RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/1-16th-1-18th-mini-micro-rc-cars-235/)
-   -   OFFICIAL MINI E-REVO THREAD!!! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/1-16th-1-18th-mini-micro-rc-cars-235/8846989-official-mini-e-revo-thread.html)

ThEoNeS911 11-30-2009 06:50 PM

RE: OFFICIAL MINI E-REVO THREAD!!!

In parallel, you deliver (Ithink, don't quote me, Istill run series NiMh ) twice the mAh (in your case, 4400), which doubles the run time. However, you do not double the S rating. So, you would get 4400mAh 2S. The powerish of one 2S LiPo battery, but twice the runtime with it. As for the ESC, take a look at the manual and it tells you how to program the ESC for using LiPo. If you don't set up, you'll have to be extra careful, otherwise you may ruin your batteries. Here's a nice video from Squirrelod (great guy, admin of TheToyz forum) showing you how to set LVC, and change the mode (Sport, Race, Training) of it.:
www.youtube.com/watch

As for an external ESC, not too sure about that. Parallel and Series connectors do different things. You can't run two 2Sbatteries in series with the ESC , however. It's too much voltage.

Xrevo34X 11-30-2009 07:17 PM

Hello I'm new to this site and just wanted to show a few pics of my mervs. http://i644.photobucket.com/albums/u...nes7002/59.jpg http://i644.photobucket.com/albums/u...nes7002/13.jpg http://i644.photobucket.com/albums/u...nes7002/69.jpg http://i644.photobucket.com/albums/u...ones7002/6.jpg http://i644.photobucket.com/albums/u...nes7002/24.jpg http://i644.photobucket.com/albums/u...ones7002/9.jpg

mxracer154 11-30-2009 10:35 PM

Xrevo34x, Welcome to the site and those are some sweet MERV's! Mine are all stock, i am just running 2s and 3s lipos in parallel. Im thinking about picking up an external lvc and running 4s lipos :D

JOECOOL, Running your lipos in parallel would give you 4400mah 2s2p and double the discharge rate which would be 40c i think? Whatever one batt is times 2. Just run your lipos in parallel as you will be breaking many of parts on 4s until you learn throttle control etc. I just bought 3s lipos for mine and its crazy on those! I wouldnt even want to know what 4s is like! :D

And you don't need an external lvc to run your 2s lipos in parallel, you just need to switch the esc to lipo mode. The lvc kicks in at 3.6v and reduces throttle by 50%, then at 3.2v or 3.4v (cant remember which one) it will cut power to the motor and you will only get steering. When it is in lipo mode, the light on the esc will be green, and when the lvc cutoff is on it will be flashing red.

To set the esc in LiPo mode (taking this directly from manual)
1. Make sure the LED on the esc is on and red.
2. Press and hold the EZ-Set button for ten seconds. The LED will turn off and then light green. Also, a "rising" musical tone will be emitted from the motor.
3. Low Voltage Detection is now on.

z33guru 12-01-2009 11:34 AM

hey guys, just picked up a new mini e revo to complement my revo 3.3.  I'm really excited and it comes tommorow.  I think im going to just keep it stock for now, are there any must do adjustments or things to check out before i start running?  I mostly play in low grass, gravel or in the street.  I got the series connector and an extra battery, but i'll probably just run them one at a time for a while.  May do a lipo upgrade later if its worth it.

z33guru 12-01-2009 01:40 PM

Also, whats a good lipo recommendation for extended runtimes.  I would like to stay conservative and will probably keep the standard pinion in all the time.   Just want something that wont heat me up too bad and will last a good while.  And cheap preferrably.

J0EC00L 12-01-2009 03:22 PM

Thank you all for your answers... I guess i need to put the R/C into Lipo mode! Dang, i hope i didn't mess anything up. I ran it for about 10 mins the other, all i did was hook up the batteries in parallely with the y harness and took off. i didn't stay on the throttle for longer than 3 or 5 seconds, but that was probably just enough. next time, i will set the R/c into LiPo mode to save my ESC and batteries. Are you sure the ESC can handle the 2S 25C lipo's in parallel without damaging anything? Will the LVC built in properly work?

