Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

1/28 Firelap/Iwaver..

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 11:26 AM
eglitjys

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1/28 Firelap/Iwaver..

I have been playing around with the xmod cars for awhile, but am frustrated with the glitchy radios. I recently got a 2.4 ghz Firelap car from china that I am going to test out this week. I am thinking of importing a large number of them to sell to other people and offer an alternative to the next level up which is kyosho brand cars. Interesting thing is the radio looks exactly like a futaba fasst radio? It really looks very high quality. I saw one website that shows it is compatible with futaba receivers.

The car looks pretty cool too. I want some feed back on what you would think it should be priced at and is there interest? The xmods with a fm radio run about 54.00... I am thinking like 70 - 90 with a 2.4ghz radio... Thoughts??
Old 03-27-2010, 11:37 AM
catfish77

Default RE: 1/28 Firelap/Iwaver..

Do you have any pics or a web site of the vehicle? I would like to take a look at them...might be interested.
Old 03-27-2010, 05:44 PM
Seek and Destroy

Is there any of them like the Kyosho overlands ( the xmod trucks basically ) or the kyosho monster trucks? If there were then I would be interested.
Old 03-27-2010, 07:29 PM
eglitjys

Pictures
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36236.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	1405978   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65299.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	119.9 KB
ID:	1405979  
Old 03-27-2010, 07:43 PM
eglitjys

OK. If I go through with it I will get some of the trucks as well.
Old 03-27-2010, 07:55 PM
eglitjys

Some more pics..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12027.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	1405993   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc91813.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	1405994   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc78576.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	9.7 KB
ID:	1405995   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49650.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	1405996  
Old 03-27-2010, 08:24 PM
Seek and Destroy

That mclaren is nice
Old 07-14-2010, 09:47 PM
HSVXU6

Hi eglitjys. I started importing the Iwavers and Nano Racers last year into Australia. I bought one for myself first off to see what they were like and to have some RC wheel time during winter. I ended up building an indoor track and starting a club as well as setting up a spare parts section to compliment and back up the cars. We have had a great run out of the Iwaver 1 AM, the 2 FM as well as the AM Nano's. I was unable to get any 2.4g cars in my last order so I got more Nano's in. Some of the guys at the track have now bought Kyosho 4Wd cars and we are starting an open class where anything goes except for Lipo's. The class that we run at the moment is stock for Mini's Golf's and Suzuki's with no electronic mods, foams and stock bodies, great class and works well. We have computer timing which makes life at lot easier. There is a thread that I started called "Iwaver it's own thread" and there are some photos of the track there. I have done more work on the track since but you will get the idea. Paul
Old 04-04-2011, 04:44 PM
electric45

Well this will be slowest moving post ever... Unfortunately, it came to me pretty damaged as far as the body goes. Which was disappointing and Ipretty much reconsidered whether Iwanted to place an order for 200 cars with a company that would send me a sample car in a makeshift box. You should have seen the box, just kinda scotched taped together and basically falling apart.

Flash forward to this evening. Iglued it together and ran it. It really runs nice. Verynice surprise. Ihave tried thexmods and really was disappointed. My main beef is Ihad a lot of radio issues with the FM transmitters and the cars would glitch way to much. I wanted much more precise steering. This car is smooth and really drives nice. Ihave a HPI R32 coming tomorrow. Iam going to set up my track and compare the two. Should be interesting.

Who knows maybe this will be the right combination of technology and track to really get me more interested in it again.Glad to hear you have done well with it over in Australia!!! At the rate this thread is going, Iwill probabably get and update in a month or two. The funny thing is Ire-found this thread doing a google search on iwaver...

Old 04-04-2011, 06:27 PM
mrbonez

im glad to see this thread is active again . i have the same problem with xmods tried the and loved the scale but the radio's were hidious if you run 1 x mod alone we had no problems but as soon as you turn another one on the glitching would get really bad . i would love to see the i wavers get into the market in the states . the prices you mentioned would seem to be very marketable for us small car lovers . the d nano looked great but the price tag shot me down straight away . hope you have better luck with packaging if you do pursue the wavers . please keep us posted as you have
Old 04-04-2011, 06:52 PM
HSVXU6

Hi all. I have some 2.4ghz Nanoracers coming into Oz this week, looking forward to them. The track has been extended and altered to gain some more pit room and is going great and we have built a roll out "box" that slides out to the edge of the footpath and we have extra pit benches in there to gain a bit more room and some advertising. The box has been built with very modern materials and colours and people stop driving to have a look at it and also we now have more people coming into the track to have a look. It has only been in use for a month and it was well worthwhile building.
Old 04-06-2011, 11:45 AM
electric45

It would be great to see some pics of your track! Do you sell cars from a website? I did see some 2.4ghz xwaivers for sell at : www.miracle-mart.com. With shipping they came in close to 100 dollars, which is not too bad at all. My RS32 is coming in today so I will probably set the track up and shortly and try it out.

Like I have said, I really had high hopes for this type of racing and thought it would be something fun to do during the winter months and rainy days, but the glitching on the xmods made the whole thing unbearable. My son and his friends even got frustrated with the cars just jamming up all the time. So it has all been gathering dust. I was about to sell off the track, but with these newer 2.4ghz cars I am going to give it another go. I will let you know what my impressions are in the next week or so depending on when I can try it out.

