe the other company may have some other options that might make yours run alittle better so i would check on that. Just rememeber that these are more towards small kids RC's that hobby grade RC driver father buy their kids to keep them away from their expensive trucks.
Old 03-05-2010, 08:55 AM
TCA999
My Feedback: (32)

Your thinking of Radline. Radline is found in department stores. Why would someone buy their kids a $60-$70 rc car when for one they are too fast for younger children and second they can buy a Nikko Tuner for $25 that would be a much better fit for kids. Unless they are wanting to upgrade the vehicle...idk.

Old 03-29-2010, 10:25 PM
jeepin4fun

This is the first I've heard of the Redline 1/24 having any problems. I have 3 losi micros the T, Raminator, and Desert truck, I also have a Kyosho mini z monster (it's slightly bigger than my Raminator) Funny I came across this post because I just started researching the Redline Sumo this evening. I've been trying to find a comparison between the Losi Micro's, and these new Redline 1/24 SUMO"s. I am trying to find out how they compare in speed stock out of the box. The Kyosho Mini Z Monster I have works with the regular batteries mounted on each side just like the Redline. But down to the bottom line............. I'm attracted to the Redlines because they are 4x4, unlike the losi and kyosho's which are all 2 wheel drive. I'm anxious to find a comparison between these different makes and models, heck.... The redline 1/24 sumo Monster Truck is only 59.00 including free shipping, So if it comes down to it and I can't find the answers i'm looking for The 60.00 isn't that bad if I have to compare them personally. Check on Youtube, I found a few videos that had the Redlines modified, one guy bought a 4cell pack and cut it in half, soldered a couples wires and mounted each half into the battery holders on each side of his truck. From what i have found out though is that Redline has plans for many upgrades to the 1/24.... guess we'll wait and see
Old 04-17-2010, 02:23 AM
Nitro Killer Dave

I just got mine today, and I put some Energizer NiMH In it. They weren't fully charged, but it did run pretty fast! The only thing it didn't do is reverse. It did a little, but maybe it was from the low batteries.I'll charge them up over night and see if it's better. If not I guess I can send it back, but they will just send another. So I'll find out tomorrow. As for upgrading the motor it shouldn't be too tough! Just take the new one out and put the new one in. If you can soulder it shouldn't be too hard. I'm not there yet! I just got it, so I'll stick with the new motor for now. I'll try to write about it tomorrow and let who ever is reading this know! Mine did hum by the suround sound speakers.
Old 04-17-2010, 10:06 AM
bad=traxxass
Banned

Not sure what anyone is expecting in an rc car for 60-bucks, but these surely can't be quality or hobbygrade for that money. "You get what you pay for."
Old 04-17-2010, 12:52 PM
clutchjunkie

the car that got me into this hobby was a 1/24 radline, it was a neat little truck but without LHS support and metal dogbones and diffs it's just not worth it. I had a mini-spy and losi 280 motor in mine, and I split up a LiPo pack to fit where the stock batteries go. Those plastic drivetrain parts didn't last long.The Hobbywing 1/18 brushless systems will fit in these, btw, but I don't think it would survive the first trigger squeeze.
Old 04-17-2010, 06:12 PM
Nitro Killer Dave

Drove it today! Goes pretty fast. I really like the stearing. You can make it tight or wide. I think I will put the bigger motor in it just for kicks. 4 wheels good. Haven't tried any big hills yet. It's raining. It's so small I guess I can do it inside! I love my 1/8 nitro though. Nothing like haveing that nitro power, but it's still nice. Maybe I'll upgrade the whole truck!
Old 04-19-2010, 01:00 AM
Nitro Killer Dave

The Redcat is a good little truck! It does come with a bigger gear. I almost put it in. but decided not to. Atleast not yet. It's pretty easy to put in. Just unscrew a couple of screws in frount. You need a magnetic little screwdriver. The co. sent me the truck, when I orderd a truggy! I wrote to them and told them. They haven't returned my message yet. It's a real neet truck though! I'm going to order the bigger motor, and some upgrades. Try it, and maybe sell it. I just hope the Co. will make it right and sell me the Truggy really cheap. If not I'll write a complant to E-bay. I orderd a helecoptor on E-bay, and they sent the wrong one. The Co. from Hong kong didn't beleive me until I sent a picture. They sent a Chinook instead of a Apache, and they gave me a real good deal. I didn't have to pay the shipping, and they sent me 2 for $10! Can't beat that. I told them I wasn't going to send the Chinook back and pay shipping. They screwed up! So anyone out there gets the wrong product just complane. It might not work all the time, but I'll tell you it can be worth it! Just stick to your guns. These Co. want a happy coustmer, and if you're not happy then tell them. They make so much money on us it isan't funny. Millions and millions of $$$$$$!!!! Sometimes I think I should be writter. (Only if I could spell better) I'll write and let you know how it went with my wrong order they sent me!
Old 04-22-2010, 03:48 PM
diyminituner