Should i change the gear as well, to savce the transmission and/or motor? It says that i should change it in the manual, but i really don't have a long enough strip to get the R/C up to top speed... i really like bashing aroujnd and doing flips! Which, brings me to my next question... How do i get the R/C to do the complete "flip" and land on wheels, and not upside down? I've seen the videos of it doing it from standing still, as well, seen it doing it while it was moving forward.

Lastly, XRevo34X - Which E-Revo is the illuzion? Looks like you've added some hopups, especially some nice alluminum or titanium parts? Did you buy it in that condition, or do the work yourself? I assume you added them, if that is the case, can you list what you did to the R/C, and, what upgrades or enhancements to the performance they brought to the R/C?

Thanks again for all your help!

- Joe

Xrevo34X 12-01-2009 04:43 PM

ORIGINAL: z33guru

hey guys, just picked up a new mini e revo to complement my revo 3.3. I'm really excited and it comes tommorow. I think im going to just keep it stock for now, are there any must do adjustments or things to check out before i start running? I mostly play in low grass, gravel or in the street. I got the series connector and an extra battery, but i'll probably just run them one at a time for a while. May do a lipo upgrade later if its worth it.

You might want to check out the a fan and motor sink for 15.99 andGPM shocks from THETOYZ.comonly 13.99 a set all alumor just change your shock oil to 70 or 80. Turnbuckles are a nice upgrade to adjust your rear toe. I own 2 of these and 1 is all custom and the other is all stock until I break something but I will be buying more of those shocks. And if you go the lipo route just get 1 or 2 2s lipos and run them parallel. That way you can keep in your stock gear and will give you plenty of speed and run time. This is almost everyones favorite set up. I finally bought 2 3s lipos and its gret on the street but almost an overkill for bashing. If you just run the baterries 1 at a time you wont have to worry about heat and you'll still have lots of fun but remember with a 2s lipo it will do about37mph a littlefaster than 1 stock battery.I have a revo 3.3 tooand barely use it since I got the mini revo.These things take a beating but the only issue I had was when I would do a standing backflip my driveshafts would pop from the yoke so that was my 1st upgrade traxxas cvd's but I don't do flips with my new 1 and the stock driveshafts are fine. Hopesome of this info can help you.

J0EC00L 12-01-2009 05:18 PM

Xrevo34 -

cool, thanks again for the gouge! (Gouge is Military Lingo for Necessary knowledge!)

I'd love to know all the hop-ups you did to the E-revo with alluminum... Was all of it worth it? does it still do back flips with the added weight? How much of an improvement do you see? Is it possible to run 2 Servos on these, or just 1?

I will switch the ESC to Lipo mode... i still will leave the gering stock. I seriously want to do the standing back flip thing, but if it cause too much damage, maybe i can just do them off of jumps.

So upgrading shock oil, shocks, drive shafts... anything else a must?

Lastly... in it's stock set up, i have a difficult time turning without slowing seriously down... when i turn the R/C, it is so quick, it just flips over on its side, sometimes tumbling back on all 4's so i can continue bashing... Is there a trick or set up i can do to better stabilize the Revo? I know better than to try and turn at full throttle or high speeds, but even at much slower speeds, it tends to flip over on to two wheels. i can dial back the steering response, but i like the ability to have quicker steering reaction.

Thanks again!

