RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/1-16th-1-18th-mini-micro-rc-cars-235/)
-   -   official mini quake thread (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/1-16th-1-18th-mini-micro-rc-cars-235/4689554-official-mini-quake-thread.html)

cookie monster 08-30-2006 11:52 AM

official mini quake thread

ok now i know that there are a lot of official threads but i couldnt find one for the duratrax mini quake. this is a thread to post your stories, set ups, or everything else about this mini truck.

im thinking about buying a used one off a guy in the rcu market. what am i going to need? its the rtr one. i know the battery sucks and i will probably be upgrading that when i get even more money. ive heard something about the output cups being weak. where are the parts that im going to need. are these it? http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXKPC2&P=7

rschoi_75 08-30-2006 12:14 PM

RE: official mini quake thread

Get the SE.

The rtr is not worth the money because you will most likeley end up changing out the receiver, esc, driveshafts, and gears anyways. You can get one brand new SE model for $125 shipped to you (Tower). CVD/s, balls diffs, and better electronics make this a whole new truck.

Oh yeah, and the outdrive kit that you linked only works with ball diffs. If you want metal outdrives for the stock gears, you will have to go to ebay or rcmart.com

cookie monster 08-30-2006 12:20 PM

im not into spending all that money on radio and motor and all that other stupid stuff. im more into just getting something to drive around my house and crash into my dogs. i dont mind the duratrax radio because i got kind used to it when i had my nitro evader. i still use that radio and receiver on my vintage wild willy. you said im probably gone to end up replacing gears and diffs. what gears and what kind of diffs does the mini quake have? i will probably end up locking out the rear diff after awhile.

Dale Gribble 08-30-2006 12:29 PM

ORIGINAL: pvt_pile
Oh yeah, and the outdrive kit that you linked only works with ball diffs. If you want metal outdrives for the stock gears, you will have to go to ebay or rcmart.com
You got that backwards. The metal outdrives will work with the stock diff gear assy, but you must have the metal CVD's. So to recap, the metal outdrives WILL work with the stock gears, but will NOT work with the stock plastic driveshafts.

I couldn't agree more on the SE though. If you want a Quake, the SE is the way to go for sure. I have had my MQ for about 1.5 years now, and I have had to bring it up to SE spec to be the most fun and reliable. I wouldn't buy a stock MQ again. The plastic outdrives in the stock MQ are junk. It is very time consuming to replace them, and I would only get 1-2 runs with them before they twisted and broke. So I had to get metal CVDs (SE standard). The diff gears can't take the load of high traction and lower gearing, so I had to get ball diffs (SE standard). Finally, guys report much better luck with the metal shock bodies not leaking (SE standard) then the plastic shock bodies. I had to dump the plastic shock bodies and go to RC-18T rear shocks all around.

I just put a bunch of cash into mine- GPM Al shock towers, Graphite knuckles, Mini LST shocks, DTX VR4 motor, 6 cell blind matched pack, GPM Al spur gear, ball diffs and more.

They are VERY VERY fun trucks. I have had an RC-18MT, Mini T, Mini LST and the Mini Quake, and this is the one I decided to keep based on quite a few factors.

Dale Gribble 08-30-2006 12:33 PM

ORIGINAL: cookie monster

im not into spending all that money on radio and motor and all that other stupid stuff. im more into just getting something to drive around my house and crash into my dogs. i dont mind the duratrax radio because i got kind used to it when i had my nitro evader. i still use that radio and receiver on my vintage wild willy. you said im probably gone to end up replacing gears and diffs. what gears and what kind of diffs does the mini quake have? i will probably end up locking out the rear diff after awhile.
You can probably buy an RTR SE on Ebay if you keep your eyes open for one. If you plan on keeping the truck, I can only warn you that the SE is the way to go, or you will have it to SE spec by the end of the first year anyways. The MQ has a simple 4 gear spider diff assy. Don't even think about locking the rear diff without upgrading to metal CVDs at least. Those outdrives won't stand a chance.

Anyone that has had a Mini Quake will tell you to go ahead and get the SE, but hey, what do we know?

-Inverted- 08-30-2006 01:15 PM

and crash into my dogs.
What......

cookie monster 08-30-2006 02:49 PM

i have 2 chinese shar-peis (they are those wrinkly dogs) and they hate my rc cars. i have a monster gt and when they here that thing fire up they get inside or they hide somewhere. when i fixed up my moms old wild willy i could chase my dogs around more than with a nitro. the only probablem with a wild willy is that they are pretty uncontrollable. dont get me wrong im a good driver i just like picking on my dogs.

whats wrong with the 4 gear assembly. i find them so much better than a ball diff. only because they i can tune them easier. i couldnt get the ball diff on my evader fixed so when i took the diff appart on my mgt i was so happy i didnt have to worry about adjusting a screw.

when i was looking at pics of the mq i thought that the rtr's allready have aluminum shocks. am i wrong about that or did dtx just make blue shock bodies?

sorry about all this i just want to make sure this truck is not to bad. the reason im buying one used is because the new se ones are to much for me. im 16 and i work at a car wash that doesnt pay much.

BXMaxx 08-30-2006 03:38 PM

The mini quake isn't a bad truck at all i had mine since the came out it was the first one my lhs got. but i do also agree on getting the se because i have been stripping the gears in the diffs but not that much. the quake is strong i me and my cousin both have them and we will go full speed into stuff and they wont break i noticed though the only time they broke alot was when we played in 15 degrees if u keep it in 50 and up u wont break much. I do have a vid of me driving and crashing just having fun with the quake but its on my other comp which isnt connected. i will try to post them when it gets connected. i would get the quake though if you get a gp 1100 it will last you about a half and hour mine did with 19-40 gears and it was fast.

cookie monster 08-30-2006 04:53 PM

how about a mamba-fied mini quake? fast or not? im going to but the SE version with a new mamba motor. i hope it works out and i win this auction.