I am having fun with the Sumo's myself. I got ambitious and took it completely apart and rewired the board. Now I have lipo power from two 7.4V 230mah micro-t lipos wired in parallel for 7.4V and 460mah. Surprisingly it has not blown the board. Truck is TWICE as fast as stock. Before the lipo, I used a 4 cell pack made up of 2/3A 1500mah cells and even though same voltage as the 4 AA cells the truck was way more responsive. Problem with the AA cells is that though they have high capacity, most have high internal resistance that doesn't allow full current output that the motor wants. I also had tried it with a PN Racing Mini-Z sized motor (130size Speedy AWD) and it fits in the stock motor clip fairly securely. The PN racing motor was actually more torquey, but same overall top speed as stock motor . Check out my blog article for some info and pics. [link]http://diyminituner.blogspot.com/2010/04/redcat-racing-124th-sumo-4x4-with-lipo.html[/link]
Old 10-08-2010, 08:04 AM
batteryholic

I just got the Sumo RC Truggy and am relatively new to RC. At 1st I thought there was something wrong with my Sumo RC. I would drive forward and push the reverse triggerand it would not back up. Later found out that it is just brakes and not reversing. To engage reverse you have to push foward twice on the trigger.

For batteries I'm using Pre-Charged Duracell 2000 mah AAs with white tops(relabeled eneloops). They have higher current ratings then most of the other AAs out there.http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...ad.php?t=79302 Hot from a 15 minute charger the Sumo RC is faster then I expected but abusive to the batteries. In the future I am going to buy some Cheap Battery Pack Elite 1700's which has superior high current rates. http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=287317 But I heard the current batch is not performing well and will wait.

Can't wait to modify my Sumo RC :-).

ORIGINAL: No Moa

Anyone with the new SUMO/Redcat 1/24 truggys or MT had any issues? I bought 2, for my boys 8th bday, and i'm dissapointed to say the least. . I'm looking for anyone who has had issues, if yours run good your lucky, i have 2, for now.

The following is with 12 brand new in the package aa batts.

1 Reverse works intermitently, with NO power at all, on both.

2 Forward is ok, once u can get it moving on a solid floor, no carpet.

3 can't run 2 at the same time anywhere near each other. Running channel 3 and 9.

4 one hums like a son of a gun. No adjustment stops it.

I'm going to try 4 2500nah rechargables in them when i can, but just seeing if anyone has had the same problam.

Old 01-12-2011, 09:03 AM
basementracer12

I bought one for myself and my son, we've had the same problem with interference trying to run them at the same time. We are on different channels but the cars have a mind of their own.  Not fun since we like to race.  Does anyone have a solution to this problem?  Much appreciated
Old 01-12-2011, 09:33 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: basementracer12

I bought one for myself and my son, we've had the same problem with interference trying to run them at the same time. We are on different channels but the cars have a mind of their own. Not fun since we like to race. Does anyone have a solution to this problem? Much appreciated
i am afraid that the radio is the cheapest part of the unit. my truck works great(after redcat sent a replacement servo) but the radio just feels cheap.

you can try putting the crystal from the radio into another radio, if you have one on hand. i did that at one point cause i forgot where i put the stock on..LOL
Old 01-12-2011, 09:58 AM
basementracer12

I havent tried the crystal in another radio, but i will tonight! Thanks.

Old 01-28-2011, 06:18 AM
bjhe333

I have had mine for 3 days now and am pretty impressed.

My cars inclue
Original LST w/LRP and Buku exaust
Aftershock/ stock
mini-t
Micro crawler
Blade cx-2(Heli)
and now sumo 1/24th truck.

What i have found. After beating the crap out of this thing I have had nothing break but I have had the tie-rod pop off, the motor shifted, and the tires slid out of the grooves. Very easy fixes. Popped the tie rod end back no. pulled the rear end off and re meshed the pinion and main drive gear( also changed to the 10 tooth gear) All very easy fixes so far. Dislikes, Steering servo and assembly in general is kind of cheap. It doesn't center very well, and I dont like the delay from reverse to forward( no wheelies) Other than those two things it is great for the money. I am running 2300 mah energizers and this thing rips. Will be ordering the 3600 mah aa's soon.

over all I would buy again in a heart beat.