Xrevo34X 12-01-2009 05:26 PM

Thanks JoeCool for the compliments and yes I added all the aftermarket stuff over the last 2 months. I will try to give you a rundown on the items and what brand they are. If I forget something just ask me.Integy items are servo guard, motor plate, center skid,front and rearrockers, fr/rear shock mounts. Gpm fr/ rear shocks w 80wt oil.FFRC fr/ rear skid, and rear bumper. Driven products are heat sink for motor and esc and fr body post. STRC motor heat mount. New era fr bumper and rear body post and knuckles in the front with HR knuckles that I pollished to match in the rear. I like the HR knuckles better only cause the new eras use the stock plastic pieces.Hopper wheelie bar.Traxxas cvd's andalum turnbuckles and pushrods. Jconcepts illuzion body painted by ROCKBOTTOMLIDZ andcarbon wing. Dyed the chassis black with RIT dye.Traxxas 2.2 wheels with proline road hawgs tires.I use 2 1600 orions and 2 3s1500 flightmax lipos and 1 2s 2200 custom lipo plus 4 stock batteries. They have made the truck a little haevier but it feels strong. The main problem I had befor was I kept popping the driveshafts off so I added the cvd's and that cured that problem. The shocks are a must have and they are not expensive at all, I just added 80wt oil. Before I had the skids on there I hit a pole and broke the chassis and fr bulks in half. Haven't had any issues since the alum upgrades.Here are a few more pics and I hope I helped. If anything else your curious about just askhttp://i644.photobucket.com/albums/u...nes7002/52.jpg http://i644.photobucket.com/albums/u...nes7002/18.jpg http://i644.photobucket.com/albums/u...nes7002/20.jpg And a few with its bigger brother w the OS.21 TM in it.

Xrevo34X 12-01-2009 05:51 PM

ORIGINAL: J0EC00L

Xrevo34 -

cool, thanks again for the gouge! (Gouge is Military Lingo for Necessary knowledge!)

I'd love to know all the hop-ups you did to the E-revo with alluminum... Was all of it worth it? does it still do back flips with the added weight? How much of an improvement do you see? Is it possible to run 2 Servos on these, or just 1?

I will switch the ESC to Lipo mode... i still will leave the gering stock. I seriously want to do the standing back flip thing, but if it cause too much damage, maybe i can just do them off of jumps.

So upgrading shock oil, shocks, drive shafts... anything else a must?

Lastly... in it's stock set up, i have a difficult time turning without slowing seriously down... when i turn the R/C, it is so quick, it just flips over on its side, sometimes tumbling back on all 4's so i can continue bashing... Is there a trick or set up i can do to better stabilize the Revo? I know better than to try and turn at full throttle or high speeds, but even at much slower speeds, it tends to flip over on to two wheels. i can dial back the steering response, but i like the ability to have quicker steering reaction.

Thanks again!
With the bigger wheels it don't flip as much causethey are wider by an inchor so.I dont try the backflips any moreand having the wheelie bar throws it off when I try, but it would only do it when I ran 2 stock batteries in series or a 2s lipo. I'm not sure what your runningI also have replaced 2 rear diffs so I been a little softer on it. People do run 2 servos but get advice from someone who has done it cause I hear the servos will fight each other if you don't do it right. I like to make my rc's look nice so all this wasn't necessary so I mainly use this 1 on the street and my new 1 in the mud and rough terrain. I'm happy with the way it handles so to me it was worth it cause it looks good and feels strong.

Xrevo34X 12-01-2009 05:56 PM

JOECOOL here are a few pics of the difference between stock and aftermarket wheels. http://i644.photobucket.com/albums/u...nes7002/51.jpghttp://i644.photobucket.com/albums/u...nes7002/32.jpg http://i644.photobucket.com/albums/u...nes7002/34.jpg

wyattroa 12-01-2009 06:31 PM

ORIGINAL: z33guru

Also, whats a good lipo recommendation for extended runtimes. I would like to stay conservative and will probably keep the standard pinion in all the time. Just want something that wont heat me up too bad and will last a good while. And cheap preferrably.

These are what im using. I run them in para and get around 50minutes of run time.
robert

http://hobbyking.com/hobbycity/store...idProduct=6540

J0EC00L 12-01-2009 06:52 PM

Great stuff Xrevo34! I can get the R/c to pop the wheel and flip over, but without the aid of a small lip or bump, i can't get the revo to do the full flip! It flips over, but lands upside down!

I guess i'll forgo the flipping over anyways, especially if it does more internal damage... I think it does flips on it's own when you go off ramps, mainly due to the weight balance and shift when it goes airborne!

As for my batteries: I have the Turnigy Flightmax 2200 mAh 2S 25C Lipos, running in parallel. Everything else it stock at the moment. I just took it to the baseball field and had a blast!! The grass was well maintained and was nice and short - resembles a very nice football field or similar to turf! The infield was nice and soft - Perfect for this car!!!!

i have yet to drain these batteries... i am afraid of running too long without a good heat sink and fan - i don't want to fry the ESC or motor. Will my battery set up do that? What is the best way to run these? I usually run it for about a minute or so and then stop...wait about 30 secs after either laughing in amazement or chasing after the car cus it fliped over. I guess that will extend the run times and save on damage... i hope that i don't over heat it, but i don't think i will since the batteries aren't as strong as what others are fitting in theirs.