-Inverted- 08-30-2006 04:56 PM

The mamba isn't a good choice for the mini quake.

cookie monster 08-30-2006 04:58 PM

whys that? is it to fast, to strong or just to much for everything? if i dont like it i can probably just sell it and get some money for a bettery motor.

Dale Gribble 08-30-2006 05:04 PM

The Mamba 25 ESC would be ok with the right motor for the MQ, but guys had a large problem with 'cogging' installing the Mamba motors in the MQ. The MQ has a 380 size motor. The Mamba offerings are 300/370 size cans. The larger armateur and motor of the 380 give good low end and help the MQ get going. I THINK the MQ would run with a Mamba setup IF geared properly, but would otherwise cog and be a dog to get going. I would not get a mamba only MQ, especially if you are inexperienced.

Ball diffs are far superior to gear diffs for tuning on Electric cars/trucks. These little trucks don't have sealed diffs for modding with gear oils, so there is really no way to tune them. Unsealed gear diffs can really only be tuned 2 ways- locked or open. If you put diff oil in an MQ diff, you will just have a mess on your hands.

-Inverted- 08-30-2006 05:13 PM

whys that? is it to fast, to strong or just to much for everything? if i dont like it i can probably just sell it and get some money for a bettery motor.
Because of the can size and the shaft size, Id reccomend the Warp4 or the Hyperion.

cookie monster 08-30-2006 05:17 PM

the guy said that the motor is new in box. so i might just put that right back on ebay or try to sell it to my lhs. i just want a cool little mini that i can drive around my house. hopefully i can get that one off ebay or maybe wait a bit if i dont win it.

stewtheman 08-30-2006 10:30 PM

Hey, hey! It's good to see an official MQ thread! I love this truck! I have both the RTR and the SE and am very pleased with both of them. I bought them at the same time and got the RTR for my wife, though I'm pretty sure I've driven it 95% of the time. Anyhow, about the whole RTR/SE debate, I think they're both very well made. I haven't had any problems with the outdrives twisting or breaking but I heard a little while ago that Duratrax upgraded the orignal design. I'm definitely not easy on this truck so I'm pretty sure they beefed them up. My SE has a 14T 540 motor in it and is quite fast. The only downside is the run time. I get about 10 minutes with my 2000mAh 7.4V LiPo's compared to an eternity with the RTR.

As much as I like it, I have been having some radio trouble lately with the RTR. Even at pretty close range it has been acting up. I read that the ESC and Rx wires should be separated and I've done that, but it still is having some issues even with fresh batteries. Any suggestions? My friend also fried the stock ESC a couple months ago after landing in a puddle of water but Duratrax replaced it no questions asked. I was very impressed with their service.

cookie monster 08-31-2006 08:12 AM

with this truck do you have to send the parts back when they break? i know with the evader you have to send back the broke parts then they send you out new ones. that sometimes can get allmost as expensive as just buying new parts. or do you just give dtx a call and they send you some new parts?

-Inverted- 08-31-2006 09:26 AM

You have to send them back.

Dale Gribble 08-31-2006 09:49 AM

Keep in mind that the stress tech is only 1 year from date of purchase with a valid receipt. If you buy a used on off of Ebay, chances are they either won't have the receipt or the truck will be over 1 year out of the box.

stewtheman 08-31-2006 10:04 AM

I've never tried to use the parts replacement guarantee with my MQ's because the price to replace them is so small and I'm so impatient that I don't want to be without my truck while I wait on my parts to come. I am saving the broken parts that I have and maybe I'll send them all in together sometime.

-Inverted- 08-31-2006 10:19 AM

Hmm, the more I read this thread the more I want a mini quake....It would probably be a while though because I doubt somebody would buy my mini-lst. It doesnt seem like people are buying them any more.

rusty savage 08-31-2006 11:49 AM

i love my quake too! with a lil lovin these little guys can haul!

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h2...07837_ORIG.jpg

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h2...07821_ORIG.jpg

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h2...savage/222.jpg

-Inverted- 08-31-2006 11:52 AM

How do you like the Hyperion?

rusty savage 08-31-2006 12:23 PM

i love it but you deff need a fan. im running it 19/45 and get about 15 min out of a beaten gp 1100 pack

Mitchell91 08-31-2006 12:40 PM

this makes me want a mq now... :)

Dale Gribble 08-31-2006 02:30 PM

Mini Quakes are pimp... I would post pics of mine, but it's going through a revamp right now so I will wait until I get it back together first.

Pros-
+ For a Duratrax product, they have AWESOME aftermarket support
+ Larger size motor - 380 is a great motor size for 1/18; I never felt the 300/370 can's had enough low end to get the trucks going
+ Upgradeable to a 540 size motor with just a mount and ESC; Can you say Horsepower to weight?
+ Durable; All I really break are upper a-arms and knuckles, which is a cheap and easy fix
+ Vendetta has brought a few new parts that adapt well to the MQ- I am very glad I can get Hex adapters for the Vendetta now and
adapt TC wheels to my truck without 2 sets of adapters
+ Standard size steering servo- This is a huge + to me; Even a LOW end standard servo works super well on this truck