RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/1-16th-1-18th-mini-micro-rc-cars-235/)
-   -   Let's Talk About The SportWerks RECOIL!!! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/1-16th-1-18th-mini-micro-rc-cars-235/5543091-lets-talk-about-sportwerks-recoil.html)

fasterrcs 08-20-2008 04:14 PM

RE: Let's Talk About The SportWerks RECOIL!!!

i got a recoil right when it came out. i ran it once with the stock electronics and then put a mamba 8000k and 11.1 lipo and shortly after tried my 9200. the one thing i notice right away was you had to bolt the pinion on the shaft almost at the tip witch worried me a little. also the pitch of the spur was uncompadable with the pinion out on my 18t which ware out the spur quickly. and no one at horrizon hobby could tell me which pitch it was. also i felt it need a larger spur then they made and smaller pinion to run the mamba with over heating the motor. so into the mod shop it went. first i wanted to move the spur in front of the rear bulkhead which took some doing and locked so it would be closer to the motor which work out well using a 60 spur from a mini t. but still had diff problems till the ball diff came out. then i hated the motor mount so i cut a alloy plate and used a 18t motor mount in to make adjusting the motor easy. and since then it has been my most reliable car

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/m...5zx/baiy-1.jpg

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/m...135zx/baji.jpg

Metallover 08-20-2008 08:08 PM

haha What do you gear your mambas? I geared my Neu 20/58... I could gear up motor wise but the esc was struggling. I also could have run 3s...

fasterrcs 08-20-2008 08:26 PM

i gear it 12-60 tried a 15 and it was real fast but got a little hot of me, i clock it at 57 with 12-60 with a 3 cell lipo which if fast enough for me

Metallover 08-20-2008 08:37 PM

At 20/45 I saw speeds of about 45mph with room to gear much higher and I could have gone to 3s lipo.. That would have been insaine.

gbasile77 08-22-2008 04:41 PM

Hi, Are the mamba motors with the 'micro pro combos' the same 370 size as the standard motor?

Where can I find a heatsink/fan suitable for this motor?

Seems they can run a little hot in the recoil.

t9dragon 08-22-2008 05:47 PM

ORIGINAL: gbasile77

Hi, Are the mamba motors with the 'micro pro combos' the same 370 size as the standard motor?

Where can I find a heatsink/fan suitable for this motor?

Seems they can run a little hot in the recoil.

They are the same motors that came with the Mamba 25 esc.

Try ebay or www.thetoyz.com

What do you classify as hot?

Metallover 08-22-2008 06:31 PM

The mamba motors are 20mm in diameter. You will need a heatsink practically made for the mamba motors. like t9 said, you can get them at thetoyz and I think they are at bishop power products too.

gbasile77 08-23-2008 06:51 AM

who makes the ammo motor? can't find any details about it. is it sensored or sensorless?

Metallover 08-23-2008 09:25 AM

who makes the ammo motor? can't find any details about it. is it sensored or sensorless?
The ammo is made by great planes. You can find it on towerhobbies. It is sensorless.

fasterrcs 08-23-2008 02:40 PM

mamba works good in a recoil if you run a lower gearing . the one thing that people don't realizes if they do not own one is with the body off it the same size as a 18t if you don't count the fome front bumper. and it is also has less weight then a 18t . the larger diff in the recoil creates more rotating mass which makes the recoil a little taxing on the mamba just like a vendetta

gbasile77 08-23-2008 07:30 PM

Thanks for all the info guys. I am not trying to hit crazy 40mph speeds, just a lazy 30mph I would be happy with. More questions.....

1. The ammo looks pretty good, however I am concerned about the open design and the motor getting full of rubbish.
2. The ammo is a 3.2mm shaft, who would make a suitable pinion? Recoil is mod 0.5 right?
3. Which esc would be suitable for the ammo?
4. Which kv ammo would be suitable, I read somewhere that somebody with the 3900kv hits over 40mph which would probably be too much for me.
5. If I opt for the simple mamba motor option, which kv would be best to avoid burning up? Also regarding gearing for the mamba, would I be gearing up or down from the stock gearing?

supafastsupra2 08-23-2008 09:00 PM

Thanks for all the info guys. I am not trying to hit crazy 40mph speeds, just a lazy 30mph I would be happy with. More questions.....