Does the wheelie bar inhibit flips off of ramps? I think the shocks and driveshafts will be my first hop-ups. I may also do the turnbuckles and tie rods if those are a must in conjunction with shocks and driveshafts.

sorry for the rabbit trails in my post, but thanks again for your help! I will never buy another losi product again - Traxxas all the way!

Xrevo34X 12-01-2009 06:59 PM

I 100% agree with wyattroa with that lipo 1 or 2 of them in parallel. 2s is great speed and you will have long run time with those and you can buy a cheap lipo charger for under 30 bucks from that place too.

z33guru 12-01-2009 07:30 PM

Awesome, those batteries are cheap, I'm going to pick up about 4 when I get paid along with a pair for the E firestorm. What do i need to run two lipos in parallel? Does the truck come stock with a connector to use a lipo? or do I need some type of adapter to run them? I already have a good lipo charger for my helis.

J0EC00L 12-01-2009 07:32 PM

yeah,

i got the Turnigy Lipo charger too! for about 30 bucks, it is the Turnigy 400 charger/balancer. Does 7 and 11 volt! Will charge 2 batteries at a time!

Xrevo34X 12-01-2009 07:37 PM

JoeCOOL your running a good set up one of the better ones in my book. Some people have the same problem and say they can't do backflips. My merv with the 2s might do it with the fresh charge a few times but alot with 2 stock in series. I do the same thing run for a few then check to see how hot but THETOYZ.com got a nice heat sink w fan for 15.99. I might get 1 cause it came out a few days after I ordered the heat sink w/o fan. The wheelie bar won't have any effect in the air wiyh flips so no worries. You don't have to change the turnbuckles and ties when you do the shocks or cvd's so do 1 at a time or when you have the extra money or when something breaks. The GPM shocks are great especially if you run 2 batteries cause of the weight so that would be my top choice of the hop ups. Glad I could be some help, I see your lucky to be in FLORIDA alot of my family is down there and its been 3 years since I've been down there. I use to go every winter as I use to stunt ride motorcycles a past hobby of mine. Its funny cause my half sister says its cold down there when its 70. I only wish we had 70 right now..

J0EC00L 12-01-2009 07:38 PM

Z33 - you have to get the Y Harness. Look on ebay, i bought one for about 8 dollars, free shipping. Your Traxxas manual should also have the part number; but, if you search for Traxxas Y Harness, you'll see about a hundred pop up.

Batteries are fairly cheap... you may be lucky and get them with the Traxxas connectors on the end... or you can do what i did, i bought the set for about 35 bucks off ebay, free shipping. I was willing to pay the extra few bucks to save myself from having to solder the traxxas ends on. It's not hard, but i wanted them right away, and didn't want to wait on ordering batteries, plugs and having to hope they made it at the same time.

If you are on a budget... Turnigy is the way to go for Budget Performance

- Joe

Xrevo34X 12-01-2009 07:41 PM

z33guru You need a parallel connector ask your LHS or order 1 online fleabay..

J0EC00L 12-01-2009 07:49 PM

Xrevo34,

Florida is very nice! Especially during the Winter, but i also love it cold too! To me, 70 is just right! It will probably never snow where i am stationed at, but i know my next duty station gets a little colder than the Keys. Tampa will be a nice change, plus, there are alot more places to drive these R/C's than in the Keys!

I will get s few hop ups, i think i will do the heat sink with fan, but wouldn't that draw some current from the battery as well? I assume the fan runs off the ESC or soemthing to the tune of that. Will the heat sink and fan make a huge difference? Or, are they more for protection?

Motocross - i would have loved to have done that in my past, but i played sports year round, so taking the risk of breaking some major appendage was a scare i didn't want to face - especially being a pitcher - have to keep that arm safe :)

I wonder if i they make aftermarket bodies for these 1/16 scale R/C's? Something a little different, like maybe the new camaro or new challenger body! that would be sick!

