Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > 1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars
Reload this Page >

Short Course what? Mini-T to SC conversion project

Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

Short Course what? Mini-T to SC conversion project

Old 04-09-2010, 06:45 AM
Sancho1388

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Short Course what? Mini-T to SC conversion project

Hey guys/gals

The Story :

This project began as a end to my chassis snapping days. before I started I've been through 3 Chassis's (4 if you include the one my little brother stomped on) and 4 bulk heads. i got really tired of it. so i started to design an aluminum chassis. since no one makes one for the Mini T i decided id make one. at first i was just gonna make a plain jane flat chassis copy. then i want alittle longer wheel base so i matched the Desert Truckmeasurements. after looking the the web I came acrossMcCallister bodies and i liked the Camaro late model body. so i made the wheel base the same as the late model and then blah blah blah blah blah. long story short i ended up making the wheel base almost perfect for a 16th slash and when I mean almost i mean I'm 2mm off lol think i can live with 2mm. ok now who is up for some pics?

How it went down :

Thebeginningof the plan
at first i went brain storming for a couple hours boss helped alot. hes been in RC for longer then i've been alive

this is what we came up with

the tranny/shock tower mocked and "bolted in"

Same with the front suspension. i know its flat now but we are gonna fix that in a sec.

as you can see i couldnt wait to put wheels and tires on

lets see if i can bend this

BLING!!!!!!

Hey i can see my self!

steering wanted to fight us so we said screw it and redesigned its no biggy.

and the finished product wel allmost still waiting on my new wheels, tires and body

Old 04-09-2010, 09:46 AM
BuzzBomber
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Short Course what? Mini-T to SC conversion project

Looks good! It should be plenty rigid with the dual deck setup you used - kind of reminds me of the way my old Kyosho Ultima II was built.
Old 04-09-2010, 11:11 AM
Gex_61

A few companies make metal Mini-T chassis. You can also get a BRP chassis brace that will stop you from breaking any more of the stock chassis.

I don't think I would care for the extra weight or smaller turning radius. Those are the two main things I like about the Mini-T. Otherwise, nice work. It looks very professional.
Old 04-09-2010, 01:59 PM
mrmikey

Nice!!!

What tools did you use ? Its pretty perfect... And Shiny
Old 04-10-2010, 10:48 AM
DettaSCT
Banned

nice try, but the problem with projects such as yours it that inevitably aluminum bends or gets tweaked (twisted) even with that top brace, and you will have a hard time maintaining your frontend/rearend angles without some additional bracing.
people did similar mods when the mini't first came out, but they ended up with a spagetti car.
might have been better had you used a medium such as carbon fiber.
the other problem that you'll run into is that the mini-t sized wheels and tires will look puny and way undersized once you mount up the huge 1/16th slash body.

the alloy does look purty all polished up though.
Old 04-10-2010, 01:25 PM
Sancho1388

MrMikey:
Its a secret lol
Dette:
those wheels tires are not staying on. its getting slash tires and rims. as for bending the aluminum i dont se that being a problem. (aside from those "bumpers" ) short of nailing it with a hammer that chassis is stiff. we have done some "testing" and only scratched it. by testing i mean i lost control of the car and smacked a tree at full speed. it has a Fuze 9700.