RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/1-16th-1-18th-mini-micro-rc-cars-235/)
-   -   OFFICIAL MINI E-REVO THREAD!!! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/1-16th-1-18th-mini-micro-rc-cars-235/8846989-official-mini-e-revo-thread.html)

Gatorb8 01-04-2011 08:27 AM

RE: OFFICIAL MINI E-REVO THREAD!!!

Went to the beach last night to watch sunset with the wife. Had to bring this MERV and see what is was like in a big parking lot.
AWESOME! Handles really well. I do have trouble keeping it right side up! Think the MHz antenna may be an advantge????? my little Ghz short antenna doesn't help...ha!
After a few runs I couldn't resist the sand dunes....OMG what a blast tearing up, down, and around the dunes!
Today I looked at it and sand everywhere...yikes! went out to the garage and used the compressed air for about 5 minutes to get it all off.
Should I break it down anyfurther to see if sand got in anything?

brianjskora 01-04-2011 08:43 AM

I think stock cutoff is about 3.3 - I read that somewhere or determined that when I had the stock ESC

Sand is the enemy of your diff. If it got in there, it wont be long before you strip one, but its something that will take about 20 -30 minutes to completely tear down and reassemble, but its up to you! If it rolls smoothly, you are probably fine. If its seems to be "grinding"... well... tear it down.

I love tearing my RC's down and rebuilding... so I do it all the time... my buddy hates doing it though, so its up to you. He usually buys the beer and I maintain his RC for him haha- I guess what im saying is that if you dont mind rebuilding, Id tear it apart, clean everything, put it back together, and have a brand new RC ready to go, plus you know every bolt of it.

honda2237 01-04-2011 08:52 AM

ORIGINAL: J0EC00L

Nice setup skora!

I've got a big tool box on wheels that could carry everything and more, just too big to lug around. I may have to look into one of those hauler bags.

I've come to the conclusion that I want to put the big block on the rally and get sone grippy tires that drift just a little.

The merv is just fine as it is... However, I really want to try a gas powered rc. Looking at getting a revo 3.3
My brother in law has a jato 3.3 and I had a blast driving just the two wheel drive speed machine.

I had an unfortunate battery accident with my rally. The balancing wired got caught near the inner tire well and melted together, causing sparks galore! Boy did I rush in a hurry to cut the negative wire... Too late. Battery was hot and ballooning. Didn't explode or melt or catch fire - but I disposed of it. Thank god it was already low on juice. Now I'm down to 1 3s, but am definitely worried about running two batts now. I would rather run one and save space from too much wires and mess.

Now gas is different and I know alot of maintenance comes with those, but he was able to run a couple hours more cus he only had to replace fuel and monitor temps and fuel air mixture; which, once you've dialed it in, you're set.

Anyone got a 3.3 revo collecting dust.
I use to have a jato 2.5 and loved it. Good luck on your revo hunt, i ordered a sc10 factory team, and it should be here today. that sucks about the battery, i've had similar things happen before.

gforce2448 01-04-2011 09:09 AM

I take my Merv to the coast now and then...it's a blast on the dunes especially with the sand tires I have. But, clean up isn't fun. Takes longer to clean it up than the time I run it. Oh well...Idon't have a compressor but find canned air works great to get the sand out of all of the small areas. I tear my Merv down every now and then but not after every trip to the beach. The diffs aren't totally sealed but they are enclosed at least pretty good. Also, Ihot glued the bottoms of mydiff housings to cover up the seam. It's easy to peal off if I have to get into the housings to do maintenance. Once you tear your Merv down once or twice it will seem easy and not too much work. But, like Skora said, if you hear something that doesn't sound right or it just doesn't run right...tear into it as it will save you money and downtime catching it before a diff or something goes bad.

brianjskora 01-04-2011 09:13 AM

I recommend what gforce said about glue on the diff when reassembling. I use a fine bead of shoe goo and I make sure it spins freely when dry. Seems to help a TON

J0EC00L 01-04-2011 01:51 PM

I second what skora and gforce said. Break it down anyways and clean it just to be sure... Plus, you'll learn how to tear down and rebuild the merv. After a few times, you'll be set!

Don't get me wrong, I love electric and will never get rid of mine, I just want to have a nitro one to mess around with while the batts charge or if I just want to run an rc without having to make sure batts are balanced.

I am going to install the big block in the rally, there is more clearance under the body cover to house the extra wires and esc and motor. I plan on leaving the rcvr box right where it's at. Due to the width of the body, I can make a platform that extends to house the mamba max or winder.

