Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

diff for mlst

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 08:57 PM
losi13

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default diff for mlst

I have just upgraded my mini lst to lipo and a brushless sytem. For all you out there who are having problems with your center diffs stripping, I may have the solution. I have stripped out 3 center diffs including 2 ball bearing ones that I bought. I have found a locking center diff that wont strip. Let me know if anyone is interested on where to buy one.
Old 06-22-2010, 10:33 PM
MountainMotor
My Feedback: (7)

Default RE: diff for mlst

I'm getting ready to replace the diffs in mine and have been looking for a good center diff.
Old 06-22-2010, 11:16 PM
Go-Zilla

ORIGINAL: MountainMotor

I'm getting ready to replace the diffs in mine and have been looking for a good center diff.
The losi ball diff from the MiniT is probably the best we could get out there.

Watch out for the locked center from HR. Whatever the torque didn't get absorbed got transfer to other weak spots. Few of us tried the locked diff then stripped that little bevel plastic gear between the center diff and the slipper's axel. Others have bend their dog bones because of that also. So be careful.
Old 06-23-2010, 08:36 AM
losi13

I have thought of that before I bought the locking diff. I was thinking that I can adjust the slipper clutch to reduce the torque on the plastic center piece in the diff. I am also able to made adjustments on my pc for the esc.
Old 06-23-2010, 08:40 AM
losi13

The locking diff gear is made by hot racing rc. You can find it there. Its make of cnc 6061 aluminum. I was able to find it on ebay for cheaper nib and free shipping.
Old 06-23-2010, 11:52 PM
MountainMotor
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: Go-Zilla

ORIGINAL: MountainMotor

The losi ball diff from the MiniT is probably the best we could get out there.

Watch out for the locked center from HR. Whatever the torque didn't get absorbed got transfer to other weak spots. Few of us tried the locked diff then stripped that little bevel plastic gear between the center diff and the slipper's axel. Others have bend their dog bones because of that also. So be careful.
What kind of power will the ball diffs handle? Good for brushed or can they handle brushless?
Old 06-24-2010, 01:47 PM
garry1970

I run a losi ball diff in the center and viscous on the front/rear with a mamba micro pro 6800 in 7.2v nimh and the only trouble I have was I snapped the set screw adjusting it... I've not had any failures yet.
Old 06-25-2010, 10:35 PM
gettnbetter

I snapped my Losi ball diff adjusting it too. I switched to the MIP and it's way better in that respect.
Old 06-25-2010, 11:46 PM
RepEvox

Just curious...is it worth buying the nice diffs and brushless combo (maybe some hopups)? I have a mini LST and it's pretty fun stock, but I'd like something with more power. Definitely going to try and get an e-revo VXL since I happen to like that size a bit more, but I don't really want to sell this off meantime. I hear a lot of people pointing out flaws and breaking diffs left and right which scares me. I haven't broken anything on mine yet, but one of the axles is slightly bent after crashing medium speed. The servos suck which is definitely something I want to change, but maybe you guys can recommend some good upgrades. Just the necessary parts, I don't want to spend $300 on blue anodized hopups, lol.
Old 06-27-2010, 02:28 PM
gettnbetter

The brushless e-revo is a great upgrade, similar size and a huge motor with superior suspension. For the money it's hard to beat.

A 5400 or 6800 Castle sidewinder brushless combo with the Losi viscious diffs work well as an upgrade, thats what I have. You'll need to change the gearing a bit. Definitely need a center diff too. The mini-t dual disc slipper is a good upgrade to prevent damage, the stock Mini-LST slipper doesn't work very well. A 7.4v Lipo or stock NiMh batteries don't rip apart the car with that combo.

You can also do the JR metal gear replacement mod to the stock Losi servos, search the forum for it. Tying the two steering arms together with pop-on type plastic ball sockets and metal ball studs helps make steering more solid too. I went with the Exotek steering upgrade and it's rock solid reliable but heavy, expensive and sloppy with all it's parts. I'd do the metal gear mod if I had to do it over again.

The Losi CVD's snapped on me more than once, the hole drilled in the axle for the wheel pin makes them weak for some reason. I'm running stock in the front now due to two broken CVD stub axles.
Old 06-27-2010, 03:39 PM
RepEvox

Thanks, exactly what I needed to see. Definitely possible to do while finding a VXL. There's a guy on youtube who recommended rock crawler wheels with dirt hawgs or something like that and he said it helped every flaw that the mini revo has. Weight, COG, handling, etc. Thanks again gettnbetter

EDIT: Yeah I just ran it today and it was about 85 out...the ESC started malfunctioning and twitching when it ran too hot so after I let it cool for 10 mins I could run it again. Both servos broke today too. I guess this would be a good time to upgrade the servos and other things while I'm at it...I'll upgrade a couple things and getting it to good working condition before I sell it. I can see more failures like this happening in the future