RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/1-16th-1-18th-mini-micro-rc-cars-235/)
-   -   OFFICIAL MINI E-REVO THREAD!!! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/1-16th-1-18th-mini-micro-rc-cars-235/8846989-official-mini-e-revo-thread.html)

peelin_out 07-03-2009 11:46 AM

RE: OFFICIAL MINI E-REVO THREAD!!!

probably approaching 40mph dep on your gearing..

Aloha Flyer 07-03-2009 12:47 PM

ORIGINAL: fox23

has anyone had any problems running spektrum DSM on their e revo? mine will just randomly loose signal for like 5 seconds sometimes. the receiver is brand new and the transmitter works on all my other trucks fine.
Brand New......Randomly loose signal.......5sec sometimes.
Those 3 phrases don't go well together!
I would pull one of the receivers from your other trucks and use it as a test bed. If the old receiver works fine in your Revo VXL, then you have a defective spektrum receiver. If it still does not work then it is some issue On-board the VXL ie voltage drop, receiver and ESC. Did you see any of these symptoms with the old receiver?

fox23 07-03-2009 12:47 PM

what are the advantages of running that castle speed control? would the micro pro be better?

fox23 07-03-2009 12:49 PM

no, when i had the traxxas transmitter system in the truck i had no issues with anything on the truck.

Luvs2Bash 07-03-2009 01:18 PM

what are the advantages of running that castle speed control? would the micro pro be better?
Aren't they programmable? I would think that would be a good reason.

MuggyDude 07-03-2009 02:01 PM

I would use the 1/10 scale sidewinder, not 1/18. To many amps for the little one.

Aloha Flyer 07-03-2009 02:11 PM

no, when i had the traxxas transmitter system in the truck i had no issues with anything on the truck.
Good!
Try my TEST swap and let me know what you find;)

Luvs2Bash Date 7/3/2009 7:18 PM

quote:

Aren't they programmable? I would think that would be a good reason.
fox23 Date 7/3/2009 6:49 PM
fox23 Date 7/3/2009 6:47 PM
KRO's Castle Sidewinder micro ESC thermals in 8-10min on 3S. I don't see that with the Traxxas ESC. Is the Castle Sidewinder micro the right ESC for this size BL Motor?
Outside of trying to lower the timing on the Castle to run cooler, does Castle need to make an ESC to serve motors between 540 and 20mm in size? Do we need a Castle ESC
that sits between the Sidewinder and Mamba Max?[X(]

Aloha Flyer 07-03-2009 02:32 PM

ORIGINAL: MuggyDude

I would use the 1/10 scale sidewinder, not 1/18. To many amps for the little one.
Wow, I forgot about that! The Castle Sidewinder micro ESC max's at about 25Amps, while this BL motors Amp draws in the mid 30's.
I agree with the 1/10th Sidewinder. It's hard to get data on that ESC and most of the others because of the statement "More than you can handle" all over the website.
That was cute to say when BL motors first came out, but it gets old real quick with all the competition out there and as BL systems become stock equipment in our vehicles![:@]

peelin_out 07-03-2009 03:11 PM

the vxl esc seems ok to me... it's real basic but seems to work fine for general driving.. the radio I think is the weakest point on these new trucks .. I am for sure going to need to pick up another RS310 or RS300 for the slash..

dacaur 07-03-2009 03:21 PM

I use a spektrum dx3s and for a reciver I'm using the losi DSM that cam with my mini monster baja. No problems at all so far, but I am using two stock packs in parallel... ill try it out with just one and let you know what happens...

micro guy 07-03-2009 04:19 PM

Yes! Finally i am going to pick mine up. I am exited :D! Oh i almost forgot Happy 4th Of July everyone!

Aloha Flyer 07-03-2009 04:57 PM

ORIGINAL: peelin_out

the vxl esc seems ok to me... it's real basic but seems to work fine for general driving.. the radio I think is the weakest point on these new trucks .. I am for sure going to need to pick up another RS310 or RS300 for the slash..
Agreed!:D
And Happy 4th!

peelin_out 07-03-2009 05:02 PM

Yeah, Happy 4th everyone!! ...er, everyone in the US. heh.. I'm going to see the Giants play the Astros tomorrow. should be fun! hope everyone has a safe and happy holiday weekend!

rcbasher_88 07-03-2009 05:04 PM

if i used 2 2s lipos i need to switch to the pinion that it came with right?

peelin_out 07-03-2009 05:37 PM

Yes - I would for sure... unless you are just doing drag strip speed runs...

dacaur 07-03-2009 06:30 PM

ORIGINAL: rcbasher_88

if i used 2 2s lipos i need to switch to the pinion that it came with right?
depends on how you hook them up. If you run them in series, yes you need the smaller pinion. If you run them in parellel, then you dont, but you need to keep an eye on motor/esc temps, depending on how you drive you may need a smaller pinion, but only 1 or 2 teeth...

jaejw1 07-03-2009 08:09 PM

ORIGINAL: Thomas P

with a 2s 1800 FLightmax it feels real good. using Goosebumps from jconcepts green compound 4wd fronts on Kyo rims. i hope i can take it to the local track soon

Some dust from days testing..