Quick question: I have a new winder or my used mamba max I could use to push the rally and it big block - I want to use the mamba max, but was wondering if the winder can handle the big blocks fine?

Joe

Gatorb8 01-04-2011 03:17 PM

OK, I'll break down the diff's, do I need special oil or grease to re-assemble?

how bout the tranmission, is it sealed? Should I break it down? oil / lube?
thanks!

honda2237 01-04-2011 03:35 PM

Honestly, if I was you and was breaking down my diff or tranny, I would buy some gorilla snawt, its the best grease I've ever used, its on eBay, but you can Google it and see what everyone else says about it. But if you want something cheaper, you can get lithium grease at an automotive place and its just as good as the grease from the hobby shop. Also put some diff fluid inside the diff.

gforce2448 01-04-2011 05:38 PM

Joecool, Ihad a 1/16 nitro Chaos buggy before I got my Merv two years ago. It was fun and Ididn't have too much trouble with it. Being a Sportswerks it was hard finding parts for but I was able to find parts online. I kind of wished I kept the little guy and learned more about nitros. I love my Merv and it is 2-3 times faster than that nitro buggy. But, something about the sound and smell of a nitro is awesome! lol I did get rid of it because the track I go to mainly is on a State Park and nitros are outlawed because of the noise ordnance. Also, there just wasn't that many places else to run it. I think if I lived closer to the ocean Iwould have a larger nitro for use on the beach as there are areas you can drive your car out on to so a nitro would be great there. For now I am sticking with electric/brushless R/Cs but who knows...one day Imight have another nitro.</p>

dacaur 01-04-2011 05:43 PM

I used to be in the nitro camp... You can run a nitro all day long yadda yadda yadda... until I got sick of the finicky little pieces of.... well... I just got tired of tuning... the temp changes re-tune, the humidity changes re-tune, the time zone changes re-tune :D I sold my Losi LST XXL and 2 t-maxx's and used the money to buy a gun :D.... my electrics I can run at 100F or 20F, they dont care. Put the batteries in, and go!!!... There was a time when nitro was king... to get GREAT performance AND long runtimes, nitro was the only option. Lipo and brushless changed all that! Now I can run my mini e-revo at nitro speeds for 30 min straight, while the nitro guys have to pull in ever 8 min and add another $1 worth of fuel to the tank :D

domizgood 01-05-2011 11:33 AM

Nitro sucks..... lipo rules..... end of.....nuf said.

Gatorb8 01-05-2011 11:59 AM

ORIGINAL: honda2237

Honestly, if I was you and was breaking down my diff or tranny, I would buy some gorilla snawt, its the best grease I've ever used, its on eBay, but you can Google it and see what everyone else says about it. But if you want something cheaper, you can get lithium grease at an automotive place and its just as good as the grease from the hobby shop. Also put some diff fluid inside the diff.
is diff fluid anything special?
have to buy it at hobby store or can I use something from the auto store?

honda2237 01-05-2011 12:03 PM

You have to get diff fluid from the hobby shop, the lithium grease you get from the auto shop, and gorilla snawt(highly recommended) from eBay.

honda2237 01-05-2011 12:04 PM

You have to get diff fluid from the hobby shop, the lithium grease you get from the auto shop, and gorilla snawt(highly recommended) from eBay.

brianjskora 01-05-2011 12:05 PM

I usually dont take apart my DIFF itself... I just take apart the diff housing, to clean the diff gears and bearings. If you want to change the fluid for a stiffer or looser diff, then taking the diff completely apart is the way to go. I dont think dirt can get in the actual diff, I could be wrong.

Either way, you need to grease the gears on the diff like mentioned above.

If you decide change the diff fluid, you will need diff fluid which I usually get from tower, but im sure a LHS has it ( edit - Honda beat me to it- Im going to look at the gorilla stuff too isntead of lithium for the gears)

J0EC00L 01-05-2011 03:32 PM

Ok,

Well I guess I need to do some thinking. I really enjoyed my brothers jato 3.3. It's only 2wd, but was really fast and handled amazingly. Meaning, it didn't flip over any tine I turned. The merv always flips over. I don't know why either. I was wanting a 4wd nitro like a revo or maxx.

I like the idea of a 4wd truck that has some clearance for rougher terrain or taller grass; but, also the ability to move fairly quick. Anyone have experience with the E maxx vxl? Or a Traxxas 4wd truck that has more clearance?

