RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/1-16th-1-18th-mini-micro-rc-cars-235/)
-   -   OFFICIAL MINI E-REVO THREAD!!! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/1-16th-1-18th-mini-micro-rc-cars-235/8846989-official-mini-e-revo-thread.html)

El Chupacabura 06-30-2009 11:50 PM

RE: OFFICIAL MINI E-REVO THREAD!!!

Ok guys after scouring San Diego for this truck i finally have it and wow... this thing is scary to drive [X(]. I took it out front earlier today to try it out, went at about 3/4 throttle down my driveway and into the street and turned around headed back towards me and noticed the the front left of the car was sagging really bad. So I took off the body and lo and behold the shock body had somehow unscrewed itself from the cap and there was shock oil everywhere, needless to say i wasn't too happy. I hadn't done anything except drive it down my driveway and onto my street, which is not a perfectly smooth transition but i would say the the street meets the driveway at about a 20 degree angle. So whatever... filled up the shock with some more oil put it back together went back out to run it and the same damn thing happened again. Anyone else have this problem ? I am thinking that maybe the threads on the shock body are messed up . Suggestions, help ?

Aloha Flyer 06-30-2009 11:50 PM

"Bet a pro Or you beat a pro! "

Duh... Oops! where's the joke?:eek:

Isn't EDIT a wonderful thing!

Luvs2Bash 07-01-2009 02:05 AM

ORIGINAL: El Chupacabura

Ok guys after scouring San Diego for this truck i finally have it and wow... this thing is scary to drive [X(]. I took it out front earlier today to try it out, went at about 3/4 throttle down my driveway and into the street and turned around headed back towards me and noticed the the front left of the car was sagging really bad. So I took off the body and lo and behold the shock body had somehow unscrewed itself from the cap and there was shock oil everywhere, needless to say i wasn't too happy. I hadn't done anything except drive it down my driveway and onto my street, which is not a perfectly smooth transition but i would say the the street meets the driveway at about a 20 degree angle. So whatever... filled up the shock with some more oil put it back together went back out to run it and the same damn thing happened again. Anyone else have this problem ? I am thinking that maybe the threads on the shock body are messed up . Suggestions, help ?
Welcome to stock traxxas shock caps. I had this problem all the time with my rusty. You will need to get either the metal shocks or just the metal shock caps. Don't know of the availability right now. Maybe traxxas will replace it for you... talk to your hobby shop that you bought it from as well, they might help you out.

cobra26 07-01-2009 07:02 AM

ORIGINAL: Aloha Flyer

ORIGINAL: cobra26

ORIGINAL: dacaur

Wow... whoever said this thing needs a computer radio is definatly right.... Its seriously not controllalble even with the stock pack (at least, with a heavy trigger finger anyway :D).... I cant imagine how you guys are driving with 3 cells or 2 nimh packs... insain.... Time to install my dx3s....:D

I have to differ with you on the radio. Both my son and I got 1/16th E-Revos. He has total control and I am all over the place with mine. We switched vehicles for a few minutes because I felt my radio was inadequate and I wanted him to try it out. He drove mine as well as he drove his, with perfect control. On the other hand, I was just as ''squirrely'' with his as I had been with mine. Conclusion: it is the driver. Quite simply, his reflexes and ability to control are much better than mine. It hurts to admit it, but he is a much better driver than I am. There really is nothing wrong with our supplied radios. A computer radio may help the less accomplished driver with expo, but a good driver will make the Traxxas radio appear superior.

No need to bash computer radios.....it makes the poor driver better when programmed properly and the good driver GREAT. How many great RC circuit drivers do you see with a Traxxas TQ?
MY conclusion: You BOTH need computer radios...Why? YOU need to program yours more effective and YOUR SON needs to hone his talents and go to the next level since he can control that truck with a TQ :)

Chill out. I'm NOT bashing computer radios in any way, I was simply stating empirical information.