1. The ammo looks pretty good, however I am concerned about the open design and the motor getting full of rubbish.
2. The ammo is a 3.2mm shaft, who would make a suitable pinion? Recoil is mod 0.5 right?
3. Which esc would be suitable for the ammo?
4. Which kv ammo would be suitable, I read somewhere that somebody with the 3900kv hits over 40mph which would probably be too much for me.
5. If I opt for the simple mamba motor option, which kv would be best to avoid burning up? Also regarding gearing for the mamba, would I be gearing up or down from the stock gearing?
The ammo 5100 runs great in the recoil. On 3s I'm hitting 68mph and 4s I'm hitting 80, with room for more gearing. The 3900 will probably be better for your purposes, along with a pinion gear in the 25-30tooth range. Also, i recommend a 40amp or more speed control for this motor

Metallover 08-24-2008 12:02 AM

I think no fast is too fast. You can always take it easy on the throttle and then have the piece of mind knowing you have as much extra as you need. You can cover the holes with electrical tape. That is what I do with my Neus.

gbasile77 08-24-2008 05:33 AM

I guess those sorts of speeds are good if you wanna take youtube videos going up and down the street at light-speed, but I want to be able to drive it on the track and not spend $$$ fixing it all the time.
Even on a fast and flowing track that is some serious speed.

With the ammo 3900, I need a 40A esc? That sounds pretty serious, it rules out the mamba micro pro and the quark 33a pro. What is left then, a 1/10 esc?

What do you do for pinions for the ammo; I couldn't find any 3.2mm mod .5 pinions anywhere.

gbasile77 08-24-2008 06:08 AM

supafastsupra2 - i just read your post again; 25-30T pinion. Isn't that waaaay big? Isn't the stock one just 12T. Is that coz the ammo has heaps of torque?

Seriously then, the ammo 3900kv running reasonable 2s lipo (20c rating) geared as say 20T pinion and the smaller option spur..... what sort of top-speed and acceleration are we talking here?

I am aiming for about 35mph with good bottom-end and nice cool temps.

supafastsupra2 08-24-2008 11:49 AM

supafastsupra2 - i just read your post again; 25-30T pinion. Isn't that waaaay big? Isn't the stock one just 12T. Is that coz the ammo has heaps of torque?

Seriously then, the ammo 3900kv running reasonable 2s lipo (20c rating) geared as say 20T pinion and the smaller option spur..... what sort of top-speed and acceleration are we talking here?

I am aiming for about 35mph with good bottom-end and nice cool temps.
Well i'm running a mamba max Lol. But the MMP may be able to handle it since the FETs on that are rated @ 35A continuous. Reason i suggested a 40+ amp speedo was for the 5100, which will draw more amps.

The Ammo 3900 on 20-25tooth will be good for the track i think. It will take some trial and error to find the right gearing for your track.

This motor has a lot of power, but it does run hot. I suggest you get a heat sink for it to keep it happy.

I'm using RRP 48pitch gears with no complaints, but in the future i will make a 48pitch spur gear for more efficiency, and most important for me, SPEED. :)

Metallover 08-24-2008 05:10 PM

For you I would get the 3900 with the 1/10th sidewinder. The Sidewinder is about the same price as the mamba micro pro and it will be overkill for the esc. Make sure you don't want to go all the way and get a mamba max if you want to use it in some serious 10th scale. The 3900 will have gobs of torque. I wouldn't go to 25-30, but I'd probably go about 16-25. You could also get the 5100, don't rule that one out. That's what I would personally get.

gbasile77 08-24-2008 05:44 PM

thanks for the information guys.

You were reading my mind Metallover regarding the esc, the 1/10 sidewinder is a great idea. I already got a MM for my 1/10, but the sidewinder would be an excellent esc and as you say doesn't cost much more than a micro pro.

5100kv you reckon........ you guys are talking me into building another monster. :)

gbasile77 08-24-2008 05:46 PM

sorry for the double post (again).

So you say 48P pinions work ok? They don't damage the spur?? That would be great news as I have heaps of 48P pinions already I could play with ranging from 11T up to 25T

Metallover 08-24-2008 05:57 PM

I used the pinions from the Robinson Racing 6 pack odd and in some occasions I used a rc18t pinion. They both worked for me.

You can use your mamba max in both cars if you don't plan on running them at the same time. I use this velcro stuff from radio shack on the rxs and my esc becase I only have one rx and will only have one esc.

If you want a monster, you could try to find a used Neu. Something like an 1105/1.5y would be killer.[>:]

gbasile77 08-25-2008 11:05 PM

Thanks for all your information guys. I have bitten the bullet and started picking up some parts for the power upgrades.

Motor:
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=4200

Price was good and seems to get some good reviews around, specs are similar to the ammo so hopefully it is half decent.

For esc, I will take the advice and go for a 1/10 mamba - either MM or sidewinder, probably sidewinder.

Should be fun.

Metallover 08-25-2008 11:12 PM

Tell us how it turns out. Looks promising, but you are never 100% sure with hobby city. I've had good luck with them, but some people are really disappointed. Should work out great.

gbasile77 08-25-2008 11:49 PM

yeah, i agree it might be a bit hit-and-miss. The way I see it the motor represents the smallest investment compared to esc, batteries etc. If it doesn't work out I can swap-out the motor for something better.

t9dragon 08-26-2008 12:35 AM

Just thought I would post a pic of my Recoils..........................

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k2...l/DSC05118.jpg

Metallover 08-26-2008 09:23 AM

Its sad because you have four recoils and they all have the same body... Nice collection.