I love having my electric merv, but battery maintenance is a little more dangerous than the nitro maintenance. I guess it's something I initially thought would be not worth my time, but after messing around with the jato, I realized it's no different or time consuming than an electric. I like tinkering with real cars and having to tune a nitro wouldn't be any different. It's small adjustments unil the mix is just right. Once set, all you do is re-fill.

honda2237 01-05-2011 03:57 PM

i use to have a E-maxx brushless, and i loved it. Its a very fun truck, fast and is a great monster truck. The only thing is, it is a monster truck so it does roll easier. Or if you wanted something a little smaller, you could get a stampede 4x4 (which runs the vxl system). i use to have a stampede, and they are pretty strong, and fun. i use to do nitros, and they are more work than an electric.

dacaur 01-05-2011 04:15 PM

ORIGINAL: J0EC00L

Ok,

Well I guess I need to do some thinking. I really enjoyed my brothers jato 3.3. It's only 2wd, but was really fast and handled amazingly. Meaning, it didn't flip over any tine I turned. The merv always flips over. I don't know why either. I was wanting a 4wd nitro like a revo or maxx.

I like the idea of a 4wd truck that has some clearance for rougher terrain or taller grass; but, also the ability to move fairly quick. Anyone have experience with the E maxx vxl? Or a Traxxas 4wd truck that has more clearance?

I love having my electric merv, but battery maintenance is a little more dangerous than the nitro maintenance. I guess it's something I initially thought would be not worth my time, but after messing around with the jato, I realized it's no different or time consuming than an electric. I like tinkering with real cars and having to tune a nitro wouldn't be any different. It's small adjustments unil the mix is just right. Once set, all you do is re-fill.
The MER flips a lot because its a 1/16 scale monster truck with 1/10 scale speed and power... power up anything to insane speed and try to turn fast and if it has enough traction, its going to roll.... either slow way down before you turn and it wont flip, or keep ON the throttle as you turn... its when you let off the throttle and yank the wheel hard that you flip...

Ive never experienced an emaxx, but I had a t-maxx, and it would roll too if you turned sharp at speed... they are high rolling monster trucks... the jato is planted because its made for speed on road or on a groomed track. It cant tackle the terrain an e/t-maxx can.

One you might like, I have been looking longingly at the stampede 4x4 VXL.... looks like a sweet truck... not quite as high as an e-maxx, but more ground clearance than a jato... I never liked the dual shock setup of the e/tmaxx.... plus its way cheaper than a brushless e-maxx....

Battery maintenance is as dangerous as you make it. If you are talking lipo's, just be in the room with them when you charge them, or even charge them outdoors on the cement patio if you are worried about it:D The only dangerous time for a lipo is after a crash (danger of shorting) and during charging (danger of charging at the wrong rate) other than that.

Tuning nitro engines sucks... I sold all my nitro trucks and have never looked back or regretted it...

J0EC00L 01-05-2011 09:30 PM

Well... I've only known electric, and have had great success with them and as far as batteries go; I haven't had any charging issues or exploding issues yet - knock on wood - my only scare was that I hadthe wires on the balancing lead get shredded and tangled, which resulted in sparks and one fearful dude. I was afraid of the batt catching fire or exploding. I quickly cut the negative lead and tried cutting the balancing wires but due to their shredded nature and tanglement, I kept getting sparks, so I just disposed of battery. They were well run down, so I don't think there was enough juice to cause a massive fire. Another thing, can the balancing wires short the batt out and cause a fire? I was fortunate that it didn't happen, but it made me wish Nihms were alot better than just 10 mins of top juice before their punch was drained.

I'll have to re-examine the whole nitro issue. I think there are up and downs to both. Nitro requires patience in tuning, but once you've nailed it down, you can run for as long as your fuel can be replenished. I also know that you have to maintain the engine even after running to protect the internals of it. Electric requires properly maintaining the batteries and only being able to run in between charges. When your done, you have to store the batts properly through a proper charge. With nitro, I can store without any worry.

I know the merv flips easy, anything can flip over if you drive crazy at higher speeds. I know how to enduce the merv into a good turn without flipping, I just wonder if it's actually a result of the type of suspension it has. The unique design of the rocker suspension may be cause of it flipping easier than the older upright suspension found on most buggies and trucks.

Though, I really think you're right about the 1/16 scale with 1/10 power. My big e revo didn't flip as much, and it handled beautifully at higher speeds unless I took to sharp of a turn.

I'll have to look into the 4x4 stampede vxl. It's a shame I sold my larger lipos with my e-revo. Those things were really expensive.