For those complaining of having a 30' range with the Traxxas TQ, something is definitely wrong. I have three Traxxas vehicles with TQ radios and my son has two. Our range is as far as it is comfortable to still see the car/truck which is easily 200-300+ feet. I'm not saying that's the range of the radio, it is simply the comfortable driving range that allows us to still see the vehicles.

mycarisaser 07-01-2009 07:35 AM

I got about 150ft before I started getting any glitching with the tq. I have since put mu futaba 2.4 in there and now I can drive it further than you can see it without worries. I didnt do any programing to it to speed up or slow down anything. So it runs like the stock TQ but with better range

pnut 07-01-2009 09:19 AM

Is there no number 3 frequency or no black silver combos?

sunco1 07-01-2009 09:41 AM

ORIGINAL: Luvs2Bash

ORIGINAL: El Chupacabura

Welcome to stock traxxas shock caps. I had this problem all the time with my rusty. You will need to get either the metal shocks or just the metal shock caps. Don't know of the availability right now. Maybe traxxas will replace it for you... talk to your hobby shop that you bought it from as well, they might help you out.

Yeah definately call traxxas. If they have any in stock im sure they will send you a pair of caps. But dont just get metal caps. Get the gtr shocks to

MuggyDude 07-01-2009 09:45 AM

I have a 75 mhz FM radio and it's range is 100ft. In the same place with my AM TQ radio I get 300 ft range. There most likely is a lot of AM interference in your area, because I also have an AM 71 mhz radio with 300+ ft range. I totally agree that a computer radio would be a great upgrade for these trucks, but a radio does not make the driver. Ever think of not turning the wheel on the transmitter all the way?

-J- 07-01-2009 09:50 AM

ORIGINAL: dacaur

ORIGINAL: -J-

How are you guys cleaning your trucks? Would it be okay just spraying it down with the hose with the electronics still installed? If I did spray it down with the hose, what would I need to re-lube to keep everything smooth? Is it possible to get sand/dust into your shocks?
DONT spray it. You can let the hose run over it, but don't use a nozzle or your thumb to increase pressure... (So many questions can be answered if you just RTFM, This one is on page 19)

ORIGINAL: page 19 in the manual

After Running Your Vehicle in Wet Conditions
1. Drain the tires by spinning the tires at full throttle to “sling” the water
out. An easy way to do this is to remove the body and set the truck
upside down on a flat surface. Apply full throttle so the tires spin and
throw the excess water out of the holes you cut into the tires.
2. Remove the battery.
3. Rinse excess dirt and mud off the truck with low-pressure water, such
as from a garden hose. Do NOT use pressure washer or other high pressure
water. Avoid directing water into the bearings, transmission,
differentials, etc.
4. Blow off the truck with compressed air (optional, but recommended).
Wear safety glasses when using compressed air.
5. Remove the wheels from the truck
6. Spray all the bearings, drivetrain, and fasteners with WD-40® or similar
water displacing light oil

I appreciate the help, but not the attitude. I had read the manual when I posted my question, and I knew not to 'spray' it off with any pressure. Guess I just worded that part of my question wrong. I just wanted to see if anyone had com up with an easier or better way of cleaning their trucks than what's described in the manual.

strangeperson 07-01-2009 02:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
:([:@][:@]:([&o][:@]:([:@][X(][:@][>:][:@]:(

peelin_out 07-01-2009 02:56 PM

your truck looks like Bishop from Aliens when the queen alien ripped him in two. :p

Aloha Flyer 07-01-2009 03:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: fox23

anyone find a heat sink that fits the motor yet? im also interested in seeing someone swap in a castle motor/esc...
Please kind sirs.... I show these for your comments and approval! TADA
A heatsink and fan
Homemade wheelie bar

KRO 07-01-2009 03:17 PM

Nice , was the heatsink modded by you or did it come with the fan mounted already ?

Got a link too it ?

mycarisaser 07-01-2009 03:19 PM

How well does the heat sink /fan work? I am in need of one. Also where did you get it? Thanks

Aloha Flyer 07-01-2009 03:38 PM

ORIGINAL: KRO

Nice , was the heatsink modded by you or did it come with the fan mounted already ?

Got a link too it ?