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...6/DSC_0043.jpg
looks like it is time for me to get one.. i have been waiting for someone to post pics of it with real racing tires...

and btw.. why is everyone trying to put a frekin band aid on this truck,,, just get a larger motor.. one that can handle the torque needed to push this monster.. had the same problm with the vendetta guys..

PrjctStrtFrce 07-03-2009 08:41 PM

^^^ bandaid?

So hooking anything up to the 3rd or 4th channel will just have it on at all times?

Just want to verify...the stock pinion that comes with the truck accompanied with 2 batteries would equal higher speeds than the included "speed gear," correct?

dacaur 07-03-2009 10:08 PM

PrjctStrtFrce - Yes, hooking anything up to the 3rd or 4th channel will just have it on at all times

And about the pinion, yes also, but it would overheat the motor and ESC in a hurry, the "speed gear" is actually a smaller pinion, which would be slower if run on the same voltage as the stock pinion. The reason for it is that at higher voltages with the stock pinion, the truck would be overgeared and would pull too many amps. Its not just like that with this truck, any brushless setup is like that. If you volt up a lot, you need to gear down to keep the amp draw in check.

jaejw1 - what bandaid are you talking about? The stock motor is all the truck needs and more. With ANY brushless setup you need to gear down when you double the voltage, it doesn't matter how big a motor you have...

fox23 07-03-2009 10:09 PM

well i swapped in a different receiver from one of my other trucks and it still cuts in and out. and this time i had it in my hand and it started going half throttle when i wasnt even touching the remote. im pretty puzzled. i put the traxxas radio system back in and everything works fine again. except it keeps thermaling on me with the 2 stock nimhs in series with the pinion that traxxas recomends ???

dacaur 07-03-2009 10:09 PM

well i swapped in a different receiver from one of my other trucks and it still cuts in and out. and this time i had it in my hand and it started going half throttle when i wasnt even touching the remote. im pretty puzzled. i put the traxxas radio system back in and everything works fine again. except it keeps thermaling on me with the 2 stock nimhs in series with the pinion that traxxas recomends ???
what did you do with the antenna? If you try to thread it through the way the stock antenna is routed, its too short to even poke up above the motor so the motor could be clocking the signal... Odd that it would still do it when its in your hand though...... I cut a notch in the side of the box right where the antenna mount is located and thread it directly in there so it is long enough to at least poke up above the motor... I also put some grease around where i cut the notch so hopefully its still waterproof...

As for thermalling, what is the terrain you are driving on? if its grass then that's why... even with the speed pinion traxxas recommends only flat paved surfaces... if you are driving elsewhere, you need to gear down more...

dacaur 07-03-2009 10:19 PM

fox23- Here is another thought, the higher the voltage you put into an ESC, the less amps it puts out its BEC.... its 1.5 amps on a single pack, so with two packs in series, it may just be too low to keep the voltage above what the spektrum RX needs at all times.... You wouldn't see it with the stock RX because its more flexible with power requirements... Try it with a single pack or your two packs in parallel and see what happens... if that fixes the problem, you just need an external bec...

fox23 07-03-2009 10:59 PM

ya when i first installed it i realized that the antenna was way to short to go the stock route so i drilled a hole right beside the antenna mount and ran it up there, it was tall enough to just stick up above the body. i just ran it on one 2s lipo for the whole battery life out on the road and had no issues at all, but i had my receiver box off with just the receiver taped down and the antenna sticking straight off the receiver and not too much taller than the motor.

as far as thermaling, i was running it on the street the whole time. and i have numerous holes in my body for cooling.

KRO 07-03-2009 11:50 PM

So me and my bud were racing our E REVO's on my track tonight and we had a BLAST !:D

We were running for 1/2 hr at a time with the Zippy 1800mAh 2s LiPo's (2 ran in parallel) . We then switched too Zippy 1050mAh 3s Lipo's me with 23/50 and the Castle ESC him with the VXL and 23/55 , I expected too thermal about 8-10 minutes into the run , I did but my friends kept going all the way till the LVC kicked in !

He was still just as fast as I was but his temps were only in the 160 range and no higher ! It was also still very quick on 2s and temps were so low I didnt bother too temp it .

Thomas P 07-04-2009 01:29 AM

I have always been running non cap on my Spectrum Rx, until a year ago, cant run with out a cap, it loose the signal...as you can se in my pic i have a installed one next to the Rx with a RPM sticker on..

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...6/DSC_0043.jpg