- Joe

Xrevo34X 12-01-2009 08:39 PM

Joecool yeah 70 is just right and Tampa is where my sister lives I use to stay over there and go to lakeland drag strip to practice. The fan does plug into the reciever but its worth it from what I know and I don't think you'll notice any difference. I have 1 on my rustler vxl and love the fan,haven't had any heating problems since I installed it so thats why I will be ordering 1 of those fan/heat sink plus 1 pair of gpm shocks for my new merv cause I put my new era alum shock parts on the front of the new merv so the front is good for now. I don't like changing the gears thats why I put a 25 pinion in my custom 1 cause thats the 1 I use the 3s lipos but I might have to go smaller cause of the bigger wheels. The 28 pinion is perfect for the 2s lipos that you running so don't sweat it. As far as bodies go the jconcepts Illuzion and proline Slipstream and that warthogg or something like that. On ebay right now  there is a 1/12 scale Midnight pumpkin body and low profile wheels that is for a slash, its pretty sweet looking like candy red  but might work on the merv. Check it out type [ 1/16 body slash ] I've seen some custom bodies but you have to modify like velcro on the sides.Its worth it if you can find a body and you have to modify a little.  But I cant wait til there is more body choices. Just heard that RPM should have arms out around the end of the year or early Jan but not dyeable one cause they haven't been a good seller lately but hopefully blue and a tru track would be sweet. I'll tell you 1 thing is that w the Jconcept body there is alot more room under it so your wire aren't all smashed. I also heard the slipstream body is not as thick which is a surprise for it being a proline but the + of it is it has the air scoop under the window. That is another thing I forgot to tell you just cut a hole in the windshield for air flow. I heard that fixes any heat issues. Sorry I been typing 4 ever just giving some info that I hope will help ypu.

z33guru 12-01-2009 09:08 PM

Ok, I have 2 NIMHs with the traxxas connector, the one with my kit and I ordered an extra at the time I placed my order. I got them so I could roll on day one. I am familliar with the traxxas Yconnectors too, I actually ordered the series one but not the parallel one on accident. Are these the ones I need to run lipos in parallel as well?Thats what I was asking, I don't get mine til tommorow so I dont understand how that works...All the heli lipos I have come with a different connector that wouldnt fit the traxxas plug for sure! Do Ihave to clip the wires on the lipos, and solder my own traxxas connectors in order to make it work properly?

Xrevo34X 12-01-2009 09:28 PM

It looks like THETOYZ.com has a new item by GPM a whole set of turnbuckles and pushrods that are all adjustable which is good cause you cant adjust the traxxas pushrods and they are like 22.99 for all 8 pieces. That is cheap plus they come in silver, red, and blue. About to order a set I was just ordering a silver alum steering assembly from GPM when I saw them.

J0EC00L 12-01-2009 11:35 PM

sweet deal on the Toyz! I will order the heatsink with the fan. I will have to wait on everything else for the time being... i just dropped about 350 down on the car, lipos, and harnesses! So, all the other hop-ups will have to wait for about a month or so :)

Thanks for the awesome gouge Xrevo34... Truly appreciate it! Thank God for forums and the internet! Being in the lower keys offers you no help! the closest LHS is in Miami, 2.5 hours away; plus, they are worse than Mr. Krabbs from Spongebob***** money money money money money! Yes, i have a 2 yr old, so i have seen every spongebob - i recommend watching, it does make many adults with a sense of humor laugh! Plus, without the forums, most of us would be left in the dark - wasting money

wow... i've reached a new low! no more nick jr for me!

Thanks again XRevo and everyone else

Joe

Xrevo34X 12-02-2009 12:28 AM

I just ordered the new silver aluminum GPM steering assembly for the merv with all the aluminum and I purchased a 2nd raffle ticket for the mini revo they are giving away. All donations go for toys 4 tots so its a good cause. Next week I'm ordering those new GPM turnbuckles and ties for my 2nd merv just dont know if I want silver or blue. I just like you can adjust the pushrods cause you can't with the traxxas alum ones. Then Fan and shocks next week sometime.