ORIGINAL: mycarisaser

How well does the heat sink /fan work? I am in need of one. Also where did you get it? Thanks
Heatsink: www.yeahracing.com Yeah Racing 380 Motor Heatsink with Fan (Gunmetal) YA-0133GM ~$5.50
For purchase try:
http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/advanc...ywords=ya-0133

Charging my batts now to give it a go......will get back

Aloha Flyer 07-01-2009 04:18 PM

ORIGINAL: mycarisaser

Was excited to try both Heatsink and wheelie bar. My observations:
1. DON'T BE EXCITED TO TRY BOTH HEATSINK AND WHEELIE BAR since you will forget to put on the body and defeat the purpose.
2. Although I thought I had a tight friction fit, apply thermal tape. Flip overs will pop-off the heatsink and "roadrash" the fan. The fan was destroyed after the 2nd flip.
3. Although I was able to ride a wheelie as far as 15ft, If you don't get it just right you'll still be on your wing or flipped over. The wheeliebar needs to extend out further for leverage to be effective.

Conclusion: After 5min of driving without the body, the motor was only warm to the touch in 80F weather. Apply thermal tape to prevent detachment. Keep body on to offer some protection to the fan.TELL SOMEONE TO MAKE A ROLLOVER CAGE FOR THIS BAD BOY!

Will install my extra HS & F and do a better test. BTW: I just ordered 2 more from that Ebay vendor. He has only 3 more left!

fadaching 07-01-2009 04:43 PM

can i use the stock gears with a 2 cell lipo?

Aloha Flyer 07-01-2009 04:55 PM

ORIGINAL: fadaching

I would......can you go any slower?[sm=wink_smile.gif]

MuggyDude 07-01-2009 05:22 PM

Why is the heatsink for 540 motors? Where can I get thermal tape?:(

Aloha Flyer 07-01-2009 06:15 PM

ORIGINAL: MuggyDude

Why is the heatsink for 540 motors? Where can I get thermal tape?:(
WOW! I am sorry, the Ebay link was a WRONG LINK!. Was busy cancelling my Ebay order. Vendor is out of stock. *CORRECTED MY ORIGINAL/PREVIOUS POST*
Here's what you want:
For more basic info:
http://www.yeahracing.com/catalog/ad...cad7095e478728

For just the heatsink= Model# YA-0132GM
For the Heatsink & Fan= Model# YA-0133GM

For purchase try:
I may give them a try!
PLEASE SUGGEST US LINK IF YOU GUYS FIND ONE.
Thanks

mycarisaser 07-01-2009 06:23 PM

ORIGINAL: fadaching

I am down one tooth(27thooth pinion) and still have heat issues. I can run for about 18 to 20 mins and the motor get to 175°f and the esc get to about 160°F. I have cut a hole in the windsheild for beter air flow. If you plan to stay with the stock gearing keep an eye on the temps

PrjctStrtFrce 07-01-2009 06:35 PM

So adding the heatsink/fan would allow us to use the original gearing that should be used with one battery, but with TWO batteries? Would it cool efficiently? The manual states to not exceed 200 degrees, so I would assume that 175 is still ok, right?

Aloha Flyer 07-01-2009 06:49 PM

"For purchase try:
I may give them a try!
PLEASE SUGGEST US LINK IF YOU GUYS FIND ONE.
Thanks "

Just purchased Two 380 Heatsink & Fan from RcMart.comAnyone dealt with RcMart before? Any good?
BTW: 10 left in all colors

MuggyDude 07-01-2009 06:52 PM

I just purchased 1 in gun metal. We'll see.

dacaur 07-01-2009 09:10 PM

ORIGINAL: Aloha Flyer

ORIGINAL: fox23

anyone find a heat sink that fits the motor yet? im also interested in seeing someone swap in a castle motor/esc...
Please kind sirs.... I show these for your comments and approval! TADA
A heatsink and fan
Homemade wheelie bar
I like the wheelie bar, but I think you need to lower it... being that high i bet the truck still just flips right over... doesnt need to be longer, just closer to the ground...