Gatorb8 01-06-2011 07:34 AM

Joe,
I have been into lipo powered airplanes for about 2 years now. I have probably 60-70 lipos in various sizes. I leave them fully charged and as long as I use then every 2-4 weeks, no problem. We took a pole on the Pro Bro forum and every one leaves them charged and doesn't have an issue as long as you use them. If you are going to put them away for the winter or something, storage charge them.

As for charging, just about any newer lipo that is rated at 1C charge will take 2C in the field. Yes, you may shorten it's cycles life but no biggie, batteries are cheap, I want to fly/drive! Get a good charger and add a stubout to your car battery. Since you usually only use about 70-80% of capacity due to high ESC cutoff, that will charge them in less than 30 minutes at 2C. Lots of nano batts now do 5-10C charge....10 min charge! you only need 2 batts!

If you really like to eat batteries like I do, get 6 of each that you like and parallel balance them. Do all 6 in less than 1 hour. Now that does require a high current charger but there are many to choose from. I like ICharger's. Progressive RC has the parallel balance and main charge cables and is a great resource.

if you get in a bad wreck, put the batt aside for a day and observe. if it's toast, submerge in salt water for a few days to discharge and properly dispose.

now, this is based on observation and your experiences may vary..........disclaimer.......

joeyvaz 01-06-2011 10:31 AM

Hello Mini Revo group!!! I just finished reading the last 50 pages over the past few days. Some good info, but also some childish banter. LOL All forums are like this. Even the Audi forums I read.

Anyway, I just got my mini Revo that I ordered on Monday. Looks really sweet, but a little flimsy/loose if you ask me. I'm going to go over all the screws while installing the RPM Arms, front knuckles, and front bumper. I'm going to order more parts this weekend, but for now I'm good. I've had over 15 RC cars now: (2) HPI Nitro MTs, (2) Revos 3.3, (3) Mini T, Mini LST2, Mini SCT, Thunder Tiger EB4, (2) Micro T, and a POS Megatech off road vehicle that I can't remember the name of. And a couple of others I can't remember now.

So I got this to run with my son and his Mini SCT. I love the full size Revos so I had to have a mini one. Love the style of the suspension and overall look of it. I am selling the motor, ESC, and battery immediately. I'm not even going to run it. I have a Mamba Monster setup left over that is going in. PM and I can either post it on Ebay (100% positive feedback) or I can sell it through here.

Thanks for all the info. I look foward to putting my experience with this little guy on here.

Joe

joeyvaz 01-06-2011 03:37 PM

I put the RPM parts in and it tightened up the MERV substantially in the front. I had to trim the battery boxes to fit my batteries, but that was fine. I took about 1/2" from the doors so the wires can stick out since they were the thicker wires and not the little skinny ones. One thing that is bothering me and I haven't been able to figure out is the braking. It's virtually non existant on this car. I'm in Sport mode, lipo low voltage selected, and no settings changed on the controller thus far.

Any ideas on fixing my brakes to actually work?

Thanks,
Joe

J0EC00L 01-06-2011 05:50 PM

Interesting... Soak the entire battery in salt water then dispose?

Never thought about that before. Will have to try that technique if it happens again. By the way, how would you know the batt is toast? I can't determine if the packs are swelling since they already have a very slight puffiness to them. They have been like that since new, so I assume it's just the cover. I'm assuming that the swelling will be clearly obvious.

I figured my last batt was trashed since it was sparking at the balancing plugs.

Didn't want to chance anythIng.

Joe

honda2237 01-06-2011 05:57 PM

Swelling is not the best, I've had batteries do that and used them for a vary long time. The amount of care you put in your battery (which you do over and above), you shouldnt have a problem like that.

J0EC00L 01-06-2011 06:01 PM

Joe,

The stock esc does not have the ability to "brake" the motor. The mamba max you intend on installing will though. You can always tap reverse while rolling forward, but do this sparingly and in short increments. That will usually slow you down enough from high speeds prior to turning or attempting to escape a high speed crash.

The merv isn't perfect, but it's better than the competition in their stock forms.

A recommendation to all - I just came across some alum differential housings for the merv!!! It's about time they developed one, but I still hate slapping alum on the merv. Wish they made a carbon fiber one or one made from delrin plastic. I'm afraid the alum diff will crack under heavy abuse, something the stock plastic ones can survive; it's just their design flaw that causes the pinion shaft and diff gear to not seat properly under load. I've read stories where the diff was clicking brand new out of the box.

Joe