On the business side(this would be a side-business since my current job keeps me plenty busy) I noticed very little activity on the forums which leads me to believe there is currently not a very big market for these cars? Not sure that is because of the lack of products offered, cost, or just lack of appeal to a larger segment of the rc world? To me, it seems to be the perfect size to race because it is so easy to set up a track in a climate controlled area. I am thinking the two big inhibitors were the cost of the Kyosho product and the poor quality of most of the other stuff. Now with 2.4ghz and HPI involved maybe that will change.

Enough rambling for today...back to work...
Old 04-06-2011, 01:52 PM
HSVXU6

Hi electric45.
You can see some pics on this forum on the "Iwaver its own thread" thread. I don't have a web for the cars at this stage, will later on.

The reason I built the track originally was to practice during the winter, I raced 1/10th on and off road and was president of a club a 100klms away. Now I really only race 1/28th on a regular basis.

My son came back to live in Ballarat with his wife and daughter and became interested in 1/28th and then a few mates got into them and then a few mates of mates and on it went. I bought 2 Iwaver 02M's then I bought 10 of them and parts and now I mainly sell Mini-Z's and Nanoracers. Nanoracers are a good start because they are the same as the MR-02's but half the price.

We run transponders and computer timing and a championship each year.

I think that part of the reason for lack of appeal is because people see them as toys because they are so small, what they don’t realise is that there is an art in racing them and also they are as tuneable as any other scale. The top guys at the track are running under 6.6 secs that is one hell of a concentration span and quick reflexes, much harder that 1/10th.

The reason that it has gone so well for us is because we sell the cars and parts at a realistic price, I'm not in it for the money, I make enough out of it to support my own addiction I own the building that the track is in which is in a small shopping strip, the track is set up all the time and people front up pay the $10 race for the day and go home. They don't have to do any work regarding the track and that's the way people like it, we are a lazy bunch at times.

I think it is a class that all people in RC should give a go, we have a guy and his son about to start and they fly planes, can't fly 24/7 but you can race with us 24/7 if you wish, don't have to worry about the weather or crash landings[X(]. I don’t know of any other RC class that you can start racing in for $100 plus 8 AA and 8 AAA alkaline batteries, pretty cheap I reckon
Old 04-07-2011, 06:27 PM
electric45

Yes, Iagree with you about the low cost of entry as well as the on going costs. Sounds like you have a great set up. Iused to travel to Asia quite a bit, but never made it over to Australia. Possibly with the next job (do a lot of Global Information Technology work) Iwill make it by.

Ijust ran my new RS32 and over all Iam quite happy with it. The steering is the best Ihave seen for this size thus far. Tracks very well and very nice feel. Not as fast as the Iwaver,but still such a good driving car it is a great starter, or for a smaller size track. The negatives are you have to assemble it. Kinda pain in the.$&$$ with the tiny screws, but not too big a deal. The other is the batteries. It only runs about 10 or so minutes on a charge, but the charger is a AA powered thing that takes 20 to 30 minutes to charge. So you drive for 10 and sit for 30. Still very solvable. Ijust ordered two custom made saddle packs to try out that only cost 10.00 a piece and they should fit fine.

Old 04-07-2011, 06:50 PM
HSVXU6

HI electric45.

If you are ever coming to OZ pls let me know and we might be able to catch up. When we race at the track the race time is normally 6 mins. So once the race is over you put the batteries on the charger before your next race and use the second set that gives the batteries some time to cool before you charge them.

If you are ever looking for a place to buy the nanoracers from, let me know and I wil get you a web address..
Old 04-08-2011, 10:08 AM
electric45

Thanks for the offer on the website and the visit!  I would like to check out the nanoracers so if you could "PM" that to me it would be great.   I was looking for those yesterday for quite some time and had no luck finding them.

You probably know this, but I found that www.cheapbatterypacks.com/ will custom build your packs with connectors for next to nothing.   Not a big deal on most cars since it is just a battery and a connector, but on the HPI RS32 it is because it uses four NIMH batteries configured in a "saddle" format with two on each side.   It would be quite a bit of soldering to get all together.   I was stunned at how cheaply they are doing it for. 

Just click on the link on the main page(Center) that shows Custom Battery Packs and it will walk you through the process, prety nice set up.
Old 07-02-2012, 02:51 PM
ausprime

Just thought u guys should see the new
IW-04M 4WD 2.4GHz on eBay.
http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/jonathanm...&_trksid=p3686
I have one my self. And there heaps of fun.

Old 07-02-2012, 03:23 PM
narwalrus
My Feedback: (4)

I remember looking at these a while ago and seeing the 4WD "Coming Soon" I wasn't aware they were available. I had considered a Mini-Z awd but it was a bit too expensive. I had a 2WD MR-01 and a Losi Micro Rally and kind of wanted to combine the two. I might get one sometime...

Edit: and they have a Mini-Z buggy copy too! Looks like fun..

Old 12-12-2012, 09:04 PM
lbands

I am in love with these AWD version of firelap, I practiced doing some drifting after seeing this video on drift race http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAHv_ndGS8o
I decided to bring it to California and try selling these cars on ebay.
Try look for it under seller:"LBANDS" on ebay