RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/1-16th-1-18th-mini-micro-rc-cars-235/)
-   -   Convert 1/24 or 1/25 plastic kit to RC (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/1-16th-1-18th-mini-micro-rc-cars-235/11591872-convert-1-24-1-25-plastic-kit-rc.html)

jeffpressley 12-21-2013 09:39 PM

Convert 1/24 or 1/25 plastic kit to RC

2 Attachment(s)
Has anyone ever made a kit to convert a 1/24 or 1/25 plastic monogram type kit to rc. I'm thinking about designing a kit to do just that if there's enough interest. It will be a belt drive pan chassis with custom aluminum wheels with real rubber tires. It would also have an adjustable wheel base and width. The motor as of now will be a 5 gram out runner and 2 cell lipo. I would offer different wheel and tire combinations that would look nice with different body styles. It would be a similar layout to my 1/12 scale (pictured). Or would it be better to design a 1/24 to run the lexan slot car chassis. They have a 4 inch wheel base.

collector1231 12-22-2013 08:05 PM

I've had ideas for one of those plastic models.
Steering; get one of the ones that have the moveable steering wheel and attach servo using some sort of mount.
Motor; Make a solid single axle in the back and melt (or something) a spur gear to the axle and make a motor mount, bolt it to the chassis and PROFIT!!!
Battery; Hollow out the engine compartment and use velcro.
ESC; Mount in passenger seat.

jeffpressley 12-22-2013 09:11 PM

When I build this car I will only use the body shell. It will be designed for performance with Pan car type chassis underneath. The chassis will flex indipendent of the body. This chassis flex will be your suspension (like a racing go cart).

phmaximus 12-23-2013 07:22 PM

Hummmm.... Its a tough market... U can get a 1/24 losi SCT or rally for about $100 as a RTR vehicle.
they are 4 wheel drive, working front and rear diffs, ball raced, slipper clutch. And fully adjustable oil filled shocks.

i just thinking the suspension is going to be a issue... Pan car style suspension only really works on perfect surfaces and something this small it would be not be that good on a typical onroad bash spot.

I personally think there might be more of a market for a 1/24 4x4 drift chassis. That u could build ur favourite 1/24 static model onto.
The suspension issues might not matter because most people currently drifting the losi micro rally car tend to run it on extremely smoothe surfaces.. Oh been a drifter u wouldn't nesouraly need a working diff or slipper... Oh oh and because drift cars a generally slow u might not have as many durability issues with the ABS bodies over the slot car lexan bodies...

what ever u do I'm sure it will be very cool

jeffpressley 12-27-2013 01:29 PM

Thanks I really appreciate the input. I design and build as a hobby so I would not be trying to compete with the big outfits such as losi anyway. I have always built stuff to fill the small niche markets. It never crossed my mind to build a 1/24 drift chassis but that is a great idea. I'm working on a 1/12 pan/drift chassis in my spare time now and the 1/24 would be very similar. I'm out of touch with what is going on in the micro drift area these days so how do you guys think people would respond to the 1/24 drift chassis and what would be a fair price. Remember these are not mass produced but are high quality made units. They would be sold with everything but receiver and transmitter.

GLMS 12-29-2013 06:46 PM

Hiya Jeff, I can say if the price was within reason it would be something I would be interested in. Being a model builder and adding RC to the mix would just increase the enjoyment factor. One of the biggest things I have run into in trying to do this exact thing is the cost of a readily available chassis. Not so much a RTR chassis but a kit. There was a company making some similar to the Mini-Z chassis but they were made of a clear plastic. I wanted to order some but at the time they were sold out and never seemed to come back in stock. They had a lot of options as far as adjusting the chassis to fit different bodies which was what I liked about them. Cost wise the rollers were in the $30.00 range and seemed reasonable to me. I have stayed away from the Mini-Z stuff purely because of the cost. I just can't spending that kind of money for something I just want to run in the house. No one around here in Michigan that I know runs anything this size so racing isnt even a thought.

mrbonez 01-02-2014 08:27 PM

sounds like a great idea to me . being a drift car,1/24th scale and basically custom made really seems appealing. add to that the different body and tire combinations i suspect you wouldn't be able to make them fast enough. please keep us updated on how the project is going.

scottcs114 01-01-2017 04:12 PM

RC kit from 1/24 models

Originally Posted by jeffpressley (Post 11690556)
Has anyone ever made a kit to convert a 1/24 or 1/25 plastic monogram type kit to rc. I'm thinking about designing a kit to do just that if there's enough interest. It will be a belt drive pan chassis with custom aluminum wheels with real rubber tires. It would also have an adjustable wheel base and width. The motor as of now will be a 5 gram out runner and 2 cell lipo. I would offer different wheel and tire combinations that would look nice with different body styles. It would be a similar layout to my 1/12 scale (pictured). Or would it be better to design a 1/24 to run the lexan slot car chassis. They have a 4 inch wheel base.

I know this is an old post but thought I'd ask, Did you ever build this kit? I was looking at a mini z and wondering if I could build one similar from 1/25 or 1/24 kits.

Scott

calvin33 01-01-2017 07:09 PM

Thanks for bumping this thread. Anyone know if this idea came true?

calvin33 01-01-2017 07:23 PM

Just had an idea....maybe converting a slot car chassis would be a way to go.

collector1231 01-02-2017 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by scottcs114 (Post 12291607)
I know this is an old post but thought I'd ask, Did you ever build this kit? I was looking at a mini z and wondering if I could build one similar from 1/25 or 1/24 kits.

Scott

Please do not bump threads if there are not unanswered questions or an active discussion. You'd be better off creating another thread as well.